The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Diamonds in the Rough? Tell us your favorite "sleeper" gear. Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

Diamonds in the Rough? Tell us your favorite "sleeper" gear.

I'm just curious as to what gear you all are using that may not me the most well known but that rules for what you do, i.e. "vintage" gear that does not command vintage prices or newer gear that is not well known but pretty cool. I'll start:

Studer 169 consoles - Small and really cool. Nice limiter on the 2-buss.
Shure 315 ribbon mic - clean guitars and BGV's all day
AKG/Norelco/Guild spring reverb mic - the coolest mic ever!
RTZ Audio mic amps (new) - Good solid mic amps. No frills, just the good stuff.

Anyone else?
Old 4th December 2002
Gear Maniac

I've got this ancient EV dynamic mic, no model number, grey colored, diameter of the body is about the same as a Churchill cigar (30 ring?), flares out to a ball end, has sort of a microencephalitic-omni polar pattern, lo-cut switch, and some weird recessed ribbony thing down the side. I literally caught it as it was being thrown into a dumpster behind a church. It is my absolute go-to mic for electric guitar cabs. It has the character of a 57 with just a tad more presence (boost @ 8k?). I've never seen another like it.

I love the piece of crap, and would like another.

p.s. The last time I posted about a piece of sleeper gear AlphaJerk and some other knucklehead (I think it was Benjy) jacked the price on e-bay sky-high. I might have to stop responding to these things
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

AKG D222 dual elements dynamic mics from the 70's. They are great on kick, acoustic gtr, lots of things really! I have a couple of them in great shape (they are a bit fragile) and use them all the time. They have the punch and mid-focus of a dynamic but with extended range. (And thy were free! heh )

The RE-15 and M201 are also pretty useful and not too prohibitive but nothing "secret" really.

Also the GT small diam. tube condensers are way cool. At their actual retail price they're great, however I got my pair for $500 when Alsesis stopped distributing them!

Magnatone M10 gtr amp (70's). Way cool chorus effect! Really nice lo-fi quality for reamping all kinds of ****.

I'm sure I'll think of something else latter...
Old 4th December 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Beyer Soundstar MKII (looks like SM58/sounds better) and the
Beyer Soundstar X1 (or X19) that looks like a 421, and is somewhat punchier.

Chris
Old 4th December 2002
Here for the gear

RESLO ribbon - early 60's. put it about chest high, 1 foot in front of a drum kit, crush with distressor and - hello- instant loop.
Old 4th December 2002
s2n
Gear Nut

Fairchild 602 De-esser used as a line-driver. The de-essing circuit is bypassed. It adds a nice heaviness to bass and kick. It's all about the transformers!
CBS Volumax compressor. Sounds great on overheads or rooms...really trashy mid-fi sound.
Sony hi-fi stereo microphone from an old video recorder. Makes acoustic guitars sound sweet and wide.
Old 4th December 2002
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by cram
The last time I posted about a piece of sleeper gear AlphaJerk and some other knucklehead (I think it was Benjy) jacked the price on e-bay sky-high. I might have to stop responding to these things
i did no such thing.... only thing i bought off ebay was a moog 3band paraEQ and got it at a pretty good price in great condition.
Old 4th December 2002
ADR Vocal Stressor, has a nice spank to its compressor and a savage eq section..
Old 4th December 2002
Gear Maniac

I'm only giving ya a hard time

Quote:
i did no such thing....
I know man, I believe you, I was just giving you a hard time However, SOMEBODY drove the bids up. It ended up going for about 4 times what they normally go for. I'm sure it'll level out, the thing is totally a one-trick-pony.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:

p.s. The last time I posted about a piece of sleeper gear AlphaJerk and some other knucklehead (I think it was Benjy) jacked the price on e-bay sky-high. I might have to stop responding to these things
The best I have ever used is the Alesis 3630 compressor. They add that vintage Alesis sound. I even have two of them for sale. Bidding starts at $200.
Old 4th December 2002
Gear Nut

Roland SRV-2000, great drum reverb, still used by a lot of engineers, and can still be found for $150....

Amund
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

I gotta say that some of the older Lexicon units work for me. I just grabben a Lexicon Alex and it's cool for some stuff. Must be that vintage 32k sampling rate.......
Old 4th December 2002
There is only one

i really dig my lexicon vortex. i wont ever give that up... same goes for my digitech multiplay that everyone tries to steal from me.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

if i want something big wide and grainy i'll sample it into my old korg dss1...throw some of the internal delays on it and presto--fresh garbage.

my other fav is the kaoss pad...aux a track into it and play some fx real-time( while recording of course) and then chop and spread the tasty bits. not to mention it does double duty as a turntable pre for sampling..err, listening to old records.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

sleeper gear

If I could only have one guitar amp in my studio, I'd grab any of the basic silver face Fender amps made from around '68 to 78 or so. Not the big guns, just a simple little Princeton or Deluxe. These are some of the most versatile and bulletproof amps ever manufactured and they were $100 "throwaways" for almost 20 years

steve
[email protected]
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

I know I'll get razzed for this, but...

My PowerPlay headphone amplifier. Four outputs, balance, bass, treble, volume, left speaker, right speaker, mono and it was only $99 bucks.

Works for me.

