The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Recommend me a great all around compressor!
Old 9th February 2008
Lives for gear

Recommend me a great all around compressor!

I'm gonna be going to school this fall so I'm scaling down my operation a bit. My plan is to have a mobile rig with a few high end channels for vocals or tracking one instrument at a time. The rig consists of a presonus Firestudio for it's 8 preamps and firewire connectivity, an API A2D going in S/PDIF for the more critical or individual stuff and a great tracking compressor to help get stuff right on the way in. I'm a fan of picking a sound and going for it and not messing with it much later in the mix so I like to compress during tracking for that reason as well as to tame levels to the converters a bit.

My first thought was a distressor.. I've never used one but from what I've heard they are very versatile and can compress pretty heavily without ruining the signal.

Another thought is that the A2D isn't really the warmest preamp so maybe something with tubes.. although I'm not sure I'd want that all the time. Warmth is welcome, though.

Any suggestions?
Old 9th February 2008
maybe the older presonus acp 88 (8 channel comp) would work along side that stuff. Those compressors are pretty clean though.
Old 9th February 2008
Lives for gear

api a2d and distressor.... can't go wrong.

Not much that you couldn't do with that channel.
Old 9th February 2008
Gear Head

For all purpose, the answer is the Distressor.

I'll follow that up by saying i have 2 of them, along with a Manley Vari-MU and 1176. I have used almost all of them though at one point or another. And while they're really all great, the Distressors are just so good at so many things.
Old 9th February 2008
Lives for gear

Distressor for you my friend.

Ed
Old 9th February 2008
Lives for gear

One that doesn't force your music through IC chips is what I'd look for.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search