The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Diamonds in the Rough? Tell us your favorite "sleeper" gear. Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 31st December 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Supposed to be getting a EV 635A tomorrow, except it's "special" because it's chrome-could it be the same one used
in Glen Campbell's variety show in the 60's?

Chris
Old 6th January 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Well the "635a" turned out to be a smaller EV cardiod, but for how
little I paid for it, not a big deal.

On a more positive note, picked up a Vestax HDR6 digital SIX track for...$125! Seems pretty cool as a standalone editor for those like me who are computer challenged.

Anyone here have any experience with the Vestax digital recorders?

Chris
Old 6th January 2003
Gear Head

Chess, that Vestax was a way cool score!

I saw that on auction myself, but somehow missed bidding. Darn!
Old 6th January 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

It's been fun so far learning to use it, a LOT more than muddling through
Pro Tools. Definitely a "just punch record" type of guy though, it takes
about a dozen buttons to set this up for recording a track.
Along with the chore of backing up recordings if used as a primary
multitrack.
Nice for recording other people, however, for self-recording the simpler
Portastudio-type layout is sooo much easier, and less distracting.
Wait a minute... Now I'm preaching to the choir!

Chris
Old 6th January 2003
Gear Head

Haha, yeah, so true!

I kept my gearslut ways to a minimum in 2002, and still made some nice key gear purchases. I had fun with music, recording & gear in 2002. I got some gear, made some noise, and didn't go broke, haha. It was a good year. This year will be even better, I'm sure.
Old 6th January 2003
Lives for gear

Sony MUR-201 effects: (same as Ibanez SDR-1000+) only 26Khz sampling, but still has great sounding reverbs with dual engine capability that sounds as good if not better than a lot of the newer crap in the $200 range.

Ashly CL-50 compressor/limiter: Same design and a bit smoother tone than the older SC-50 model but with a newer VCA, less noise, Alps pots and nicer looking front panel. As good or better than a dbx160X or 160XT with added control of manual attack and release. Great guitar tamer...

TC Electronic 1140 and 2240 parametric eq w/ instrument preamp: Great, clean, good sounding eq with nice overlapping of freqs. A little shy on headroom though.

E-mu DARWIN: A great designed, uncrashable 8-Trk HD ADAT that was well ahead of it's time can be had for as low as $200 wihout any options. With the additional 4-inputs, ADAT I/O and sync, performs as an ADAT-XT with a BRC but without the lag of rewind, sync, dropouts, or tape transport problems. A real sleeper these days.

Mackie 1202 (any model): Sure, it is not the greatest of mic-pres and eq but my 1202-VLZ has been one of the best and most useable tools I own that has helped and solved more signal related problems quickly, quietly and effectivley both in the studio and on the road. It has never let me down. In fact just last week when the power supply to my console failed, I used it for several days to monitor on as I was doing tracking and was still able to send a cue for headphones with a dedicated reverb. It has paid for it's self many times over.

MiniMag flashlight. Keep it right in the elbow area of my console.
Old 6th January 2003
Lives for gear

Audiogaff writes:
Quote:
Mackie 1202 (any model): Sure, it is not the greatest of mic-pres and eq but my 1202-VLZ has been one of the best and most useable tools I own that has helped and solved more signal related problems quickly, quietly and effectivley both in the studio and on the road. It has never let me down. In fact just last week when the power supply to my console failed, I used it for several days to monitor on as I was doing tracking and was still able to send a cue for headphones with a dedicated reverb. It has paid for it's self many times over.
That is a great idea, especially using the 1202 as a backup for a broke down headphone amp or speaker amp.

Good tip.

Jasper
Old 7th January 2003
Gear Nut

Got a 1202 VLZ and it gets used as a Swiss Army knife-type solution to all my problems. At a pinch, it would make a good bludgeon for use on the terminally self-satisfied.
Old 7th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Yup the 1202 VLZ does many things for cheap and has a small footprint. Sends from the main board can give each player the freedom of his own monitor mix when tracking.
Old 7th January 2003
Here for the gear

EV 635a on crunchy guitars. Boring on clean guitars, but nice on crunchy.

EV DS35 cardioid dynamic. It's really picky about mic pre, but can sound really smooth. Findable for under $20 in pawn shops and the like.

Alesis Midiverb. The original 12 bit from the 80s. I bring that with me wherever I go. It sounds like a "something," as opposed to most cheapo digital reverbs which just sound like "nothing" but made horrible and reverbed out. Definitely a character box.

