The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Making a decision..... CRANESONG ADVICE!
View Poll Results: STC8 or Trakkers
STC8
12 Votes - 50.00%
Trakkers
12 Votes - 50.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28th June 2004
Gear Addict

Making a decision..... CRANESONG ADVICE!

OK.... I am looking to get some of that Cranesong comp FLAVA! Now, the issue is that I have a limited budget of about 4K. I can get an STC8 cheap which leaves me a bit of room to grab a couple other things.... or I grab the Trakkers. I wish I could get them all but that is impossible at this point. What would suit me the best? I have used them both and love them for each of their qualities. I would like to use it for both tracking and 2 buss duties. Those who have used them for a while....... TELL ME! ... I have enough on my mind.
Old 28th June 2004
Lives for gear

YES!!!!!

seriously, though....... if you can get the stc-8 cheap then go for it...... you can get the trakkers next go round. they are both great... and different. one doesn't replace the other.
good luck,
joshua
Old 29th June 2004
Gear Guru

the STC-8 first if it's cheap

then a Trakker

i have a pair and an STC and the STC is first call for tracking many things, including vocals and bass. the Trakkers are used more in mixing with 160vU, MC76 and Distressors.

now that i have the STC-8 the Trakkers are almost never used on the 2 buss or in mastering. drum buss, yes.
Old 29th June 2004
Lives for gear

I use my STC-8 more as a tracking device than as a mixdown comp. It's always in the chain for vocals.

-R
Old 29th June 2004
Lives for gear

the stc-8 sounds like the plan
Old 29th June 2004
Lives for gear

I'm pretty sure there was an STC-8 in the classifieds section. You might want to see if it is still available.
Old 29th June 2004
Lives for gear

I would grab an STC8....
Old 29th June 2004
Gear Addict

When I was in the same situation I decided I'd get more use out of the trakkers. Lots to like about the stc, but they fit the bill for me better. ymmv obviously...
Old 30th June 2004
member no 666

They're really two different units... but if I had to choose between having a set of Trakkers vs. an STC-8... I'd probably go with the pair of Trakkers as you can dial in a bit more "personality" should you so desire.

The STC-8 does a couple of things that the Trakkers can't do, but the Trakkers can do a few more things that the STC-8 can't do.

Best of luck with your final decision.
Old 30th June 2004
Lives for gear

I love my STC8 for commercial stuff and its amazing on most records but not so keen on it for underground records I cant seem to make it sound cool on a club mix(unless its a commercial one).
Dont know the trakker,,,
If you want more of a commercial sounding mix thats the baby for the mixbus.

M
Old 30th June 2004
Gear Guru

Get a Real Tape Machine.
Old 3rd July 2004
Lives for gear

"Get a Real Tape Machine"

Ahh.... the days of maintanance.........
Old 3rd July 2004
Gear Head

I was faced with the same dilemma and chose the TRAKKERS- Haven't regretted it a bit. I use them mainly for tracking and like the fact that they allow me to dial in just about anything I want from clean and transparent to attitude. A pair of Distressors was also seriously in the running but, due to their flexibility, I picked up the TRAKKERS first. My 2 cents.
Old 3rd July 2004
Here for the gear

Re: Making a decision..... CRANESONG ADVICE!

I've never played with an STC yet, but I can say that the Trakker is one of the nicest comps on the planet. Just fricking fabulous.

Good luck

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search