The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
mic pre for u87+distressor (crisp pop vocal)
Old 9th February 2008
Lives for gear
mic pre for u87+distressor (crisp pop vocal)

any good mic pre recommandations ?

going to use it with a u87 and a distressor.

Im recording mostly pop vocals. I need a pre that will give me a smooth crisp top end.

thanks
Old 9th February 2008
Lives for gear

Avalon VT-737sp should work nicely.

[flame suit on and sealed tight]
Old 9th February 2008
Lives for gear

i *should* tell you that i have a 737, and the EQ is the best part and partly why i recommend it. the preamp is nice. the compression section blows.

i also have a GR and Hamptone Tube model. i use the GR and Hamptone more than the Avalon, but with a U87 i like the sound of the pre on the Avalon.

ymmv.

jd
Old 9th February 2008
Lives for gear

Do you have a lunchbox? Or any 500 series rack for that matter. The new Aveids MA% is great, should have the top end you're looking for.
Old 9th February 2008
Gear Maniac

I agree. The MA5 is great with a U87.
Old 10th February 2008
Lives for gear
thanks. I will check out the avedis.

Any other channelstrips to check out besides the 737?

thanks again
Old 10th February 2008
Lives for gear

well as a pre itself, forget the avalon 737. the avalon m5 sound much better.
if you want a channel strip, i'd look at the millenia stt1 and api7600... but seeing that you have a distressor already..

there are far to many pres to list.
whats you budget and what kinda sound are you going for?
Old 10th February 2008
YZ!
Gear Addict

John Hardy?

For 'crisp and clear' IMO a neutral, fast pre is the ticket.

Let the preamp add transparent gain while you tailor the sound with the distressor and perhaps EQ.

If your room is on the dead side, try singing at least a foot away from the mic; this will reduce the dynamics a bit so the compressor will not need to work too hard, you will get less sibilance and EQ'ing will be easier.
Old 10th February 2008
Lives for gear

I use a setup with a 87 and distressor. I tend to use the v76 lately combine with them. The Cream of the V76 and the more agressive sound of the distressor combine good.
Old 10th February 2008
Lives for gear

I have a 737 that I'll sometimes use but lately I've been running my 87 through a Focusrite Red 6 and that sound is very, very cool... The EQ on the Red 6 is Very smooth if you need to use it.... As far as the Distressor, that box definetly has a sound to it...... I have the one with the "British Mode" button on it.
Old 11th February 2008
Gear Addict

Not sure about the disstressor, but an ADL-600 with a vintage U87 is killer. I use that setup all the time and compress a little with an RNLA, then add more compression with a UAD LA2A. Perfect!!!
Old 11th February 2008
Lives for gear
thanks

Im very interrested in the focusrite red 1 (4 channel pre). anyone used it for vocals? I guess red 6 is similar.

will the red pres be better than the isa 220, avalon 737 and ua 610 for giving that clarity in pop vocals?

I will colour the sound using some compression from the distressor or the dbx 160a, and maby some outboard eq

Old 11th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmixer04 View Post
thanks

Im very interrested in the focusrite red 1 (4 channel pre). anyone used it for vocals? I guess red 6 is similar.

will the red pres be better than the isa 220, avalon 737 and ua 610 for giving that clarity in pop vocals?

I will colour the sound using some compression from the distressor or the dbx 160a, and maby some outboard eq

The Red 1 and Red 6 have the same pre. The Red Pre's will definitely sound better than the other pre's on your list.
Old 22nd March 2008
API 512c is about as crisp and up front as it gets. But I don't know what you mean by crisp. Most of what makes something crisp, in my opinion, is a fairly fast preamp (like the API) and a little boost in your presence frequencies with EQ after. *UNLESS your mic already provides that bit of silkiness in the top end. Also, if you don't provide some sort of hi-pass in your vocal chain, it will definitely not be crisp. It will be muddy and conflict with the rest of the music 90% of the time.
Old 9th January 2009
Gear Nut

It's really a matter of taste. My personal opinion is that the 737 sounds much better than the M5. I own several of each (along with with many other types of pre's) and the 737 is by far my favorite... more so than some of the supposedly "unbeatable" ones. I find its coloration to be beautiful. When used with my U87 (which is a very neutral sounding mic), the tones created are deliciously round and "furry" - for lack of a better term. The vocals tend to float in the mix. I've always said that with a U87/737 combo, the vocals sound like they were dipped in honey. It has an obvious 60s/70s vibe, which I really like. The M5, on the other hand, has a clearer, more open sound, which is fantastic if that's what you're looking for. These two pre's couldn't be more different. If they were chairs, the M5 would be a meticulously crafted Eames, very deliberate and precise; whereas the 737 would be a big old cozy recliner that's been broken in. Again, it's all a matter of taste.
Old 9th January 2009
Lives for gear

i usually pair my 87 with a 1073 or the 737 if it's a pop vocal. the two pres are very different and if one doesn't work in the track the other always does. as much hate as the 737 gets at GS, it gets used in my studio on almost a daily basis. especially with the 87. great pop vox combo.
Old 16th November 2010
Gear Nut

Nice thread !

I put a A-Designs Pacifica behind my U87 and I feel a little bit disappointed...

The sound is extremely clear and sharp, but I think there is a lack in medium-bass. Voices miss presence. I always need to play with EQ if I want big hiphop voices...
Old 16th November 2010
I'd go with a Focusrite ISA One: inexpensive, nice-sounding, fast, mostly neutral but with a bit of euphonic character. If you wanted to spend more money get one of the ISA channel strips.
Old 16th November 2010
Or, if you want to spend a lot of money, the Summit Everest is very clear, crisp, detailed and natural sounding, with just a touch of tube-smoothness, and has a compressor that IMO is better for vocals than the distressor.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search