The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Diamonds in the Rough? Tell us your favorite "sleeper" gear. Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 30th April 2007
Zoom RFX

My friend gave me his Zoom RFX unit to sell for him, at the time i had waldorf pulse so i ran it through the unit, i guess i was quite suprised really about usable the sounds were to my ears, especially for electronic music which isnt that high end alot of the time anyway, the point is, i recorded some of the efx and there on myspace
www.myspace.com/thealefandthetou

No this is not self promotion since i dont have any songs up there, just the samples, and i sold the unit a long time ago especially listen to the "step cry" effect, im not sure ive heard anything quite like it really
Old 30th April 2007
Gear Addict

Vox Brian May signature amp. It's this 5 or 10 watt all white little thing. I find that it's a great amp for a cool guitar tone. I picked 2 up for $150 at guitar center like 3 years ago.
Old 30th April 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram View Post
I've got this ancient EV dynamic mic, no model number, grey colored, diameter of the body is about the same as a Churchill cigar (30 ring?), flares out to a ball end, has sort of a microencephalitic-omni polar pattern, lo-cut switch, and some weird recessed ribbony thing down the side. I literally caught it as it was being thrown into a dumpster behind a church. It is my absolute go-to mic for electric guitar cabs. It has the character of a 57 with just a tad more presence (boost @ 8k?). I've never seen another like it.

Have you tried going onto Google and searching through images of EV mics?

Last edited by TocaLaGuitara; 30th April 2007 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: realized i was wrong in my original post
Old 30th April 2007
Gear Maniac

ps this thread is 4 and a half years old
Old 15th September 2007
Here for the gear

My Telefunken V672's I bought for $300. These things kick ass, I want a rack of 8 Great on vocals, snare drum and guitars.... if thats the sound you're looking for. Great midrange punch!
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Dynacord DRP-20 Reverb
Zoom 1201 Reverb / Multi-effects
Old 28th August 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
ps this thread is 4 and a half years old
I guess you'd call this a "sleeper thread"

I'll nominate the new SM Pro HP6e headphone amplifier... six beautiful sounding very loud channels, and as many as 5 separate stereo mixes! (only two at a time, per channel) beautiful piece of gear... just based on functionality, features, price, build quality, usefullness. the M Patch 2 is also a really great piece of gear, I use it as a monitor selector and volume control, sounds terrific, same accolades as above
Old 28th August 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticus View Post
Those little Smokey amps are cool to have around as well. kinda ratty when cranked, but the speaker out will drive a cab and it sounds pretty cool.

Smokey Amp Zinky Electronics
+ 1 on this...

Last edited by Gulliver; 28th August 2009 at 03:13 AM.. Reason: I'm stoopid...
Old 28th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram View Post
Nah man, I know what an RE15 is. This looks one looks like a bigger version of your finger with an olive on the end. Slim body, kind of an oval ball on the end. The recieve end half of that ball is mesh.

I wish it were an RE15, then it might actually have a little resale value.
Sounds a little like the EV654? or maybe the DS35?
Old 28th August 2009
Gear Addict

ensoniq dp4 if u can deal with the noise
Old 28th August 2009
Gear Addict

Yamaha EM100II Mixer. Beast of a thing, sounds very 70s rock. I plug a Metasonix TM7 into the reverb send which gives me an adjustable amount of tube warmth (not to mention the potential for chaos and destruction) on each track. Sounds great with ribbon mics.

By the way the Metasonix TM7 deserves a separate mention for the fact that it's called the Scrotum Smasher and features a cat with it's balls in a vice defecating into a contraption that eventually ends at the output jack. It also contains the statement "there is no bypass, only Zu'ul" and was shipped to me in a cardboard box reading "Star Trek is ********." Mind you this was at least a year before the most recent Star Trek movie came out. As for what it does, it's basically a tube distortion box, but at the most mellow settings is almost more of a subtle tube warming to all out sonic bukkake at it's craziest (did I mention there is a switch between blueballs and teabag?). That said in combination with the above mixer it allows me to turn my ribbon mics into tube ribbon mics which is nice.

You can see both in my avatar...

Yamaha YCR 231 and YTR 232 trumpets and cornets - vintage horns designed by Schilke and built to exacting specifications in the yamaha factory. Can be obtained for 100-200 on ebay. If you are looking to start playing trumpet and want a starter horn, or if you are looking for a cheap road horn for touring, these are great. Also they serve a purpose in studio work as well - they blend very well as section instruments, so for overdubs where you don't want the brass taking over your sound but just want to thicken things up a bit they are perfect. Apparently some of the later ones had some problems, but I love mine and have used it literally all over the world.

Sahiaman's Little Blondies. I have 2, am waiting on a third. Don't know if this counts as sleeper as these mics have their own thread on GS but they've certainly seen more use than any of my other mics as of late...

heh
Old 28th August 2009
Gear Nut

The Gretsch g5222 tube amp. It's sounds lovely, and was only $200 dollars. The tubes saturate in a very smooth way, and when you put a nice pedal in front of the amp, it can really open up the overtones.

And then,

Sahiaman's little blondie mics. I have a pair, and they really need to be heard to be believed. So natural and musical sounding, and they crush almost anything else I have for overheads, and guitars.
Old 28th August 2009
D K
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver View Post
+ 1 on this...
Got a bunch of em - They are close freinds of my neighboor's so they gave me a few - I think they are on top of my monitors in my pictures page on the site

Love em - sound like crap but lots of fun
Old 23rd October 2009
Lives for gear

I just got a pair of Sahiamans Little Blondies and they are my new favourite overhead mic by a lot. Oh, and they cost $85 each. A steal at 4 times the price.
Old 15th January 2013
Time to bump this thread again.

The t.bone CD55 tom mics from thomann, less than 20 euros a piece if you get the DC1000 set, and you get a free kick drum mic that you can use as a hammer as well.

Soundclips:
http://www.thomann.de/fi/t-bone_dc_1000.htm

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search