The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 3124 same exact Pres as 512c per API 500 Series Preamps
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

API 3124 same exact Pres as 512c per API

While at NAMM today. I asked the sales rep if the 3124 had the same pres as the 512c. He answered yes. I asked him if they were different in any way and he said "nope, exactly the same. You would be a fool to buy 4 separate 512c pres over a 3124 for the price." I had to ask him a third time (in a different manner) just to see if he gave up any differences, and he said they are exactly the same.

Just thought this might help a few Slutz out on the boards here. Cause when I researched it on the forums, it seemed a bit unclear to me. But this sounds very definite right from the horse's mouth (or at least a rep of the horse...). Once he told me that, I felt compelled to pick up his business card, just so I would remember who he was that told me that info.
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

I gave API the SAME question a few weeks ago and got the SAME answer as you
Old 21st January 2008
Gear maniac

Lerxst=fool
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

Well, I only have two 512c 500 modules and 2 BAE 312a pres... so I guess I am only 1/2 a fool...
Old 21st January 2008

That's not entirely correct.

The instrument input is different.
Old 21st January 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
Well, I only have two 512c 500 modules and 2 BAE 312a pres... so I guess I am only 1/2 a fool...
I bought eight with a ten slot rack. Vintage King has a special that gives you the rack and pwr supply thrown in when you bought eight 500 series pre's. Still more expensive - although I have two more slots open to make myself even more foolish... I like the form factor, and I couldsell one or two if needed - at least that's my rationalization. Oh well - it's all good.

~Lerxst
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

They will probably also tell you that the new and old 512s are the same.
Old 21st January 2008
312 is equivalent/similar to the 1272 in terms of what they were designed to do in their respective consoles.
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

A while ago I had a conversation about this topic with our italian distributor. According to him the difference is in the output transformer, slightly bigger and more dynamic on the 512C. Everything else is identical.
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

API Tech support told me same pre different package. Think they should call hit 5124.
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

I'm just telling you what the sales rep told me at NAMM. Might just go right along with their crappy attitude for helping a number of people out at the NAMM show. There is another thread on GS about the NAMM API rudeness.

So, what I am understanding is... it was a "play on words"? The pre is the same, but the instrument input and the output transformer is different. Then to me, that would make it a different sounding device. I know the sound differences have been covered in another thread, but it kinda ticks me off that, while standing face to face with the sales rep for API at NAMM, that they would not go on to mention those elements. Poor service for sales to potential buyers. It would have taken him less than a minute to explain those differences. I know why they call them "salesmen". He said they are back-ordered on pretty much everything they sell, including the 3124 units.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search