The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Diamonds in the Rough? Tell us your favorite "sleeper" gear. Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 7th December 2002
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue

Circuit Bent Speak N Spell Theremin : Ebay $50. I gave it away as a gift like a [insert polically correct term for ****** here]. Really cool. had a 1/4 output (try going into a pedal chain for extra funk) and would say what you typed.
If you want to deal with a computer you can go to www.analogx.com and download Sayit which is a speak & spell program. That might make you feel a little better ya chucklehead. I bet somebody loves you right now.

Cheap stuff, hmmm... Behringer Compser. I have a made in China one and it's really not that bad unless you push it hard but it's still the last thing I ever reach for. Other things I love are my pair of Aphex 651 Expressors. They get used on everything and I wouldn't mind having another one or two around. Way more usable then a 160 (of any kind) and cheaper too. Also, the Korg SDD-2000 delays. Other then having a really low output I love 'em. Not clean but great for guitars and vocals. I need to get another one but I need mics first.
Old 7th December 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisso
I know a lot of people use the Alex (Lexicon) for drums.
Again, huh. I'm not asking this rhetorically; I'm genuinely curious: What settings on this box turn you on?

I've always thought it wasn't a bad deal for $400 8 years ago, but nothing about it ever stood out in a PCM42 (or even Effectron) sort of way. What am I missing?
Old 7th December 2002
SawSlut

My #1 piece of sleeper gear: The Peavey VMP-2. Somehow this thing avoided the curse of the Peavey name and actually sounds amazing.

Ward Beck Preamps: Designed to compete with Neve, but never took off in the studio world. Wound up finding a niche market in the Canadian broadcast industry. If you look around you can find some old decomissioned CBC boards. I rescued one last year, rewired it to hook up directly to my converters, and I must say, they're absolutely stunning. Dave Thomas, THE authority on Ward Beck, swears they sound better than a 1073.
Old 10th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by atticus
I gotta say that some of the older Lexicon units work for me. I just grabben a Lexicon Alex and it's cool for some stuff. Must be that vintage 32k sampling rate.......
geez . . . . I'm old and you are young.
A Lexicon Alex is NOT an "older Lexicon unit"
A Prime Time MAY possibly be an "older Lexicon unit"!
Though I could even go back further.

*smile*
Old 10th December 2002
Lives for gear

How about a nice Delta-T? heh
Old 10th December 2002
Gear Guru

I'm hoping the Audiotronics Pres I just sent to my tech will be sleeper gear. I sound also have to say the Mindprint T-Comp is a sleeper. I think the list is $1200 and it sounds very cool, and has a lot of sonic possibilities.
Old 10th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
If you want to deal with a computer you can go to www.analogx.com and download Sayit which is a speak & spell program. That might make you feel a little better ya chucklehead. I bet somebody loves you right now.

Cheap stuff, hmmm... Behringer Compser. I have a made in China one and it's really not that bad unless you push it hard but it's still the last thing I ever reach for. Other things I love are my pair of Aphex 651 Expressors. They get used on everything and I wouldn't mind having another one or two around. Way more usable then a 160 (of any kind) and cheaper too. Also, the Korg SDD-2000 delays. Other then having a really low output I love 'em. Not clean but great for guitars and vocals. I need to get another one but I need mics first.
I still miss the theremin, but I love answering the phone with "Would you like to play a game of chess?". Thanks for the link.
Old 10th December 2002
One with big hooves

Now that's a movie I haven't seen in a long time. Enjoy it.
Old 10th December 2002
Digitech Valve FX - guitar pre amp (Silver crome & a blue display back light)

Ideal for last 'iceing on the cake' guitar overdubs.

If you have been tracking a lot with mic's using this babys cab simulated, direct outputs gives that last melodic hook line / motif doubler a chance to stand out for all the other gtr tracks..

I saw one on a session and reccomended it to Meg (Gearslutz webmistress) who bought one) then I did, then so did Steve Crittall, then so did several acts I've worked with. Word kinda spread.. They are cheap and easy to pick up second hand

Later on I learned a Valve FX and the Marshal JMP-1 pre amp were what Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins was using.
Old 10th December 2002
Gear Head

The Peavey 520i large daiphram dynamic mic. Not many around, but they sound good on guitar, kick drum, and even vocals. Look pretty cool too. They were maybe $300 new. Fat mids with a nice high end boost and decent low end response.
Old 10th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Knox
geez . . . . I'm old and you are young.
A Lexicon Alex is NOT an "older Lexicon unit"
A Prime Time MAY possibly be an "older Lexicon unit"!
Though I could even go back further.

