The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
OK, so you're on a desert island, and...
Old 14th February 2008
Deleted df0b888
OK, so you're on a desert island, and...

I'm new to this forum. I am slowly building up some gear. So here is my question:

OK, You're on a desert island, and you can only take one studio vocal mic, one pre-amp, one compression unit for tracking, and one set of software plugins for post-production (specifically reverbs and delays, etc) - not that there will be a lot of clients on your island, but for the sake of argument - what would you take? Please consider the following when answering:

1) Don't consider price. I find value for price only complicates the issue.
2) Don't choose something you own just because you want to justify having bought it. I want to learn from experience.
3) Put aside all biases about where the product is made.
4) Please explain as specifically as you can WHY you chose the product you did.

I fully understand that different mics work differently on different voices, but for a beginner, versatility is crucial.

If something like this thread already exists, please forgive me and simply point me to it. I look forward to reading your responses!
Old 14th February 2008

Catherine Zeta-Jones.

-tINY

Old 14th February 2008
OK, I'll play. These would be my "desert island" can't live without them, studio components.

Vocal Mic: Peluso 2247SE
Why: I have yet to find something this mic doesn't excel on and especially with regards to vocals it's awesome.

PreAmp: BAE 1073 (or actual mint condition Neve 1073)
Why: It's probably the single most famous mic-pre/eq of all time and can be heard on countless records. The EQ is amazing and maintains a nice low end with a shimmering top end. No harshness in the entire spectrum. Pretty much any microphone you put through this puppy will sound incredible (as long as it's not a total crap mic of course). Plus, you can mix back through it as it has both an XLR mic and line input on the rear.

Compressor: DBX 160SL
Why: It can do both stereo and dual mono, it's built like a tank and sounds amazing. I use it every single day for both tracking and mixing purposes and now that I own two of them I find that both are used on every single mix I do. Great for acoustic guitar, vocals, piano, 2-bus compression, etc.

Plug-ins: McDSP Emerald Pack (for everything except reverbs/delays)
Why: It's one of the best sounding and most comprehensive plug-in bundles I've ever had the pleasure of using. ChannelG and Analog Channel are used on quite a few tracks when I'm mixing (at least the ones I'm not using outboard on)

Plug-ins: AltiVerb 6 XL & SoundToys (for all effects including verb/delay)
Why: AltiVerb is incredibly realistic sounding and can provide an environment for your mix without getting washy. The SoundToys bundle gives you Echoboy, which is arguably the finest analog modeled delay plug-in ever designed, along with a host of other pretty cool effects plugs.
Old 14th February 2008
Lives for gear

Pearlman TM-1

Pearlman TM-1.

THE best new U47 style mic out there and THE best bang for the buck. Sounds amazing regardless of $, it sounds great, it also happnes to be a fantastic price for what you get!

And think of if this way, a U47 is probably THE mic mos used and THE mic you'd want if you could only have one.

-andrews
Old 14th February 2008
Gear Addict

I'm gonna bring a pop filter. Why? Because I'll make millions overcharging for use of it on this desert island. Millions in coconuts.
Old 14th February 2008
Lives for gear

2x Horch RM2J (I only need one more!), Thermionic Culture Early Bird 2, Fearn VT7, Ampex MM1200 with some mixer, and enough instruments and Tennessee whiskey to keep me busy while stuck on an island.
Old 14th February 2008
Lives for gear

I realize that I pretty much wouldn't want to change what I already got:

-Shure SM7b

- Chandler LTD-1

- UA LA-3A reissue

If this doesn't sound good then the singer is the problem and not the gear.

(An U67 or Elam 251 would be nice but I'd have reservation about exposing these vintage beauties to so much sand)

Plug-ins? None.
Old 14th February 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmpro View Post
I'm new to this forum. I am slowly building up some gear. So here is my question:

OK, You're on a desert island, and you can only take one studio vocal mic, one pre-amp, one compression unit for tracking, and one set of software plugins for post-production (specifically reverbs and delays, etc) - not that there will be a lot of clients on your island, but for the sake of argument - what would you take? Please consider the following when answering:

1) Don't consider price. I find value for price only complicates the issue.
2) Don't choose something you own just because you want to justify having bought it. I want to learn from experience.
3) Put aside all biases about where the product is made.
4) Please explain as specifically as you can WHY you chose the product you did.

I fully understand that different mics work differently on different voices, but for a beginner, versatility is crucial.

