The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Equipment Design Control Surfaces
Old 3rd December 2002
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisso

3. The new Api strips would probably provide the kind of thing Jay is after. I'm a bit wary of the micro size of everything though. Putting the mic/pre's, bussing/master strip and new mixer strip together just doesn't look as good or as practical as an Api 1604 console.
Same goes for the Manley mixer......bit too small and I'd like some eq, even 2 band.
Simple, cheaper gear that did a couple of things really well!
The API strips are great in concept but not really what I'd want in a big console, maybe for a sidecar though. They have too much junk and only four busses IIRC. When I say a new affordable console I'm talking about 32 or more channels that take up 7 feet of space for about $20K, not 16 channels in a postage stamp for $2K.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
The API strips are great in concept but not really what I'd want in a big console, maybe for a sidecar though. They have too much junk and only four busses IIRC. When I say a new affordable console I'm talking about 32 or more channels that take up 7 feet of space for about $20K, not 16 channels in a postage stamp for $2K.
I'm sure you could build a custom setup for two of the Manley mixers which would give you 32 channels in under four feet of space for under $20k. Are the Manley 16X2's linkable? As far as Eq goes, perhaps it woud be cool if the Manley mixers had sweepable high pass filters instead of the auxes. I know, I know, custom jobs=custom $$$.
Old 4th December 2002

Yes the Manley 16x2 mixers are linkable. We also build a 32x8. We also have 16x2x4Aux available. Sorry no EQs...

You can read all about 'em here.
Old 4th December 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by EveAnna Manley
Yes the Manley 16x2 mixers are linkable. We also build a 32x8. We also have 16x2x4Aux available. Sorry no EQs...

You can read all about 'em here.
The 4aux option looks interesting--that's new, isn't it? It seems the extra sends would be a big help. With the superminimalist ones, like the D2B, it seems like I'd still be doing a lot of mixing "in the box." Which isn't inherently a bad thing, but I think the added flexibility on the analog side would be nice.
Old 5th December 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Mangler... there goes one product name we had been thinking about...
No EveAnna hold it right there....
You've allready used SLAM! which means something like MUD! or SLUDGE! in danish.
Mangler means MISSING or NOT PRESENT......

What's next?

/torsten/
Old 5th December 2002

You know, I promise you this: the next time we make a new product name I am going to certainly run it by all my Danish friends to make sure we keep you guys well entertained.

Old 5th December 2002
Lives for gear

Detented output gain switches! Why doesn't my massive passive have this! Grr!
Old 6th December 2002

The Massive's master gain trim controls are available to anyone as 11-position switches (1/2dB steps) if you order 'em that way.

We just finished out first actual real Mastering Massive Passive for a client that employ these nifty detented KNOBS which give 16 steps for all the pots: the boost/cut knobs and the Bandwidth pots.

These cool knobs have mechanical detents in them to convert smooth pots into loggable clickable recallable things.

Other mastering-specific features include:

Boost/Cut range: Was +/-20dB; Now it is +/-11dB

New filter section :
HP = 12Hz, 16, 23, 30, 39Hz
LP = 52KHz, 40K, 27K, 20K, 15KHz

True hard wire bypass

Enjoy!
Old 6th December 2002
lnd
Gear Head

A pro control that only costs 3K US. expander pack 1500 US. You would sell a bucket load!! Surely someone from Taiwan/China can make a cheap imitation - it is after all only a controller it doesn;t have a sound.
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by lnd
A pro control that only costs 3K US. expander pack 1500 US. You would sell a bucket load!! Surely someone from Taiwan/China can make a cheap imitation - it is after all only a controller it doesn;t have a sound.
I believe that's called a HUI, and they're about to be made in China anyway.
Old 10th December 2002
SawSlut

One piece of equipment I'd love to have: A Canadian dollar that's actually WORTH something. That way I could actually buy some of this stuff, as opposed to just reading about it!
Old 10th December 2002
Lives for gear

I hate gear that I need to read a got damn manual to figure out. I'm too busy to eff with every Tom, Dick, and Harry piece of gear that comes out as it is, much less with a piece of gear that takes half a day to get signal into and out of. Menu's are sometimes necessary, so make them easy to get around in. For example, the Sony R7. Total pain to get around in (although I haven't used a remote which may help) and documentation? Total clusterwack. Thank god I don't tweek the R7 presets that much. If the unit isn't easy to get around in from the get go, there's a good chance I won't have the time to discovery how get it sounds.

I guess what I look for 1st, and 1st impressions are important when it comes to new gear, is intuitiveness.

Oh yeah, and try to make it under a grand so I can mention it in those "Best Blah blah blah gear under a grand" threads.
Old 10th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by atticus
I believe that's called a HUI, and they're about to be made in China anyway.
Yeah like the QA in the Control24's, the paint peeled/rubbed off the first batch. You can always count on people paid 10 cents a day to give a flying %*%&^ on quality.
Old 10th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
I hate gear that I need to read a got damn manual to figure out. I'm too busy to eff with every Tom, Dick, and Harry piece of gear that comes out as it is, much less with a piece of gear that takes half a day to get signal into and out of. Menu's are sometimes necessary, so make them easy to get around in. For example, the Sony R7. Total pain to get around in (although I haven't used a remote which may help) and documentation? Total clusterwack. Thank god I don't tweek the R7 presets that much. If the unit isn't easy to get around in from the get go, there's a good chance I won't have the time to discovery how get it sounds.

I guess what I look for 1st, and 1st impressions are important when it comes to new gear, is intuitiveness.