Jasper
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

Re: sleeper gear

Quote:
Originally posted by hollywood_steve
If I could only have one guitar amp in my studio, I'd grab any of the basic silver face Fender amps made from around '68 to 78 or so. Not the big guns, just a simple little Princeton or Deluxe. These are some of the most versatile and bulletproof amps ever manufactured and they were $100 "throwaways" for almost 20 years

steve
[email protected]
I've had similar success with an old airline amp with the same tube compliment as a Champ, 12AX7, 6V6, 5Y3. Mic it with a 421 close in and it sound like Godzilla knocking down buildings! Mic it with the aformentioned Shure 315 it's like butta. Tawk amongst yourselves! heh
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

I've had a lot of luck with those old crystal element mics. They are noisy and can sound pretty ****ty on their own, but when I mix a very little amount of them in with higher quality tracks, I get a certain treble response that's ALOT closer to the way my ears actually hear things. I get especially good results using them as room mics for drums. You can get a really good "crack," from the snare.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

I like the #15 echo. No, it's not tape but it's still cool. I don't use many FX though.
Old 4th December 2002
Gear Addict

My 1986 Fender Sidekick 15 is surprisingly useful. I recently used it for a distorted slide track. It added a lot of nice high-end crap.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

Those little Smokey amps are cool to have around as well. kinda ratty when cranked, but the speaker out will drive a cab and it sounds pretty cool.

http://www.smokeyamps.com/
Old 5th December 2002
Lives for gear

Custom Australian Broadcast Corporation Limiters.

All FET based with great sounding transformers and with a nice and easy compression curve until it hits the nasty knee where it goes evil and insane.. ala 4 button 1176 or spectrasonics 610 (but not as much armageddon!!)

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 5th December 2002
Lives for gear

I have a few things that fit that category for me. It's mostly instrument related stuff...

Carvin Legacy 1/2 stack (Vin 30's)
Carvin BK4A bass I built from a kit (I've had more than a few bass players offer to buy this from me)
Fender Blues Junior
THD HotPlate (awesome tool.. never leave home without it)
Ventura V-13 6 string acoustic. This thing is a true sleeper. Has a certain sound I just haven't been able to find in anything else. I bought it in "81" for $135 and wouldn't trade it for any of the "name" stuff I've played lately in the under $1500 category. Mahogony body and sides with a brass nut, saddle, and bridge pegs. Also came with Grover tuners.
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

sennheiser MD21.

goes for around 50 bucks used.
probably one of the ugliest mics around.
it's a dynamic omni that can be really nice in front of guitar cabs or as squashed drum room mic.

michael
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

Berhinger Edison : GREAT spatializer... around $75, great deal
Berhinger Ultrafex : Killer as a bus send from Background Vocals
Using guitar pedals with a PCP : Almost ANY of the Z Vex pedals
Baby Monitor : Look for one at the next garage sale. Stick in front of drum kit, and mic. Monster LO fi sound. (nudge foward in time)
Alesis Wedge : Poor man's 480L, got mine for $100 new at a closeout.
Behringer EM8000 : I own a LOT of these. $30 for a very useful, but a little noisy mic.
Circuit Bent Speak N Spell Theremin : Ebay $50. I gave it away as a gift like a [insert polically correct term for ****** here]. Really cool. had a 1/4 output (try going into a pedal chain for extra funk) and would say what you typed.
DBX165 : 2 controls, input and a "compression" slider. around $75. GREAT on electric guitar.
Intersound PRV-1 Spring Reverb : About $75 used. A little noisey but what spring reverbs ain't? Really cool on Vocal ad libs for a different favor, plus you can eq things in/out on it.
Old 6th December 2002
Gear Maniac

I know, I'm anal...

Quote:
DBX165 : 2 controls, input and a "compression" slider. around $75. GREAT on electric guitar.
I think that is the 163 or 163x.

rollz
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

Not to beat a dead horse here but My Electrix MOFX is in heavy use.
Simmons SDSV....
Old 6th December 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by plexi
Roland SRV-2000, great drum reverb, still used by a lot of engineers, and can still be found for $150....

Amund
I know a lot of people use the Alex (Lexicon) for drums.
Old 7th December 2002
Lives for gear

Re: I know, I'm anal...

Quote:
I think that is the 163 or 163x.

rollz
Damn typos. Yeah, the 163X has an input control, the 163 doesn't. The 163x also has a pretty bitchin' HI-z input, so you can look at it like a DI/compression in one.
Old 7th December 2002
Lives for gear

as was mentioned.....blues jr. for clean i just crack it open a skosh and wow does it sound nice....put a large diaphram mic and open it up a bunch.....makes strats sing......theres the 'rex' amp....single ended like a champ...gold anodized like a marshall...one 8inch speaker.....and it crushes....$5 at a garage sale...all the aphex stuff i've bought...the compellors were around $100 ea and the expressors were less....all work in my dbx 900 rack i got for $100 brand new w/ a comp.eq. and a noise reduction......i took the 3630 out of the studio rack and now i use it in my stage rig...just a bit of 3:1 for the acoustic, a bit more for the electric and since its the last piece in the chain it makes a great overall volume control for those little places where volume is important and you still want [email protected]$62 w/ shipping...bargain?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search