If something like this thread already exists, please forgive me and simply point me to it. I look forward to reading your responses!
desert island eh? its probably too dirty, windy and noisy for something like a 47. id probably take a dynamic...maybe a 57 or a 441. for a pre maybe something i know will work on everything...like an api. for compression either my 2500 or my la2a (id just make sure i only recorded great dynamic players so it would be more of a colour piece). and the altiverb would be fine for verb. and i could get by with the all the digi eqs and comps that came with the protools set up i brought with me.
Old 14th February 2008
Lives for gear

Make up your mind..
is it a desert, or an island?
Old 15th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post

If this doesn't sound good then the singer is the problem and not the gear.
ya think?
Old 15th February 2008
Lives for gear

lol...no power on a desert island.
so everything would need to be solar powered.
so i would take a bunch of solar panels i could sell in exchange for food.
(tinys suggestion is good too ...lol..but i'll take my lovely wife.)

plus a 57 a rane ms1b pre, n blankets to keep sand outta the gear.
n a laptop running the daws in my sig.

i once was in a plane that lost an engine that had to land at a desert airfield.
not something i wanna repeat...
Old 15th February 2008
Gear Addict
don't want to rush into anything on this one, but right off the top of my head, Mary Ann and Ginger.............and in that order..........

and a TM2, pacifica, yamaha aw1600, knabe upright piano, a synth.....some harmonicas.....

...................takamine an10 guitar......more guitars.........amp..........denon ah-d1000 headphones.........monitors (just something that makes noise).............

Last edited by chasman; 15th February 2008 at 12:40 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 15th February 2008
Lives for gear

Would it be like Gilligan's Island?

Would I have to pedal some contraption that the Professor made to power my very well appointed studio?

u47
UAD

Just right for recording the Mosquitoes when they accidentally land on the Island
Old 15th February 2008
Lives for gear

Just Stella.
Old 15th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post

Plug-ins: McDSP Emerald Pack (for everything except reverbs/delays)
Why: It's one of the best sounding and most comprehensive plug-in bundles I've ever had the pleasure of using. ChannelG and Analog Channel are used on quite a few tracks when I'm mixing (at least the ones I'm not using outboard on)

Plug-ins:The SoundToys bundle gives you Echoboy, which is arguably the finest analog modeled delay plug-in ever designed, along with a host of other pretty cool effects plugs.
+1

And for a the recording chain a Great River ME-1NV, a SPL KULTUBE with Lundahl Transformers and an MAQ-2NV EQ.

PS: When you find a decent native Reverb let me know.
Old 15th February 2008
Mosquito net

mic: Brauner VM-1 (same kind of deal as Kittonian; haven't heard it sound bad yet)
pre: 1073 (a real, live, actual one, since money is not a problem; maintenance might be, though...)
compressor: Fairchild 660 (hot, just plain hot)
reverb *gulp* plugin: since there's no Lex 960 plugin, Altiverb I guess...
other: Mr. Beer with a ton of refills (if I'm stuck on a damn island, I will be drinking beer)
Old 15th February 2008
Gear Nut

SM7
API
Distressor
UAD
Old 15th February 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

Catherine Zeta-Jones.

-tINY

lol - yes, and 20 years ago.....

let's see, um -

radio shack pzm
fischer price dukes of hazzard cassette-corder pre
art tube compressor
and alesis midiverb iii

Old 15th February 2008
Lives for gear

I get to take anything that I want???

I haven't heard EVERYTHING but.... I'm guessing that I could record pretty much anything I needed to with:

u47
UAD

Duh..... heh
Old 15th February 2008
Lives for gear

I always wondered what it would be like to be on a deserted island
with a focusrite ISA 110 a U47 an LA2A along with Ginger and Maryann

How would I power the audio gear though? I just hope the SS Minnow
has a CVCF P.D. powered by a solar panel.
I'm sure the Professor could figure something out to get some mixes done
Old 15th February 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
I always wondered what it would be like to be on a deserted island
with a focusrite ISA 110 a U47 an LA2A along with Ginger and Maryann

lol

Old 15th February 2008
Lives for gear

a decent acoustic guitar, my 9'10" hap jacobs, and maybe a shorter 8'6" Weber performer. Choice of woman really varies - right now I'm hot for Marion Cotillard and Monica Bellucci.

Gear ? Couldn't care less by myself on an island !!!!
Old 15th February 2008
Lives for gear

God, all of those people who sayed that they would bring things they own, I despise you. I would bring the U47 1073 chain I will never own...

But also a tape machine. All you guys would be stuck without a way to record... dumbass!
Old 17th February 2008
Deleted df0b888
I see the u47 and the 1073 have shown up a lot. With that settled, are there any comparable products modeled after these 2 that don't cost as much?
Old 18th February 2008
Gear Nut

Based on what I've seen from my other part time job, I'd bring floss.

Neale Eckstein
FoxRun.Org
Old 18th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmpro View Post
I see the u47 and the 1073 have shown up a lot. With that settled, are there any comparable products modeled after these 2 that don't cost as much?
wtf, you said price was no object tutt

PS: U47, 1073, 1176, plugins that come with Logic Pro

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search