*smile*
Yeah, but digital FX get older quicker these days. anything with a 32k sampling rate is positively ancient.
Old 10th December 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by OzNimbus

Ward Beck Preamps: Designed to compete with Neve, but never took off in the studio world. Wound up finding a niche market in the Canadian broadcast industry. If you look around you can find some old decomissioned CBC boards. I rescued one last year, rewired it to hook up directly to my converters, and I must say, they're absolutely stunning. Dave Thomas, THE authority on Ward Beck, swears they sound better than a 1073.
He would be referring to the M460 channel strips. Lot's of cheap and chearful 70's era opamps and a non-inductor, opamp based eq, transformer coupled discrete mic pre. -10db output level from the fader.

Better than is always a subjective thing. Better than a 1073 on what source using what microphone on what day, on what project/song.... Well, you get the idea. rollz

I've talked to Dave and he knows the Ward Beck stuff well, I don't happen to agree with him on some of the design philosophies that he thinks are "good enough" because I've had a different experience after spending countless hours making my WBS console sound good for music recording. The channel strips sound considerably different than a 1073, not really a Neve sound, it's unlike any Neve sound I've heard and I've got a few Neve sounds to compare it too along with using a 1073 numerous times.

Comparing WBS to Neve is a great tool for creating a marketing buzz and selling modules.

The WBS consoles did replace some Neve gear at CBC Toronto IIRC, but of course there's little or no WBS stuff left at CBC and the main CBC recording studio is running Neve again. My console was used to record performances to a Studer 8 track for broadcast on CBC TV and later regulated to handling live on-air voice feeds on a couple of faders. This is coming for people who worked there at the time.

Interestingly enough the sales rep I talked to at Ward Beck a few years back, when I bought their remaining spares stock was insulted when I mentioned the Canadian Neve thing. :eek:

Mark
Old 10th December 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by atticus
Yeah, but digital FX get older quicker these days. anything with a 32k sampling rate is positively ancient.
Yeah IMO it never hurt the sound of many 80's era digital boxes much, especially the Lexicon PCM42. You just don't seem to need full bandwidth from many effects.

Of course A/D converters are a different story.

Mark
Old 11th December 2002
SawSlut

Quote:
Originally posted by mplancke

I've had a different experience after spending countless hours making my WBS console sound good for music recording. The channel strips sound considerably different than a 1073, not really a Neve sound, it's unlike any Neve sound I've heard and I've got a few Neve sounds to compare it too along with using a 1073 numerous times.

Mark

You're mixing thru your WB console, aren't you? I'll admit I wasn't too impressed with the WB's 2 bus, so I can just imagine the fun you've had updating that section...:eek:

As for the whole "Canadian Neve" thing, my m480's sit right next to my 1272's.... and I use both for different applications.
Personally, I haven't even had a chance to lay my hands on a 1073 (goddamn useless CDN dollar) so I was just passing on what Dave said. But thanks for the caveat.

-0z-
Old 11th December 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by OzNimbus
You're mixing thru your WB console, aren't you? I'll admit I wasn't too impressed with the WB's 2 bus, so I can just imagine the fun you've had updating that section...:eek:
-0z-
Neither was I, currently I have a pair of Langevin AM16's handling to 2 bus chores. I've modified the 2 bus so that I can patch outboard pre's in there bypassing the internal bus. I can run anything from API to Neve's in that application depending on the color I want that day. Makes a huge difference.

Mark
Old 11th December 2002
SawSlut

Quote:
Originally posted by mplancke
I can run anything from API to Neve's in that application depending on the color I want that day. Makes a huge difference.

Mark

I'll bet it does. I'd love to hear a demo of it sometime!

-0z-
Old 12th December 2002
Lives for gear

Sleeper gear:

UREI LA-22 compressor
Sony DPS-R7 reverb and F7 dynamic filter (etc)... really nice reverbs, and filter/vocoder/saturator effects. ..
Master Room spring reverb... smoother than it should be.
Klein & Hummel studio monitors, especially the O300D (which I pimp a little on the side)
Milab microphones

the rest I've gotta keep to myself fuuck
-dave
Old 13th December 2002
Gear Addict

For the two buss summing application... What did you mean that you can patch a pair of preamps in for the summing operations?
How would i beable to do this on a mackie 24x8?

Marshall
Old 16th December 2002
Lives for gear

****e!!...i forgot my very favorite sleeper gear....four channels of symetrix 525....i use the comp on one channel expressly for the bass....just a touch of 3:1 or so....its hardwired to that channel....its allthe bass ever gets ...its frickin perfect! no eq...just the 1965 p-bass, all stock and the 525....and a di of course.......i guess the actual sleeper piece is the leo gadburnned fender bass.....its nice when you're getting ready to record and you already know the bass sound is gonna take a minute and a half.......................peece
Old 17th December 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Agree with Fat Cat, the Peavey 520i is a good vocal microphone.
Picked a mint one off e-bay for $60(!) recently.
Nice and sizzly (not harsh) top end.

