The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
On a mission for decision - stuck between Broadhurst Gardens and the Great River Condenser Microphones
Old 31st January 2008
Gear maniac

On a mission for decision - stuck between Broadhurst Gardens and the Great River

Yes, sorry, another annoying "which dual pre-amp meets my requirements" thread.

Basically I wanna take acoustic guitar and vocals for some 60ies psychedelic folk music. The only mic I´ll use for it is a Microtech Gefell M930 for vocals, the converters are those pro tools likes from the Emu 1212m. The guitar (Hopf Bronco XG 620) got an pick up installed.

So I spend the last weeks gathering information on Pre-Amps, and now its getting down to decision between following six in order of personal impression:

- Phoenix Audio DRS Q4 (problem is the price, and availability in Germany)
- Great River ME-2 NV (price ever bigger when considered it has no EQ)
- Neve Portico 5012 (maybe the best compromise?)
- DAV Broadhurst Gardens No. 1 U (could require additional warm up at least for the guitar, like the little Summit TLA 050?)
- PreSonus ADL 600 (also bit expensive)
- Groove Tubes Supre (looks ****in ugly, and it is maybe bit to muddy?)

The Phoenix would be the greatest deal since seperate EQ are really expensive, and I don´t want to do too much editing with computer plugins. But its not easy to get one around here, and I don´t have much time or financial headroom for experiments.

A few suggestions from you? Thanks.
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

How about a Chandler TG2?
Old 31st January 2008
Gear maniac

from what I know the chandler may be bit too muddy and punchy, though not sure. I wanna have just a touch of warmth, not full heat. So I´d even prefer the Phoenix Audio DRS-2 over it.
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niv View Post
the converters are those pro tools likes from the Emu 1212m.
Are you sure you know at all what you are talking about?
Old 31st January 2008
Gear maniac

@Jim

Thanks for information, but me just knows too less about electronics and engineeering to dare stuff like this right now. I´m just a little weirdo lyricist with great affinity for S.O.U.N.D.

The JMK JM 130 Dual was an option too, but it seems hard to get one to Europe/Germany as well.
Old 31st January 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post

I didn´t crack up boxes, no. But I don´t think there is so much room for lies on spec sheets.
Old 31st January 2008
Gear Addict

He does know what he,s talking about the emu soundcard uses the same AKM chip as the digidesign i/o interfaces.
Other stages in the circuit will differ however.
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
the converters are those pro tools likes from the Emu 1212m.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt
Quote:
I didn´t crack up boxes, no. But I don´t think there is so much room for lies on spec sheets.
So I was right then.
Old 31st January 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
So I was right then.

Yeah your mommy gonna be proud.
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkynuts View Post
He does know what he,s talking about the emu soundcard uses the same AKM chip as the digidesign i/o interfaces.
Other stages in the circuit will differ however.
I will not steal the thread, how ewer stating that 250$ "sound card" has something to do with quality of the 192 interface is plane stupid.
My Skoda uses exactly that same tires as BMW & Mercedes: Brigdestone.

..I will stop here. Good luck with all yours plans dear GS fellows.
Old 31st January 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
how ewer stating that 250$ "sound card" has something to do with quality of the 192 interface is plane stupid.

Cutie.

But yes, they have in common the basical conversion chip. And indeed, the Emu truly knocks out even every RME Interface/Soundcard in aspects of sound quality (though not other issues, as Latency and general Driver Quality). The 1212m got not much feature, just 2 Analog In/Out and very basical Digital I/O.

And yeah, compared to ships of luxury they may allow themselves to reduce the price. Its like there were underground art bands ****in up the Beatles regarding writing love songs. Such things happen in life.
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

Quad Eight mm61 or mm71's will give you lush old school warmth without being overly saturated.

If you can get the full channel with EQ's then you're...well, stoked!

If I'm talking modern gear I might as well mention the P-word, Pacifica. I haven't used the Pacifica, but it's probably the most popular preamp of 2007 on GS.
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

A few suggestions from you? Thanks.
I haven't heard the DRS Q4 but I've used their stand alone mic amps a few times and a summing unit and I remember going home and drooling over some pictures on the web while I played back the tracks I recorded. The ADL600 is underrated and very well put together - definetely belongs in high-end. I think the Supre looks fantastic - I love the old school, sorta wwII radar equipment look - but that's a taste thing I suppose. Being black metal with big black knobs, shiny silver switches, big silver handles and big & round analog VU meters (Yum)is great looking IMO. However, people who buy records can't hear what our equipment looks like (darn it!). I don't think the Supre is "muddy" sounding, it's not some cheapo design; the Supre is a real deal Tube preamp. It's going to be big and clean until it's pushed then it will begin to squish some transients. When pushed the sound will fatten or thicken but remain clear. As opposed to choke off the highs and cloud the low mids like the starved plate (ART, Bellari, ETC)designs do.. What I mean by clarity is that you can stack tracks, even though they have character it's easy to mix because they retain definition.