Oh yeah, and try to make it under a grand so I can mention it in those "Best Blah blah blah gear under a grand" threads.
We did just that with the DAC1. Just plug it in and it works. Oh yeah, it's under a grand.
Attached Thumbnails
New Equipment Design-dac1w.jpg  
Old 10th December 2002
Gear Maniac

Dream come true...

Sintefex already made my dream processor, I just can't afford it. Ain't that the way it is?
Old 12th December 2002
urumita

#1- I would like a unit that would: (not exactly in this order)

first, be able to flip phase and/or find the signal (breakout box) and drop the transformer (transformerless is a sound too) and apply P48 (switches)

second, variable detented impedance for those who like using speakers and phones as mics. as well as being useful for normal mics. , instruments and line sources(knob)

third, pad the incoming signal (6 detent knob) (line, keyboard, hot instrument, instrument, hot mic., weak mic.)

fourth, filter the incoming signal - variable detented HP, LP

fifth, supply all the gain necessary fo any situation

sixth, output attenuation

seventh, a meter switchable between input, post pad and output with 3 green, 2 yellow and 1 red leds

this baby will be extremely quiet and also be able to be "overdriven" and still sound "good"

you could face any audio situation with this and it would be called Damage Kontrol you could use as a stand alone or connect it to

#2- a high Q signal distribution matrix (mixing buss) 32x12 (I always blow 8 busses and almost never 12) if I'm recording live I sometimes have up to 48 inputs but lots of directs, 32 would cover me for those I have to mix. this would be called MB. MB will accept line level sources in +4 and -10 with the proper impedances and have buss master attenuation

DK and MB will come in 3 flavors Tube, Solid State and both. Or T, SS and Dlux.

with mandatory a/d-d/a convertors

#3-the focusrite isa131 with more headroom and higher threshold in a tube version also

balanced power as a new world standard
Old 12th December 2002
Here for the gear

All I want is a digital console with automatic delay compensation. It can use GMT or a cesium clock for reference for all I care. I just don't want to have to do it myself every time I patch in the 1176.

-Jay

PS: And it's gotta have big meters...(think of the old Pope joke)
Old 12th December 2002
urumita

did I forget to mention the 2 post output inserts that could be run in series or parellel with an A/B listen and the units meter follows?
Old 17th December 2002
Here for the gear

A harmonic distortion/tape distortion unit. Similar to the FATSO, except made to distort signals rather than "warm up" sound. Basically something that can muck up a signal so taht it sounds either "warm" or all the way up to "holy **** your cassette has just been eaten by a hungry machine but it's still playing" sound. Both auxilliary outputs (split the signal between main out and aux out, so you can plug it straight into an amp/board and also aux out to another piece of gear) as well as key inputs (so you could add the distortion to a certain EQ band, for example).

I would also LOVE a series of high-quality effects: a reverb box, a delay box, and a chorus box that have the simplicity of a stomp box but sound NICE. Along the lines of the earlier stated Reverb unit. <swoon>
Old 17th December 2002
Gear Maniac

Fletcher,

I don't know if you have seen THIS yet but your buddy Jack has a new piece of gear in mind...

"Many times I wish for gear that doesn't exist . I'm hoping for 1 or 2 boxes that do evertything. Would be nice to have stereo rackmount microphone and pres. Then add the EQ, stand at box and sign!(err - sing) NO MORE STANDS! Push amp in front of rackmount and record. Add a remote control, so you never need to turn knobs, put in a nice box and sell!" - Jack Ortman

Maybe you can get together and do a Mercenary version!

ok,ok... kiddin'
Old 17th December 2002
Lives for gear

Re: Bottoms-up compressor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kendrix
1) How about an analog compressor that increases the gain when the signal falls below threshold rather than decreasing the gain above threshold as is typically done. <SNIP>
Got it, Drawmer TS1 and TS2 Tubestation. Got our first couple in a few weeks ago. Drawmer calls it a "bootstrap" or "pull up" compressor.
http://www.drawmerusa.com/

Brad
Old 18th December 2002
Lives for gear

....something thats does what the MANLEY VOX BOX does for $179us......and comes in all types of metalic colors...oh yeah its got to have lots of meters and lights.......
Old 18th December 2002

I can provide you with two beautiful 30uF 200v MultiCaps® and a Sifam VU meter for $179 bucks...
Old 20th December 2002
Lives for gear

Since we're dreaming...

I want a dynamic compressing - equalizer that can read the frequency signature of an incoming signal (like a lead vocal) and duck just those frequencies from a stereo pair passed through it (like a music bed).

Sort of an RTA meets Dynamic EQ meets Finalyzer on steroids.

This is to fulfill the ultimate fantasy of a piece of equipment that will make room in the mix for a vocal while I watch TV.
Old 20th December 2002
Lives for gear

how about
a 2 channel unit with the SLAM! Pre's? and with a input pad(-20)?

interesting...
Old 20th December 2002

The SLAM! micpreamps will definitely work their way into a standalone unit in 2003. We will surprise you with what this unit will be. It will be very interesting, something not done before.

And no, I'm not gonna announce a price yet....
Old 20th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
The SLAM! micpreamps will definitely work their way into a standalone unit in 2003. We will surprise you with what this unit will be. It will be very interesting, something not done before.

Just say it'll be $10k. That way we'll all be happy when it ships for less.
Old 20th December 2002

Excellent idea! OK. It's gonna cost $10K
Old 20th December 2002
Lives for gear

Make it $15k. The more fuzzy math the betterheh.
Old 20th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:

we can announce the name...

"SLAM HARDER!"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search