The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Just Got My Modified 828mkII From Black Lion Audio... Single-Channel Preamps
Old 28th January 2008
Lives for gear

Just Got My Modified 828mkII From Black Lion Audio...

there always seem to be people wondering about the BLA mods, so i thought i'd tell of my experience.

my MOTU 828mkII had a modification date of January 15th, and it came back on the 25th. my unit got the full analog modification, no clock mod (and i did not buy the MicroClock...yet). they were very friendly on the phone and in emails.

i recorded a sample of me singing before i sent the unit (AT4047 -> SCA A12 -> MOTU), and when it came back i recorded the same thing again (same room, same placement, same pre and mic). the difference was very noticeable. it was more clear and present. it sounded great. i spent some time with the modded recording, and then went back to the pre-modded track. it sounded muddy and murky in comparison. i played it for a friend, and didn't tell him which was which...he heard it the same way i did. after the BLA mod, the vocal was more clear.

so i would highly recommend the mod. based on this experience, i'm going to order the MicroClock as well.
Old 28th January 2008
Lives for gear

i just noticed the mkIII was announced. it figures, the day i put money into my mkII, they release the mkIII. although, i don't think i'd use the built in effects...i just hope they didn't seriously upgrade the converters. then i'd be a bit upset.
Old 28th January 2008
Deleted User
Im guessing they upted the converters since the new 828MKiii will do 192khz. Im guessing they just took the ones form the Traveler and stuffed them into it. 828MKii only goes up to 96kHz. Basically a Traveler with an extra ADAT input on the back and XLR main outs. The new CueMix looks cool though with EQ/Compression and Verb if you want it.
I have an 828MKii. I think Ill just sell it and move on from here.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search