The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Acoustic guitar pick up..
Old 23rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm_b View Post
A little over a month ago I saw Nickel Creek play live at the House of Blues in LA and they sounded great.
Are they playing together again? Last I read on their website, they'd officially disbanded to pursue other projects and Chris Thile moved to NYC. Unbelievable band.

Chris is doing the bluegrass semicircle setup with The Punch Brothers, the band he used for "How to Grow a Woman From The Ground"

For a long time they (NC) were using and endorsing Schertler.
Old 28th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Well I got the LR Baggs M1 Active soundhole pick up.

It was in many shops for £215+ and I saw it at one place for £139!, Tried it out and was convinced. for live use it is more than good enough.. lots of body and clarity.... not tried it on Cubase yet though... but looks like a good buy.

also quite easy to remove and stick on my 12 string!.

thanks for the feed back guys.
Old 28th January 2008
Lives for gear

Make sure you unplug the M1A after every use or else the battery will run down.

It's a good idea to have a couple of extra batteries just in case.

Congrats on getting a great pick-up !!
Old 28th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstateMatt View Post
...I don't know why someone doesn't just come out with some sort of goose neck lavalier mic to just attach to the OUTSIDE of the damned guitar.
AT makes short goosenecks for their lav mics for just this purpose. I occasionally use their 'really small' wireless condensor lav mics on acoustic guitar and fiddle live. Done a similar setup for flute/whistle.

Like just about any live acoustic guitar setup, feedback is problematic. If you can keep the stage volume low your in good shape but if you have a ****** with a 100watt half stack blowing the backs of his knees out and saying he can't hear himself your in the deep doodoo.

We used an AKG C411 PP on a fiddle last October and it worked great, very high monitor levels with no feedback (OK, it was outdoors). Might be worth a try for guitar if you can fnd one. It attaches to the instrument with reusable adhesive putty. Stayed on all night with a rather rambunctious fiddler.

To the original poster, try to borrow some pickups and test them at a typical venue for feedback if you can thumbsup
Old 28th January 2008
Lives for gear

I have installed and used almost all of them. The best I found were:

Trance Audio. As mentioned, based on classic Arnie Lazarus FRAP. Now made by UA engineer Gary Hull.

Sunrise. But definitely get the Sunrise tube preamp to go with it, recent price changes make this pretty expensive now. But worth it, if you want top performance.

Steve

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search