The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waterloo sunset/ Maggie Mae guitar tone Condenser Microphones
Old 31st January 2008
Gear Head

Waterloo sunset/ Maggie Mae guitar tone

Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any insight in how to get that perfectly
plain lead guitar tone on The Kinks' "Waterloo Sunset", and the solo part of Rod Stewart's "Maggie Mae". To my ears it sounds like a strat(middle to neck pickup), a small tube amp, with a plucky kind of finger attack. I'm probably off though. I just love how honest sounding it is. Anyone have any ideas how to get something similiar?

Last edited by obtainknowledge; 31st January 2008 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: this child got left behind.
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

I've been known to incite a few things before ... but perhaps you are looking for some insight instead?

Great sounds. I have no idea what they used, but my idle speculation is that these were Fender single coils. I'm also guessing the amp wasn't too small, because they are fairly clean sounds, and small amps tend to breakup too quick. Maybe a Fender Twin?

I would have thought played enthusiastically with a pick, with plenty of sliding between notes sort-of hammering on.

I would not be shocked to find these were DI into a desk. The reason I say that, I'm a bit of a fan of Donovan Leitch and read his autobiography "Hurdy Gurdy Man". If he says so himself, he's the guy who introduced the Led Zep guys to the Celtic folky thing. They played as session players for him, well before Zep. He taught the Beatles folk finger style in India - the man's a legend.

Anyway - there are some electric guitar licks on stuff like Atlantis and Season of the Witch - which I think sounds similar to your references. Apparantly the guy who did this just plugged his Strat into the board. Donovan apparantly hated loud amps and wouldn't tolerate them. (Mind you, reamping technology was used by the Beatles around that time - who knows what happened afterward. There is gobs of plate or chamber or something heavenly all over it).

From memory there is a slap tape delay on Waterloo Sunset (or maybe i've just played it too many times with a slap delay).
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

You can get that fat warm tubby Rod Stewart guitar tone with Ampeg guitar amps. Perhaps a V-4. Some of the Stones stuff is done with these type of amps as well.
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

God, the Kinks are so underrated and so under-appreciated n America. So much brit pop owes more to the Kinks than to the Beatles or the Stones... I'm thinking Pulp, Blur, etc.
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

I never associate 60s kinks with fender amps.....AC30 anyone ?

Fender/American stuff was quite rare/expensive in the UK during the early 60s so you tend to see british groups using british amps/guitars. That's why you see a lot of Burns/Wem/Vox/Sound City (slightly 2nd rate stuff !)

I know you can name thousands of players that break that rule - but worth bearing in mind.
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah - most of the British stuff was trying to be Fender though. And the bands that "made it" bought Fender as soon as they could. But you're right - it's probably not. But my point is that I think single coils and clean amps (even DI) might be the way to recreate these sounds.
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger View Post
Yeah - most of the British stuff was trying to be Fender though. And the bands that "made it" bought Fender as soon as they could. But you're right - it's probably not. But my point is that I think single coils and clean amps (even DI) might be the way to recreate these sounds.
totally agree

plus a bit of googling bring this
Dave's Guitars & The Green Amp!

no indication of dates though. (i doubt he was using a peavey pacemaker).

as a side note there was an original Dave Davies AC30 on ebayUK a few months ago - a bit sad that he's selling it (skint ?).
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

or was it a flying v

Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by obtainknowledge View Post
the solo part of Rod Stewart's "Maggie Mae".
Funny thing is....I heard that tune the other day and was inspired to an attempt at that tone for a tune I'm working on.

So far.....'71 SG with both volumes and tones rolled off through a Peavey C30 (clean channel) and a Carvin VT112. I'm rolling off the volume on the p/up's while pushing the amps to just short of break-up with a volume pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger View Post
I would have thought played enthusiastically with a pick
I play with my fingers...popping those 12's a little and working the ol' Bigsby. Similar result.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search