Chris
Old 17th December 2002
Gear Head

My favorite sleeper gear is my Sytek MPX-4A four-channel mic pre. Clean, detailed gain for days, and I got it used for 500 bucks from a motivated seller. It'll make an entirely new mic out of even a lowly SM-57. I wanna get the newer MPX-4Aii to add to it, which I'm told is faster on transients.
Old 17th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveFortner
My favorite sleeper gear is my Sytek MPX-4A four-channel mic pre. Clean, detailed gain for days, and I got it used for 500 bucks from a motivated seller. It'll make an entirely new mic out of even a lowly SM-57. I wanna get the newer MPX-4Aii to add to it, which I'm told is faster on transients.
The Brown Burr option with a ribbon mic combo is schweet as hell on female vocals!
Old 17th December 2002
Here for the gear

I have two piece of 'secret tech' that I pull out for re-amping: my Fender bass practice amp, and the ultimate combo of my iMac's audio out + built in mic. <grin> Both of them mostly come into play when using softsynths.

For gear that's usable in more applications than this, my old Tascam 4-track and an old tape answering machine both come into play for effects boxes, and an early-90's model EV dynamic mic that often manages to capture the "Right" sound when other mics don't.

But this post of mine is sort of sounding more like a "weird uses for gear" thread than "sleeper weapons of choice". Ah well. The sleeper will awaken...
Old 18th December 2002
Gear Head

Here's the real ****, right here:

Tascam MX-80, rackmount 8x2 mic preamp/mixer
Tascam MH-40, rackmount 4-ch stereo headphone amp
Tascam PE-40, rackmount 4-ch/4-band parametric EQ
Tascam M-1B, rackmount 8x2 line mixer
Tascam 234, rackmount cassette 4-track
Tascam 246, 4-track/4-buss cassette Portastudio, 6x4x2
Tascam 388, 1/4"-7"-8-track, w/8x8x2 integrated mixer
Tascam 38, 1/2" 8-track
Tascam 34B, 1/4" 4-track, 10.5"
Tascam DX-4D, dbx unit for Tascam 34/38, [38 needs 2]
Tascam M30, 8x4x2x2 mixer
Tascam 424mkII, 4-track cassette Portastudio, 8x2x1
Tascam 564, Minidisc 4-track Portastudio, 12x2x2
Fostex 3170, Stereo compressor
Fostex 3180, Stereo reverb
Fostex 3050, Digital delay
Fostex FD-4, 16/44.1 4-track HD portastudio-like-clone, 4x2x2
Fostex FD-8, 16/44.1 8-track HD portastudio-like-clone, 8x2x2
Shure SM57, The quintessential piece of sleeper gear

-That's the real ****, right there.
Old 19th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
i really dig my lexicon vortex.
What settings do you dig, and what for???
Old 27th December 2002
Here for the gear

Electro-Harmonix 16-second digital delay
Old 27th December 2002
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by cram
I've got this ancient EV dynamic mic, no model number, grey colored, diameter of the body is about the same as a Churchill cigar (30 ring?), flares out to a ball end, has sort of a microencephalitic-omni polar pattern, lo-cut switch, and some weird recessed ribbony thing down the side. I literally caught it as it was being thrown into a dumpster behind a church. It is my absolute go-to mic for electric guitar cabs. It has the character of a 57 with just a tad more presence (boost @ 8k?). I've never seen another like it.

Sounds like you're describing an RE15. The weird recessed ribbony thing down the side is E-V's "Variable-D" acoustic labyrinth which yields a more consistant cardioid pattern at all frequencies, so I'm not sure about you're description of a big-headed omni pattern.

Great mic for electric guitars, trumpets, tom-toms...just as versatile a "utility" mic as an SM57 but even more indestructable, & w/ less proximity effect. I've got one, wouldn't trade it for the world.

On a similar note, E-V 637a mic (which IS an omni dynamic) is killer on electric guitars. Got mine for $25 on ebay!
Old 27th December 2002
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Sounds like you're describing an RE15
Nah man, I know what an RE15 is. This looks one looks like a bigger version of your finger with an olive on the end. Slim body, kind of an oval ball on the end. The recieve end half of that ball is mesh.

I wish it were an RE15, then it might actually have a little resale value.
Old 27th December 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
On a similar note, E-V 637a mic (which IS an omni dynamic) is killer on electric guitars. Got mine for $25 on ebay!
Do you mean the 635a? If not, I'll have to look for one of these as well.

Bear
Old 30th December 2002
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Gone Fission
Do you mean the 635a?
Oops, crap, yeah, I meant 635A.

-b

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search