The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Modern Pre? Channel Strips
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

Best Modern Pre?

Hi, I'm looking for a modernish sounding pre, something that would be used on a third eye blind album or Blink 182, or maybe even a new pop album. It kind of has the clean shine onto it.

What would you suggest? A Phoenix DRS?

Would a nevelike (GR ME-NV) not be the way to go?

Or should I just go transparent, like a sytek or a millenia or john hardy? or even a DAV or ULN-2?

Thanks. Just ask if you need more information on what I'm looking for.

I'm gonna record digital, if that matters in the choice much.
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

I think Blink recorded at Conway, probably using Neve 1081's. I don't have first hand knowledge, but I think you'd be happy with neve preamps, if you're doing rock.
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

I'm going to say... API.

I love Neve-ish pre's too...
But for more "modern" API is where it's at for me.
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
It kind of has the clean shine onto it.
I'm a bedroom recording "engineer" but all I can say is I find my dream preamp after several tries (trident, pacifica, chandler..).
Martech Mss-10 won't move from my desk, really awesome, punchy, clear, detailled, upfront...
the only issue is I don't have more excuses not to make a good sound
Old 21st January 2008
Gear Nut

On the Martinsound site they have a quote from Jerry Finn promoting the MSS-10. Jerry produced two albums for Blink 182.
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

what about that pop album sound? The like, natasha beddingfield/ britany spears sound? I got someone who wants to record that stuff, what would that be?
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear

bump?
Old 2nd April 2008
Gear Maniac

GR seems to be very recommended. What works for rock, will probably work well for pop as well...with exceptions.
Old 3rd April 2008
Lives for gear

The best??
The one I bought the last in most cases.
I have at least 15 the best pres, have no clue which is the best.
Or the best of bests.
It has a lot with what someone owns.
If one sells his best pre it would stop to be the best.
So the best is not to talk about the best, but appropriate to some particular tastes, senses, context etc...blah, blah...
Old 3rd April 2008
Lives for gear

I'm saying best as it

puts it in that modern style and most versatile.
Old 3rd April 2008
Gear Guru

I'd venture to say that if you use any of a whole host of good quality pres you wouldn't go out of possibility of 'that pop sound', as I'm of the persuasion that such a pop sound comes from to some extent HOW you record with said pres and to the biggest extent how you mix the result. 'That pop sound' is all about hype and that happens in the mix much ore than in the pre, so if the mix engineer knows how to achieve that you'll be on your way with any good quality pre on the market. Worry about getting an ENGINEER that can do the do!! If you're doing more subtle styles the choice of pre will have a greater effect.
Old 3rd April 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
I'd venture to say that if you use any of a whole host of good quality pres you wouldn't go out of possibility of 'that pop sound', as I'm of the persuasion that such a pop sound comes from to some extent HOW you record with said pres and to the biggest extent how you mix the result. 'That pop sound' is all about hype and that happens in the mix much ore than in the pre, so if the mix engineer knows how to achieve that you'll be on your way with any good quality pre on the market. Worry about getting an ENGINEER that can do the do!! If you're doing more subtle styles the choice of pre will have a greater effect.
we need more posts from THIS guy!
Old 3rd April 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackdude View Post
what about that pop album sound? The like, natasha beddingfield/ britany spears sound? I got someone who wants to record that stuff, what would that be?
That'll be some expensive reverb hardware (lex, TC...), some Eventides and maybe some soundtoys and you going absolutely over the top with all of them on everything and then squashing the f*** out of it. Oh, and lots of autotune of course.

Then get yourself a potato and some ink and start carving until you have a stamp that says 'MUSIC', so you can stamp your result in case anyone is confused about what it is.....

Or maybe better still, stamp it ' PRODUCT', as then it will find its natural target audience much easier.

And its always classy to put a little scratch sample in the turnarounds. Makes it street heh
Old 3rd April 2008
Lives for gear

It'd have to be Fearn or Manley ..something tube, for sure.
Old 3rd April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by isham View Post
I'm a bedroom recording "engineer" but all I can say is I find my dream preamp after several tries (trident, pacifica, chandler..).
Martech Mss-10 won't move from my desk, really awesome, punchy, clear, detailled, upfront...
the only issue is I don't have more excuses not to make a good sound
Quote:
Originally Posted by IxtabStudios View Post
On the Martinsound site they have a quote from Jerry Finn promoting the MSS-10. Jerry produced two albums for Blink 182.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackdude View Post
Yes, Jerry Finn continues to use his MSS-10s, Nick Raskulinecz and Joe Barresi use theirs (Foo Fighters, Bad Religion, etc.), Chalice had one to track Britney, Tony Kanal got one for the new No Doubt, etc.
Old 3rd April 2008
Gear Guru

Hey, Vernier.....got any spare tubes heh
Old 3rd April 2008
Lives for gear

Alright, thanks for the insight.

I really wanted to know a way to get some good hype to the sound because most of what I got is digital, but you had a good point about hype being put in the mix...
Old 4th April 2008
You know what sucks? Most good preamps sound good on most things. I often have a really hard time choosing between my API, X73 and P1 on sources. They all sound really good in their own way on things.

I'm tired of preamps... too scared to record because I can't decide which is the best of three great sounding pres. ;-)
Old 4th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey, Vernier.....got any spare tubes
Tubes last forever ..its a rumour about the four thousand hours ..they go ten times that.
Old 4th April 2008
Lives for gear

HAHA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
That'll be some expensive reverb hardware (lex, TC...), some Eventides and maybe some soundtoys and you going absolutely over the top with all of them on everything and then squashing the f*** out of it. Oh, and lots of autotune of course.

Then get yourself a potato and some ink and start carving until you have a stamp that says 'MUSIC', so you can stamp your result in case anyone is confused about what it is.....

Or maybe better still, stamp it ' PRODUCT', as then it will find its natural target audience much easier.

And its always classy to put a little scratch sample in the turnarounds. Makes it street heh
DAMMMNNN

THIS GUY SPEAKS THE TRUTH!
Old 4th April 2008

I would hazard a guess that if you are after a modern sounding preamp it will be transformerless, discrete solid state transistor or FET, and have a plastic gain knob.

Old 4th April 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
Tubes last forever ..its a rumour about the four thousand hours ..they go ten times that.
So have you got any? Or at least a little info about them....?heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search