The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Altec/Western Electric 633a micrphone repair help! Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 31st January 2008
Gear Head

Altec/Western Electric 633a micrphone repair help!

Hey guys,
Anyone familiar with the Altec 633a, . .
I'm trying to remove the front grill so that I can clean the inside of the front Grill around, but cant figure out how to get inside the grill area.

I can access the bottom of the mic by removing the two screws and that allows me to connect the wires, . . but I cant figure out how to get inside the front grill area where the cartridge is located. . . if anyone can help, that would be great!
Thanks in advance fellas, . .
Attached Thumbnails
Altec/Western Electric 633a micrphone repair help!-633a-front.jpg   Altec/Western Electric 633a micrphone repair help!-633a-back.jpg  
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

it's so long sio i forget ..but does the top unscrew?
Old 31st January 2008
Gear Head

Hey mike,
Thanks for your response! from the looks of the mic~ its looks like it should screw off at the top, . .but I have two of these, and they don't budge when I try to screw the top off, . .Maybe the tops of these mics they are sealed with some type of glue, or sealant, . .

but for the life of me, I cant figure out how to get insisd the grill
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiodrum View Post
Hey mike,
Thanks for your response! from the looks of the mic~ its looks like it should screw off at the top, . .but I have two of these, and they don't budge when I try to screw the top off, . .Maybe the tops of these mics they are sealed with some type of glue, or sealant, . .

but for the life of me, I cant figure out how to get insisd the grill
brochure on ebay 11 page

VINTAGE WESTERN ELECTRIC 633 A MICROPHONE BROCHURE - eBay (item 130194109256 end time Feb-04-08 19:02:51 PST)

i am going to my buddies to pick up some drivers he reconned..he is usually a wealt of knowledge ..i'll ask him

i just asked my pop ..ya gotta really turn it hard like a tool with the mic wrapped in cloth..he is 90% sure it turns at the top [figure it being screwed on for 1/2 a century or more]..he said the cloth behind the holes might disintigrate due to age so you might have to replace it , but that your idea to clean up the opening is a good one

i'll still talk to my buddy ..[edit..he is unsure]

BTW i saw a pic of the beatles singing in one and also at Cameo Parkway in the early 60's it was the drum mic [as in..it was the overhead theat caught the whole kit] at Sigma it was the mic we used 75% of the time on snare drums
i envy you we had 4 ..i have none now and won't pay the gearslutz stupid prices for the ones i see bid on ebay
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

It opens up from the back.

Take the cover off where you connect the wires. You'll see a big brass ring threaded into the outer diameter. Make a "spanner" wrench out of some sheet metal and back that ring out, then the guts'll drop out of the mic.

Be careful.
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Kennedy View Post
It opens up from the back.

Take the cover off where you connect the wires. You'll see a big brass ring threaded into the outer diameter. Make a "spanner" wrench out of some sheet metal and back that ring out, then the guts'll drop out of the mic.

Be careful.
i know the bottom comes off..why does the top have the seperation that looks like a screw cap?...is it esthetic only ?
Old 1st February 2008
Lives for gear

yep
Old 1st February 2008
Lives for gear

yo dan is it wire screen or cloth behind the "shaker holes"? how hard is it to reassemble?

thanks dude appreciate the info i love the mic

glad i said 90% sure...boy were we off..sorry for the misinformation..it just looked like that was the way it was

i apologize
Old 1st February 2008
Lives for gear

first live performance in the usa..and on the 633a
Old 1st February 2008
Gear Head

Hey guys,
Thanks so much for all the feedback!

Yep, it turns out that Dan is absolutely correct~
That separation around the top (that looks like a crew cap) is completely aesthetic! Definitely fooled me, . .I thought for sure Mike was right, . .The definitely top looks like it would screw right off, . .go figure.

Anyway, I would also be curious to know what it looks like behind the top grill holes, . .does it have a silk or cloth covering over the element?
I'm also guessing that if the mic is working fine, . .that I shouldn't mess with opening this thing up and start pulling the guts out of it, just to clean it???? heh

However, any additional information that you might have Dan, . . .about what it looks like inside that 633a shaker mic , . .or even pics, . .would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 1st February 2008
Lives for gear

I can't honestly remember, it's been a few years.

Considering the vintage, my guess would be a wire cloth tho...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search