I like the UA LA610 quite a bit. Another great option could be getting a 6 space API rack and getting yourself 2 Purple Biz and 2 Speck Eq - I don't know if that fits your budget.. Most Important is to find a way to listen first because you should find something based on your what your ears tell you and something that fits itself into the way you work.

Best of Luck! Dan
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Got $79?
Try the T15 from SCA. It's the that 1510 mic pre chip, swap it for a INA217 for the original DAV BG mic pre sound. They will sell you a pre-built one for $279 or something. That's a whole lot of $$$ saved there. Plus, if you build it you will learn.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Is it really that easy? If it's the same as BG, I'll order 8 channels of it right now.
Old 1st February 2008
Gear maniac

after all its down between

- phoenix drs q4
- dav bg no. 1u + neve 5042 (just rent for tracking/mastering)

I´m still not sure if I really need the EQ, since I got a few URS VST EQ for digital procession. Afterwards I could let the material through the Pre-Amp or the Neve again for softening harmonization.

??
Old 1st February 2008
Lives for gear

I know you just removed the SuPRE from the list but I wanted to add couple things.

First and foremost, the SuPRE is the sexiest thing in my house besides my wife.

-and-

2. I love it for vox and acoustic. It's way cleaner than I thought it would be.

Here is a song I did for Christmas with a friend of mine. Vox is ksm44 ->Supre, acoustic is mk012's ->Supre.

www.funkydisk.com/funkyserver/Silent%20Night.mp3

Old 1st February 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkster View Post
First and foremost, the SuPRE is the sexiest thing in my house besides my wife.

Yeah so taste may differ
But honestly..... the SUPRE-sound seems exactly what I thought it would be, and especially for the guitar I´d wish just a little pinch more brillance that may shine through the reverb (with in opposite I really prefer of muddy and dark warmth).

So I think the two options left are the keys for my little garden.

But the tune itself is really great, well sung and I love those bright little bell tones. I will try to add you on myspace
Old 1st February 2008
500 series nutjob

i think the Great River would do great for what you are looking for!
after reviewing one ( MP-500NV same sound as the ME-2 NV ), i now own one ~
lots of pres in this quality will do the job, and although at times it is difficult to do so, you should try several and pick what you like.
i know that is not always possibale, so going blind i would say the Great River

heh
Old 1st February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
from what I know the chandler may be bit too muddy and punchy, though not sure. I wanna have just a touch of warmth, not full heat. So I´d even prefer the Phoenix Audio DRS-2 over it.
Where did you hear that? The TG pre is my favorite, i have 3 tg channels. If color is your game i consider it fairly neutral in that realm.

Don't forget color is a subjective term.. Usually muddy doesn't go along with it. The TG pre recorded DSOTM.. That record certainly doesn't sound unusual or colored to me, it sounds perfect..

If i had to use any decriptive words for the TG it would be somewhat hard, present, and on the cleaner end of color. When i want ridiculous hugeness i would turn to something else... like my germaniums :P can you tell i love chandler?
Old 1st February 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshorephatty View Post
Where did you hear that?

I didn´t hear it, but I don´t like the punchy presence (which turns into muddy too, no matter if it ain´t a dark tone - just a general loss of depths and subtility) of the late The Beatles records.
Old 1st February 2008
Gear maniac

@Jim Williams

Yeah sure, its a rude walk through the market of all those opinions, distributers promises etc.; but I don´t think giving it so much possibility to confuse me. The more information you gather, analyze and filter the closer you draw towards the decision and be surprised, but my life went very much ok along that method.

I don´t have time and nerves to rent and test etc., most there is no real new information with that when you just did read smart enough before. Further there wouldn´t even be a possibility to test the two remaining of my options here in Germany since these devices are not much distributed (exclusive contracts etc).
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Users have reported they favor the sonics of the AD device over the that or BB part. None of them claimed they sound anything alike. The original DAV's I've seen all had the BB part, why I used the word original.
The best buy in years would be a $700 preamp for a $79 kit.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Jim,
IM confused a little with your math.
If you go that route you will need a rack/power supply.
Before I did that not knowing if I was going to like the pre, I would get an older small console and mod it with better chips, caps ect...
If someone is into the building/modding thing.
One main problem with building kits for someone that never has done it before is being able to check their product, and their testing abilities.
Ask John Hardy about this...
A blown op amp or worst is very frustrating.
This is just my thoughts...
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
And indeed, the Emu truly knocks out even every RME Interface/Soundcard in aspects of sound quality
bullcrap.

have you ever used or even heard any of these preamps that you are considering buying in a context that is in any way relevant to your own intended use of them?

will you do so with any of them before you make your decision of which to buy?

will that decision be based SOLELY on the opinions of others found here and elsewhere on tinterscope?

for what its worth i have a DAV which i use alongside Wunder and Daking preamps. i think that it sounds great and is good value, but if i had the choice / enough spare cash i would buy more channels of Wunder and Daking. if i was you i would buy the DAV.

good night and good luck.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search