The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tac Scorpio
Old 11th January 2008
Gear Head

Tac Scorpio

Hi guys and gals!

It seems I can get my hands on a cheap Tac Scorpio 24 channel console for recording/mixing... Is it worth the hassle or should I save my hard earned money?!?!

What say thee?!?!?!

Regards, Jacob
Old 11th January 2008
Lives for gear

I remember working on a Scorpion in the mid 90's. Great little board for a project studio, or home studio. Really usable eq IIRC and lots of flexibility.

I would say go for it if the price is right.

Alexp

ps btw, whats the price on it? Im only asking as I remember these things being like 20 grand back in the day.

Alex
Old 11th January 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

They are decent. It depends on the model. They built some elco and/or xrl i/o
If it's the xlr it may be worth it. If it needs eleco's and they don't come with the board youll have to wire up patchbays it could cost more than the board is worth.
Gear Head

I learned to solder because of that board...

I used to have a Scorpion II which had the XLR i/o (didn't know about the Elco model...) I liked it just fine but found the buss outputs to be useless for mixing/subgrouping - they sounded noticeably worse when mixing through them. I had to swap some channels around to avoid the ones that sounded like they needed a recap. The pres didn't blow me away, but I liked the eq and I liked the "sound" of the board in general. Some weird things though were that the XLR's are not balanced (except mics of course) but they carried a +0 and a -12 signal on pins 2 and 3. So I had to solder up a bunch o' cables to use it properly. And that +0 was instead of +4, so depending what I was doing I sometimes felt like I had to crank things up more than I would have wanted. I miss having it as a studio centerpiece, but I got really tired of moving it every few years whenever I moved. Still, it's a decent board and since it's modular it's more easily repaired and modded. Some people think they are total crap, though. But wasn't Bleach recorded on Scorpion?

Good luck to you. Wanna buy some cables? heh
Old 11th January 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by horncoppers View Post
Hi guys and gals!

It seems I can get my hands on a cheap Tac Scorpio 24 channel console for recording/mixing... Is it worth the hassle or should I save my hard earned money?!?!

What say thee?!?!?!

Regards, Jacob

The upgraded version of the TAC Virgo?

(sorry, i couldn't resist)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvetfreddy View Post
The upgraded version of the TAC Virgo?

(sorry, i couldn't resist)
nah, just her tweeked out party girl sister.
Old 14th January 2008 | Show parent
Gear Head

Hi guys

Thanks for your replies... I don't know which of the scorpio boards it is, but I'll know more in a couple of days (the seller is out of town right now), and I'll get back with more then!

Regards, Jacob
📝 Reply