The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
General expenses for producer?
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

General expenses for producer?

Imagine you have just bought enough gear (for now) and you'll now just be recording bands in your treated room, on your own property. Are there any expenses other than say phone and internet? I little advertising maybe but it's all on word of mouth.

This is for a project of a business plan but I'll be doing this next year anyway.
Old 24th January 2008
Don't forget insurance (not just insuring your kit, but also liability), electricity, depreciation, backups, media (they'll want something to take away with them), healthcare, access, accounting costs etc etc etc...
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

excellent, didn't think of insurance and a couple of those.

This is just an assignment but it makes me worried about when I properly start my business this year.

How can you maximize your business being a home producer and songwriter? damn, I could push the costs up because I'm being very conservative with it but I'll be based in Wiltshire of all 'busy' places!
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

Of course you will need to think about gear, maintenance and computer/software upgrades.

Wilshire is beautiful. I have made a lot of records there.
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

Does your local zoning allow a home business? You might have to get an occupancy permit, which might require an inspection. Then they're going to look at parking, building code violations, handicapped access...plus, they might want you to pay taxes on the value of all your gear.

If you get that far, an alarm system would be a legitimate business expense, and a good idea.
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

Small supplies like cleaning products, Sharpies, sticky tape, strings, more drives and still even more drives add up. It's nice to have beverages, snacks and toilet paper for your clients.

When you get busy enough, you may want a maid service and a personal assistant and/or assistant engineer.
Old 24th January 2008
Air conditioning - (Electricity for it + maintenance)

tea, coffee milk for clients,

toilet paper / cleaning supplies / garbage bags / Light bulbs

equipment repairs

New gear, mics, plug ins (to stop you and your clients from getting bored with what you already have)

Computer upgrades / maintenance / new versions of software

Credit card terminal - monthly charge..

Accountancy fees

Local zoning taxes / business rates etc..

(as well as all the above, insurance / alarm system etc)
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks guys.

I was planning to work for like £120 for an 8-10 hour day. Looks like this ain't enough!

rcm, what studios were you at? Real world? I live by the Savernake Forest. It's a beautiful place, but it's isolation is it's benefit and enemy.
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

Accounting, audit, taxes, insurance, healthcare (including life and disability insurance) and your retirement fund are the unsexy expenses.

Internet and phone are peanuts in comparison.

You and your family are no 1, make sure you are secure first. Gear is secondary.
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

Yep..seems like you've got the important stuff mentioned.
remember: you will go through headphones and headphone cables like kleenex..any carpet will be stained within weeks..graffiti will mysteriously appear in the toilet.....buy gaffa tape by the mile..9 volt batteries by the box..coffee by the crate..if you don't allow smoking and don't put ashtrays outside your entrance will become one huge trail of sludge...you can never have enough toilet paper...disposable coffee cups will be a godsend.
and most important of all: even though musician's will respect you and would never dream of taking anything from your studio..your sunglasses will go missing.heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search