The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rackmount Mesa Rectifier Recording pre
Old 27th December 2003
Jai guru deva om

I don't know about this thing...but another shout out to Amplitube. It's pretty nice actually.

War
Old 27th December 2003
Lives for gear

The Mesa Modeller is the best modelling amp out there, though I'm not a big fan of the mesa stuff to begin with.
Old 28th December 2003
Lives for gear

Rectos - whether they be the Dual, Triple, or rackmounted - all affect the guitar tone in a most severe way - This can be good or bad, depending on what type of results you desire.

It is a heavily processed sound Read: heavy duty active eq, multiple layers of compression. It sounds almost like a synthesizer program set up for "heavydistgtr."

Either channel will give you a very compressed sound which has no dynamic range whatsoever, and a sort of "fixed" timbre even though active eq controls are provided. You can't dial the mush out of one of these units.

If you want a compressed, mono-timbral texture that requires little effort to place in the background of a mix, these are perfect!

The amp head's power sections are biased extremely "cold" so they last past warranty, which tells you something about Mesa. fuuck

So why are they so popular? The style of rock music thats poular today (POD, Hubastank [******s?]) favors this type of tone. You can just bash away on open D power chords and it all gets flattened into one big thick "zzzzzzzzzzzzz" that doesn't interfere with the vocal track.

So now that you know that, what can you do to to get them to sound decent?

TURN THE GAIN DOWN!

These things sound better with the mid - high eq flatish and the gain and bass DOWN.

DON'T USE THE CLEAN CHANNEL It sounds like ass no matter what type of music you're recording.

Or even better, pick up a Soldano SP77 used for $500. These things are the proverbial "straight wire with insane gain" and sweet eq. Use a cabinet sim or better use a nice analog eq to dial a cab sim approximation (think highcut).
Attached Thumbnails
Rackmount Mesa Rectifier Recording pre-soldano-1.jpg  
Old 28th December 2003
Lives for gear

Or even better, the Diezel Herbert
Attached Thumbnails
Rackmount Mesa Rectifier Recording pre-diezel-3-1.jpg  
Old 28th December 2003
Gear Maniac
Quote:
The Mesa Modeller is the best modelling amp out there, though I'm not a big fan of the mesa stuff to begin with.
I take it you don't have one. I do and it isn't unless you plug it into a power amp.
Old 28th December 2003
Lives for gear

No I don't have one. I've heard a track with one as a scratch track and it sounded rectifier-esque. For high gain stuff, I like the soldano stuff much better as somebody mentioned before. The bad cat hot cat is even cooler to my ears. It's not quite as tight sounding as those class A/B amps though but I dont mind it when it sags a bit. I usually get my best tones when I modify my amps to run at very low wattages. When I'm recording I usually try to use a pair or EL-84's in whatever amp I'm using with some yellow jackets granted when you drive the power section it gets kind of squishy.
Old 28th December 2003
Gear Maniac
Can't disagree with any of that. If you really want to have some fun, plug on of these recording pre's into the clean channel of a Marshall head (not power amp). My JCM 2000 has been in the shop for repairs since I did this but I managed to capture probably the best recording tone I have ever heard before it blew. (Actually I don't think it was this config that did the damage, but the power brake that followed the head as it cooked an output transformer).

Duaneadam
Old 29th December 2003
Gear Nut

VOX TONELAB

Anyone tried the VOX Tonelab direct/modeler thing yet? It just got an Editor's Pick in Guitar Player mag last month (see URL below). I'd love to hear from anybody using it. I've never been a "direct" guy and use the POD only when I absolutely have to.

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/tonelab/tonelab.htm

I use the VOX Valvetronix 112 combo for recording and totally love it! I record mostly older, vintagey guitar tones and I mic this combo w/a '57. This amp kicks ass for home recording (did a record w/it recently too) and I'm wondering if the little box, which is based on the Valvetronix, does the same.....

Damon

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search