B*ringer autocom (shhh!) on acoustic guitar tracks when your using an acoustic to liven up a dense, dominently electric mix. It's gnarley, which is right for that sound, plus it helps make the guitar smaller so it sits back in the mix so you don't have to eq it as much. Also works in that capacity for layered harmony vox. Pretty much anytime you want something to be littler sounding, that box does it, which I think is pretty useful a lot of the time.

Meek, VC3q. The really cheapo one. Put up a 57 (any mic that's not busy doing something more important) randomly in the tracking room through that while laying beds. Let the compressor squash away. 3 times out of 5 you can bring up just enough of it in the mix so you can barely hear it, then back it off a hair, and you'll really miss it if it's gone. It's got the right "character" for that kind of thing but doesn't really sound very good, so you'd probably want to avoid using it on a featured sound if possible, but is the balls for something like that.

Japanese Tele's. Keep one around in Nashville tuning. Again, when you're layering stuff, the object isn't to have every element gigantic and perfect, 'cause you'll just be forced to reign it in later anyway. So these are really cheap, but sound okay and play alright and then you don't have to restring a nicer guitar when you're getting silly building layers.

Kay/Harmony/Stella acoustics. Perfect for that gnarly Mississippi acoustic sound. Plus they look cool as hell.
Old 8th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Keep one around in Nashville tuning.
What's Nashville tuning?

Jasper
Old 8th January 2003
Here for the gear

Nashville tuning is where you take just the high strings from a 12 string set. It makes for a really airy jangley type sound. It's really useful for layering because it has no bottom at all--all the lower strings play an octave up from normal tuning--so you can add a double type part without clogging thelower mids.

It also sounds different from just capoing at the 12th fret, because the high strings sound normally.
Old 8th January 2003
Gear Head

Shure Beta52: on loud guitars. Boring on clean guitars, but nice on crunchy/ loud cabinets.
Digitech TSR-12 Reverb/ Multi Effects: Mainly on drums but also sometimes on other background tracks
Crowther HotCake &/or Fulltone Full-Drive 2 Overdrive: Guitar pedals for anything distorted eg. Vocals, Drums etc. & great on guitars by the way
AWA Broadcast Amplifier Bar-2: a 4in 2out mic pre ... great on anything retro. Just sounds dirty and harsh yyeeeehhh
Small Stone Phaser: (original) - drums and entire mix.
Forestville Sydney Australia
Email: [email protected]
Internet: http://www.gtamusic.com
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by AudioGaff
E-mu DARWIN: A great designed, uncrashable 8-Trk HD ADAT that was well ahead of it's time can be had for as low as $200 wihout any options. With the additional 4-inputs, ADAT I/O and sync, performs as an ADAT-XT with a BRC but without the lag of rewind, sync, dropouts, or tape transport problems. A real sleeper these days.

I tried one of those when they came out. Thought it was going to be the bomb. It was not, at least for me.

A hard disc recorder with all the limitations of an adat.

AudioGaff, what do you use it for?
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
AudioGaff, what do you use it for?
I've got three of them for 24-tracks that I use for basic tracking and those who bring me ADAT tapes or don't need (or want to pay) for 24-bit/96K and/or the 1-inch tape. I use one ADAT-XT20 to transfer to the Darwins. I transfer from the Darwins to the DAW if I want to do any serious edits or use plug-ins, and transfer back to the Darwins for mixing. If I use an Apogee AD8000 for the A2D into the Darwins, I get some real good results. Using the Darwins without the DAW (when I can) keeps it simple and a real joy. No latency crap and because there is no transport lag for rewinds or sync-up, I'm always ready when the talent is and that makes sessions flow better.
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Addict

Benchmark DAC1- fer sure

Benchmark DAC1. It's rapidly exiting sleeper status, but the DAC1 has to be the single best hardware acquisition I've made in the last year. Everyone should have a D/A of this quality- otherwise you can't hear what you're doing.

Check this thread
Old 26th January 2003
Super Moderator

One of the most important "sleeper" (gear) device...

The Human Ear!

Try it, you may like what you hear.
It's surely much more important then the gear we use.
Old 26th January 2003
Lives for gear

Second only to the penis.

Yeah. Size matters.
Old 26th January 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Jasper
Talking of 'sleeper'
Old 26th January 2003
Gear Head

Though flawed in it's architecture the brain still seems
a valuable asset. It enables you to enjoy your brain & penis
& other I/O gear.

Earthworks QTC & Z30X (SR77) microphones.

Kind regards,

ISPdeRuiter
Old 26th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Jasper

Yeah. Size matters.
So true. heh
Old 26th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by bombguy
Early Langevin tube mic preamps. People talk about the AM-16 because they're relatively easy to hook up, but the beauties are the 116 and 5116. They also make an 117 which is a line amp...
I'm not trying to be funny.

