The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Jellyfish - Spilt Milk appreciation? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 11th February 2008
Lives for gear

Jellyfish - Spilt Milk appreciation?

yes, they copied queen, yes they copied supertramp, yes they copied brian wilson, but from a pure sonic standpoint, i gotta say that that album is pretty cool. so much time and effort must have gone into the recording and mixing of that record... the sounds, the reverbs, the keyboards... so many touches. just wanted to say that i love that record! anybody else feelin' it?
i know lots of people prob hate that record, and that's cool, but this thread is for anyone who actually likes it.
btw, i have a bunch of demos from that record somewhere. interesting (but not surprising) to see that they're pretty close to the finished product...
-J
Old 12th February 2008
I'll bite. I have heard all the talk about they copied this and that, but you can't deny that they had gorgeous melodies and harmonies, brilliant arrangements, and very clever lyrics. Not only that, as everyone who had the opportunity to see them live knows, they absolutely could pull it off live. Not just a studio band. This album is also a pinnacle of sorts for my reference cd pile and is very well recorded. Jellyfish was a gateway for me in my music education and lead me to all the bands they allegedly "copied" from. I always viewed their borrowing more in the giving a nod to sense or homage to their idols. Great band, great album.
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

I literally wore that tape out when it first came out. I've bought it since on CD and still throw it on every now and again. Brilliant album - great playing, arrangements, lyrics, vox (of course) and recording. I know they 'ripped off' Queen and others...who hasn't 'ripped off' some one? Rip Off is a terribly derogatory way to put it. Not fair, really.

Any how, good call...thanks for the reminder. A definite favorite
Old 12th February 2008
Gear addict

JJP at the top of his game, as well as some great musicians, makes for aural ecstasy...even if the songwriting is a little too "influenced." First album is my favorite for songs but the 2nd is my favorite for production.
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingUgly View Post
JJP at the top of his game, as well as some great musicians, makes for aural ecstasy...
some great string arrangements as well, IMO. alby galuten, no? i also noticed that jon brion is credited as playing some guitars... i wonder where.
i'm fond of the drum sounds on that record. they change from song to song but still maintain some sonic continuity throughout the record.
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

Even the critics can't out run the ghost at number one!

masterpiece from start to finish
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

Love it. One of my top 5 albums both in sonics and tunes.

"Ghost at Number One" is one my favorite songs.

Also the first album to turn me on to JJP.

Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

my #3 top album....ever
Old 12th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Definitely a desert island CD!
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

glad to see i'm not alone in my love of this album!
i also love the compression that's smackin' those drums!
anybody know what room is featured in that giant gatefold?
-J
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

If you are into Jellyfish, you might want to check out Roger Manning's solo records.

JP
Old 12th February 2008
Gear Maniac
one of the best albums ever, in every way.
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

I love it, I like the first one just as well though. I think they put JJP on the map.
Old 12th February 2008
Gear Head

no friggin way

So I work at a warehouse where I work with a bunch of dudes who are way into either new metal emo such, or pop punk. And we all rag on each others jams so I have never played Spilt Milk, just because it is the top of tops for me and I didn't want to hear negativity from these dudes who only like new crappy bands.

But I was all alone today and I pumped that crap!!! I always find new things going on when I listen to it. JJP is my hero! Any body know much about the album from an engineering/mixing standpoint? I know there is some parallel compression going on in the drums. . . .

so friggin good!
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

One of my favorite discs for a long time!
Old 12th February 2008
Gear Nut

I love Bellybutton esp. King is Half-Undressed. So you guys are saying I need to check out Spilt Milk.

Arm twisted................

Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
I love Bellybutton esp. King is Half-Undressed. So you guys are saying I need to check out Spilt Milk.

Arm twisted................

Bellybutton is GREAT...I'd say Spilt Milk is about 10 times the album!! So, yeah....
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

Love it as well as Bellybutton. Agreed JJP at the top. Super compressed sounds yet extremely musical! Listen to those toms in the intro of "New Mistake", and that lovely bridge throwing the thumbs up at Robert Johns "Sad Eyes". Yummy!
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmask View Post
Any body know much about the album from an engineering/mixing standpoint? I know there is some parallel compression going on in the drums. . . .
yeah i'd like to know more about the recording of it as well. desk, studio, etc.
-J
Old 12th February 2008
Gear addict

One of my favs as well. Though I have to say I can't listen to it anymore, since it was my mainstay for so long.

Has anyone checked their "fan club" 4 cd set release? Its basically broken up into demos and live material. If you're a fan its worth checking out as the demos themselves are amazing. Everything is there but without the array of real instruments.
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

I really, really enjoyed the tunes on Bellybutton...I'm looking at the disc I bought when it came out...but never checked-out Spilt Milk.

I'll pick it up...thanks for the headzup.
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

Good call J. Spilt Milk is absolutely one of my all time favorites. Superb production, engineering, songwriting, performance. Just the all around brilliant hat trick. Bloody genius. And the 'rip-offs' aren't rips so much, as they are a realistic extension or interpretation of the essence of what made the original influences so great. No mere hacks in that room, those boys could really bring it.

So if you like Jellyfish, give a listen to Toy Matinee. Listening to Kevin Gilbert is similar to Jellyfish (and Lay's potato chips) - just one doesn't cut it. And you'll also end up wondering what the hell was wrong with radio ... that musicians of this caliber couldn't get arrested.
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

Ahhh. Toy Matinee I remember hearing the self titled debut in a record store (I guess you have to be old like me to remember these) and I heard "Last Plane Out". That was the begining of my love for Toy Matinee, 3rd Matinee, Kevin Gilbert, and Bill Bottrell. Talk about production and aural candy...with songs and a voice that were equally stunning.

Now back to the topic at hand...

If you like Jellyfish, you should check out L.E.O on Myspace. Its Jon Brion, and others doing a 'tribute' to ELO of original material. Really good!
Old 12th February 2008
Gear addict

Also check out Imperial Drag - Roger Mannings band after Jellyfish

Ohh and check out any Harry Nilsson albums as they were heavily influenced by him
Old 12th February 2008
Both albums are my engineering education.
If you make a search here on GS and type "delcosmos" and "jellyfish" together you will find that I always post those albums as my favorites and as an example of superb productions.

Viva JJP and Jellyfish!

delcosmos.

p.s. "When king is half undressed" is one of my favorites too!
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthe View Post
Bellybutton is GREAT...I'd say Spilt Milk is about 10 times the album!! So, yeah....
I LOVE Spilt Milk... but I prefer Bellybutton more. Different strokes I guess
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnstile View Post
Ahhh. Toy Matinee
any specific record to check out by toy matinee?
-J
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnstile View Post
If you like Jellyfish, you should check out L.E.O on Myspace. Its Jon Brion, and others doing a 'tribute' to ELO of original material. Really good!
i can't seem to find any L.E.O. - do you have a link?
-J
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

Both Jellyfish albums are classics, from sonic, songwriting, performance and arrangement standpoints. As someone else said, I personally love Bellybutton more in terms of the songs ("Calling Sarah" anyone? ), but the production and detail on Spilt Milk is second to none.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search