The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Spdif/joe meek Other Controllers
Old 10th January 2008
Here for the gear

Spdif/joe meek

so i bought the Joe Meek Twin Q channel strip for a number of reasons... one being its digital output.. YAY inputs #17 and 18 into pro tools LE!!

anywho... i am getting TONS of digital noise (pops, glitches, crackling noise) on everything musical(bass, piano, guitar,) so i always have to use its analog outs into my other converters... which i dont mind when its an overdub, but i bought it for the two EXTRA digital inputs while my 16 other ins are being used...

so my question is... do all Spdif converters kind of suck? this is my only experience using Spdif so i dont know all too much about its quality and what have you... i was planning on buying an additional stereo AD/DA of higher quality but if this is the case with all Spdif then i dont think i should make the investment

am i missing something maybe in my setup? right now my system is

Mytek 8 96k inputs---optical--> digi003<---spdif-- joe meek digital out
i am using the Mytek as my master and clock source for protools... is this wrong?

daniel
Old 10th January 2008
Lives for gear

I have a twinq, and am about to do the exact same thing as you...just opened it up, actually. The pre's sound OK, I'm more interested in the comp/meequalizer though...however, the spidf problem may be from having a crappy spidf cable. I've heard, but not experienced, that using sub-par cableing for clocking can be trouble.
Old 10th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother thunder View Post
..i am getting TONS of digital noise (pops, glitches, crackling noise)... right now my system is

Mytek 8 96k inputs---optical--> digi003<---spdif-- joe meek digital out
i am using the Mytek as my master and clock source for protools... is this wrong?
Pops and clicks usualy come from a clocking problem. There is nothing inherently wrong with SPDIF that would make all implementations pop/click.

Does your Mytek have a BNC-clock out connector and the Joe Meek a BNC-clock input? If so, go buy a wordclock cable and
1) connect them
2) terminate the wordclock properly (you'll need to check the manuals on the Mytek and Joe Meek to see if they are internally terminated or need extenal terminators)
3) set the Joe Meek for external clock.

If you only have the single spdif cable going from the Joe Meek to the 003 then it is not carrying the clock from the Mytek. (It could carry the Joe Meek clock to the 003). SPDIF can carry clock and signal but only in the same direction.
Old 10th January 2008
Here for the gear

yeah yeah i know the jm and the mytek have word clock connections... need to see if they are ready to be linked!

i will check it tonight when i go to the studio

ps.. to the guy above who just bought it...

the compressor at 2:1 is really 5:1 so its insane sounding and tricky to use all the time... and the eq is pretty wild... dont be scared to crank some low end with that guy the 50-85 hz region is really nice on that box sometimes i wish the pre was a little bigger sounding on drums... but i recently recording a piano with a baby bottle going into the jm and going some wild sounds out of it!

daniel
Old 10th January 2008
Lives for gear

Make sure you have the correct settings set on the back of the twinQ. There are 2 buttons... 1 for 44.1k / 48k, and another that has a x2 (ie. 88.2k / 96k). Set them for whatever sample rate you're recording at.
---
c
Old 10th January 2008
Gear Nut

I have an older Twin Qcs with the optional s/pdif card and when I've used it with a Firepod to get 2 more inputs, The Meek needs to be the master clock.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search