At one point someone said, Manely's designs were based on the early Langevin tube mic preamps. My question is, what does Manely base their Langevin product line on?
Old 16th March 2003
Gear Head

Attention Gearslutz: It doesn't get any more "sleeper" than this!

Here's a whole M30 mixer for $56 & change!

See

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...2514498437&rd=1

for a limited time.

You have it all, right there: the Tascam M30 mixer. It features great sound, great flexibility, that great Tascam brown & great colored knobs & buttons. Many patch points, almost too numerous to mention, 6-xlr mic inputs, 2-hiZ inputs, 4-busses, pre's & nice EQ on all channels, fixed 10K and sweepable Mid & Low EQ, Monitor & Submix section, Mute. Try it,... you'll like it!

For $56, price/performance hardly gets any better than this, my friends.
Attached Thumbnails
Diamonds in the Rough? Tell us your favorite "sleeper" gear.-tascam-m30.jpg  
Old 16th March 2003
Gear Head

Actually, maybe it does,...

as I've seen a 1/2" Tascam 58 in a rolling rack auction for $78, just recently, a while back.

Ahhhrrrrrggggghhhhh!!!! Oh, it hurts just thinking of it, but you just had to be there. I was ready to bid on this 58 at the last moment, then a siege of activity [crap] came over me at work. Ah, damn work, getting in the way of my gearslutty ways! Anyway, on a different day that 58 probably would have been mine, probably for ~$80. We can all have wishful thinking, can't we? Anyway, I ultimately missed this deal, but someone made the sleeper deal of the century: Tascam 58/rolling rack ~$78.

A Tascam 58 for $78 beats an M30 for $56, true, but both are awesome sleeper deals. For my money in gear, that's where it's at.
Old 13th October 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Cat View Post
The Peavey 520i large daiphram dynamic mic. Not many around, but they sound good on guitar, kick drum, and even vocals. Look pretty cool too. They were maybe $300 new. Fat mids with a nice high end boost and decent low end response.
Yea I have one of those, but the other version 520tl or something like that, same mic exactly. Amazingly useful mic, but then I use any dynamic mic other than a 57 whenever possible (just because the 57 sound has been done to death and I prefer to walk a little crooked... that straight path thing has never been too exciting to me).
Old 13th October 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov View Post
Agree with Fat Cat, the Peavey 520i is a good vocal microphone.
Picked a mint one off e-bay for $60(!) recently.
Nice and sizzly (not harsh) top end.

Chris
I think I got mine for $35 or something like that cash. No mic clip but I use a universal one with it anyway (I don't do the whole cable through the mic stand thing with this baby, it's too much of a hassle).
Old 13th October 2006
Lives for gear
my Tascam M-224 24 channel 4 bus mixer.

Makes my tracks sound like my tracks. Makes me eq almost never. Makes sounds warm. Makes some noise but nothing noticeable if you know how to work with older analog gear. Makes me buy outboard phantom power supplies. Makes me use a second monitoring mixer. But still a heluva sleeper board.

$225 I think , might have been $250, either way, cheap. Had some damaged faders but replacements came with the board, had some missing knobs and some that didn't match but who gives, I can work that out later. It's the centerpiece of my studio now.

I've got high end high tech digital, some high end analog gear, medium end analog and low end digital and analog and I love it. My studio does everything I need.

But then, I used to get great mixes from a soundblaster and a radio shack microphone using software for everything and pc speakers for monitors, so I guess it's really more up to what you're capable of with your gear than anything else.

But things like the m-224 do make my world much easier at my home studio. When I work as a guest at a real studio it's never quite as easy as with my own board in my own room with my own patchbay and my own monitors...

Cheers,
Don
Old 13th October 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley View Post
my Tascam M-224 24 channel 4 bus mixer.

Makes my tracks sound like my tracks. Makes me eq almost never. Makes sounds warm. Makes some noise but nothing noticeable if you know how to work with older analog gear. Makes me buy outboard phantom power supplies. Makes me use a second monitoring mixer. But still a heluva sleeper board.
I have one of these sitting in a road case that I've never even plugged in. It was a throw-in with my Tascam TSR-8 half inch 8 track. I go without a console and when I need one I pull out the Mackie 1202VLZ. Someday I'll have to set it up- perhaps when I get 8 more ins and outs for my DIGI 002R. I know you said you hardly ever use it, but how's the EQ on that thing?

Mike
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post

The Human Ear!

Thanks for that, very helpful response indeed. None of us would have guessed that.
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post

The Human Ear!

I got a matched pair - consecutive serial numbers!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search