The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Coldplay's vocals are soooo good!
Old 10th February 2008
Lives for gear

Coldplay's vocals are soooo good!

Hey I was just looking at a fellows gearslutz's thread on a cover he did of Coldplay's Sparks. (good job on the cover btw!)

So I listened to Coldplays version and couldn't help but notice how far up front Chris Martin's vocals are and how amazing they sound. They are so dominant and awesome sounding, yet his voice is very relaxing at the same time.

Anyone know how his vocals were recorded? mics, pres, compressors...
Old 11th February 2008
Lives for gear

anyone? Comments?
Old 11th February 2008
Old 11th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Okay, it's been awhile since I've read that. I thought I remembered there being a good amount of information about the vocal side of things...

However, it might still contain some good information for you about Parachutes in general.

Cheers.
Old 11th February 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baderup99 View Post
Anyone know how his vocals were recorded? mics, pres, compressors...
Lots and LOTS of Autotune.
Old 11th February 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpleton View Post
Lots and LOTS of Autotune.
Actually, to the contrary:

Quote:
"From the outset, we decided that we weren't going to use lots of trickery. Most of the vocals were one take. Chris has got that attitude of 'It's a great take; it's got that line there that's not great, but let's keep it as one take.' It's a brave thing to do, but it seems to have worked. There's probably one word that was Auto-Tuned on the album, where it was a great line, and there was just one word out of tune."

This was the most telling quote I think, and probably accounts for what often sounds like the abuse of Autotune on most modern releases:
Quote:
I like singers who can sing a whole track rather than piecing it together. It does very little for me. I find I get lost in it. If you've patched it together, how do you know if it's any good? Whereas if someone's singing in there, you know whether he's singing well, you know whether it's a good take as it goes down. It's a gut instinct.

Interesting article.
Old 11th February 2008
I've done a few days on the forthcoming coldplay album...although not tracking.

But - they had an SM7 and U47 on our session in case they wanted to do any vocal overdubs, and a UA 6176 preamp, which I think was what was used to track some, if not all of the new album.

Vocal sound was certainly similar to previous albums.

I couldn't really comment on autotune/melodyning (how much is used etc) - other than I've heard fresh takes, and it sounded good to start with.
Old 11th February 2008
Gear Maniac

It's pretty apparent from the production that there wasn't a lot of trickery done with the vocals. It sounds like a lot of them were done all the way through, and they chose the best performances...one of them admittedly "warts and all". Also, it is interesting that they recorded a lot of the acoustic guitars in the control room, as well as some of the vocals.

'SHIVER': "This was one where Chris's vocals were done in one take. He recorded more than one take, but the one we picked was one take, warts and all."

"Whereas some bands would spend this studio time recording thousands of overdubs, applying Auto-Tune to every note, or editing individual drum beats in Pro Tools, Coldplay and Ken Nelson simply took their time trying to get that elusive 'right' performance: "We recorded tracks again and again. If it wasn't exactly the way we wanted it we'd just do it again. We were just determined that we were going to get it to be a certain way."

Old 11th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Anyhow, back on topic.

I remember seeing a few videos of them in studio for 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head' on their site a few years ago, and Chris was singing into a Blue Baby Bottle.
Old 11th February 2008
Lives for gear

great stuff guys..

why does someone always have to jump to the conclusion of a great singer using autotune!?
Old 11th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baderup99 View Post
great stuff guys..

why does someone always have to jump to the conclusion of a great singer using autotune!?
Because the idea of a singer that can actually sing is so far fetched these days...
Old 11th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumimusic View Post
Because the idea of a singer that can actually sing is so far fetched these days...
scary... but true
Old 11th February 2008
Lives for gear

yeah I was the one that did the sparks cover. I love the whole Parachutes CD...amazing. 2 people thought i used autotune all over the place when I only used melodyne in the falsetto parts in the chorus a bit. I'm just kind of a perfectionist when it comes to my vocals...it may have taken me like 20 takes, but it's not auto tune haha.
Old 11th February 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baderup99
great stuff guys..

Because every song I have heard by Coldplay sounds like they are using Autotune... Am I the only one here who thinks this? I guess so. Was I there? No. Wouldn't care to be. Does it sound like they use a ****-ton of AT on their vocals to my ears? Sure does. It's nice to know Coldplay have such a great fan base here. I'm sure they are great guys!
Old 11th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because every song I have heard by Coldplay sounds like they are using Autotune... Am I the only one here who thinks this? I guess so. Was I there? No. Wouldn't care to be. Does it sound like they use a ****-ton of AT on their vocals to my ears? Sure does. It's nice to know Coldplay have such a great fan base here. I'm sure they are great guys!

Now way is there Autotune on Chris's vocals
Old 11th February 2008
i'm a huge fan!!!!!!

Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Well even though you're the only guy who thinks they use Autotune, and that you weren't there for the recording and that you wouldn't care to be there anyways, and that you think they use a ****-ton of AT and that you still weren't there anyways and you think they have a great fan base here at GS and that you're sure they're great guys. even though you've never met them............well.. I'm sure Coldplay would think you're a pretty great guy too!..............peace.
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

I've never noticed anything that sounded autotuned to me.
Old 12th February 2008
Gear Nut

The only time I thought there is some auto-tune type of correction on the vocals was in 'White Shadows' when Chris goes "Ooh oh ooh" right before the chorus. But I could be wrong, he may be that good!
Old 12th February 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay View Post
Well even though you're the only guy who thinks they use Autotune, and that you weren't there for the recording and that you wouldn't care to be there anyways, and that you think they use a ****-ton of AT and that you still weren't there anyways and you think they have a great fan base here at GS and that you're sure they're great guys. even though you've never met them............well.. I'm sure Coldplay would think you're a pretty great guy too!..............peace.
Gee, thanks, I can sleep better knowing that now... Did I also mention I think Coldplay uses Autotune? Just making sure...
Old 12th February 2008
Gear Nut

Well - every time I hear Coldplay live, Chris Martin's voice really
is aching my ears when he goes into the higher registers. It just
sounds totally strained - absolutely not relaxed at all...

I really dig their studio-albums, but from what I have seen &
heard so far on TV of Chris' live abilities, I would never ever go
to one of their gigs...

Tobias
Old 12th February 2008
byk
Gear Maniac
I really like "A Rush of blood to the head" (I don´t care about their other albums), but CM´s vocals are very often out of tune.

Nice band, good melodies, boring lyrics.
Old 12th February 2008
Quote:
Gee, thanks, I can sleep better knowing that now... Did I also mention I think Coldplay uses Autotune? Just making sure...
Well, it's definitely NOT Autotune....at least not on the new stuff.
Old 12th February 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by byk View Post

Nice band, good melodies, boring lyrics.
damned with faint praise - i rest my case
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

Parachutes CD has amazing lyrics and there is NO auto-tune. The engineer said he either auto tuned one word that was off or something like that...it's on the site about recording the parachutes CD...A lot of it was done live and Chris' vocals are great live...I've seen many live videos and you can tell if it's in tune more in videos than being actually there most of the time. All subjective...If you like them, cool...if you don't, then don't spread lies about such a talented band.

If you really want to see an amazing live band, go see Muse.
Old 12th February 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwheel View Post
The only time I thought there is some auto-tune type of correction on the vocals was in 'White Shadows' when Chris goes "Ooh oh ooh" right before the chorus. But I could be wrong, he may be that good!
I always thought that was autotune too, but now that I listen to it again I'm not so sure. I think there's an edit before the high note though. But I could be wrong. I want to believe.

I also used to think the gang vocals in Fix You were tuned, but now I don't think they were.
Old 12th February 2008
byk
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeyeater View Post
damned with faint praise - i rest my case
Well, as I said, I really like "A rush...". It´s definitely a great albut.

But the rest of their stuff is not up to par.

Their last album is as boring and lifeless as it gets.

And their lyrics are .

Again, just my opinion.

Old 12th February 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by byk View Post
Well, as I said, I really like "A rush...". It´s definitely a great albut.

But the rest of their stuff is not up to par.

Their last album is as boring and lifeless as it gets.

And their lyrics are .

Again, just my opinion.

Funny you say that. "A Rush..." is probably my least favorite of the bunch...
Although I should say Politik, Scientist, and Green Eyes are phenomenal.
Old 12th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
AutoTune sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me. I can spot it a mile away. Never heard it on any Coldplay track.

Have a nice day.
Old 12th February 2008
Gear Nut

Yeah, thanks, I know what AT sounds like too. I used it every day through 3 versions at an editing job I had where the clients always wanted it used (part of why I hate it so much).

That said I should have made it more clear that I was only referring to a couple of songs that i have heard where it sounded like AT to me. And also, being the idiot i am i was trying to make a joke with my first post. Little did i know that i would come in here and stir up such passionate emotions and start such a cat fight amongst the zealots.

Ok, I get it now. Chris is just such an amazing singer he could NEVER use Autotune, not in a million years, nope, never!

... even though when I heard them play live he sang like ass and was out of tune and sure as hell needed AT at the time.

...even though the songs I am referring to certainly had AT on the vocals.

Are they the same two songs already mentioned here as having AT? Hmmmmmm... Maybe! I guess that would make it a case closed then, no?

However, if you weren't there for the editing of his vocals, then you shut the f*ck up and stop being a bitch about the whole thing. It was only a joke to begin with anyway. Get a f*cking sense of humor... Oh wait, nevermind. you listen to Coldplay. Everything is so emotionally charged for you. I forgive you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search