The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50 Headphones are AWESOME
Old 9th January 2008
Lives for gear

Audio Technica ATH-M50 Headphones are AWESOME

I just received my second pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones the other day and these cans continue to blow me away. Before I was hip to these I was using Sony MDR-7506s and there is absolutely no comparison between the two. The M50s destroy the 7506s. Night and day difference. Bass a mile deeper and more firm without sounding artificially hyped. Crystal clear highs. Amazing representation of spatial info.

Anyone else have these headphones and loving them?

If you haven't yet heard them give them a try! For ~$150 new and less than $100 used here on the classifieds these things are almost too good to be true.
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Old 9th January 2008
Gear Nut

i might give them a try, i`m into headphones, lol.
i`ve got a little collection of quality cans the pinnacle of which is apair of akg k701`s and i love em. grado`s are supposed to be awesome aswell.
Old 9th January 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

The ATH-M50 seem to be aimed directly at 7506 users...they are a similar design, but the M50 exceeds the 7506 in basically every respect.

They don't exceed every other headphone out there though...that's the hitch.
Old 9th January 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
They don't exceed every other headphone out there though...that's the hitch.
What else do you like in the sub $200 price range? I would definitely be interested to check them out.

And I just want to add that these headphones are just plain FUN to listen to. Music comes alive especially on albums that have lots of interesting spatial info and movement.
Old 9th February 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Haven't heard these...but I'm very familar with the ATH M45s and I really like them because they are very transparent, very accurate.

Are you familar with the M45s and if so, how would you compare them?
Old 9th February 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PheelTheMusic View Post

Just got off of mine for two full sides of a record album! First phones I have owned that I like listening to almost as much as my big speakers. The bass is so good I sometimes forget I am listening to cans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 3rd View Post
Haven't heard these...but I'm very familar with the ATH M45s and I really like them because they are very transparent, very accurate.

Are you familar with the M45s and if so, how would you compare them?
I think you mean the M40's? I also have them and they are great but the clarity is not even close. Or the accuracy of the bass. I still use them when I want a little less accuracy though.

The M50's are so good that they also bring out all the flaws. Not always the best choice. The source sound has to be worthy!
The M45s replaced the M40s. I haven't had an opportunity to listen to the ATM50's yet, but i'm eager to do so. I have a pair of Beyer DT770's and those are my favorites, but I started getting into Ultrasone's HFI450's and good god they sound amazing, especially clarity in the top end. Sub $100 the Ultrasone's are my favorites. They still don't beat the Beyers though.
Lives for gear

I bought a pair to replace a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-250's that a client sat on and broke. Nice cans.
Gear Nut

Quote:
What else do you like in the sub $200 price range? I would definitely be interested to check them out.
Just found GRADO SR80 -headphones on discount price, 119€!!!
Too good to be true. I ordered one pair right away!

If you don't know these headphones, do yourself a favor and check them out before ordering anything else!!!
Old 9th February 2008
Lives for gear

I have a pair of these on order just to have the different reference. It helps that they are mostly getting rave reviews. I'll hit you back when I play with them.
Lives for gear

I guess I'm the only one who didn't like them. I did burn them in. Not sure how to describe what I didn't like, maybe it was a presence missing in the lower midrange. The bass was VERY well defined but perhaps a bit forward. I didn't trust them as a reference. For listening though, I liked them alot. But I prefer my Sennheiser HD580's for reference granted those are open and more $. I have yet to find a closed pair that I really love. I am curious about the Ultrasones.
Lives for gear

i am comparing the M50s this moment to my AKG240 Studio.

the m50s have more detail, the bass is much more detailed and
i hear dynamics better.
Old 9th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I just received my second pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones the other day and these cans continue to blow me away. Before I was hip to these I was using Sony MDR-7506s and there is absolutely no comparison between the two. The M50s destroy the 7506s. Night and day difference. Bass a mile deeper and more firm without sounding artificially hyped. Crystal clear highs. Amazing representation of spatial info.

If you haven't yet heard them give them a try! For ~$150 new and less than $100 used here on the classifieds these things are almost too good to be true.
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
I got a pair of these for Christmas and like them quite a bit. I A/B on headphones and use them sometimes when tracking, but I don't mix on them. For me, the ATH-M50s were the perfect blend of performance/price. I don't need anything more.
Lives for gear

M50's are a great phone at a great price.

Also have Ultrasones, Sony's and had AKG's (various models) in the past...M50's are my favorite by far.
Old 11th February 2008 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
i am comparing the M50s this moment to my AKG240 Studio.

the m50s have more detail, the bass is much more detailed and
i hear dynamics better.

hmmm, I need to hear a pair of these, I also use AKG 240's and find them a huge improvement over my last pair of ATH M40's. Im also interested in hearing some Beyerdynamics models. Helpful post guys, thanks!
Lives for gear

I was going to post a thread on these. Glad someone else likes them as much as I do. In this price range, they are fantastic (just great in general, I'd say). Love mine!

I have SEVERAL other brands, usual suspects. AT's are my fave.
Old 12th February 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

ya these cans are amazing. you get some real sub-bass with them, they aren't fatiguing, they fit great, and they are cheap!
Old 26th November 2008 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Well my biggest complaint about the ATH-M50 phones was the stupid coiled cord. And now they have they M50-s. With a straight cord.

I just bought the new version on Ebay and have my old ones up for auction. I still can't understand the original cord, in what circumstance would you every want that?
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
I still can't understand the original cord, in what circumstance would you every want that?

Radio. I actually like that it doesn't get underfoot, and I can walk ten feet away without taking them off.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobersezhey View Post
Radio. I actually like that it doesn't get underfoot, and I can walk ten feet away without taking them off.
Ah, I see. You can buy my coiled cord model. Really great phones, would be at 3 times the price.
Lives for gear

Guys , I see alot of people enamoured with these cans and that's your right for sure however after buying mine on e-bay on what I read of other's opinions and hoping to improve on my 4 pairs of M40fs, Iwant to inject a little bit of caution into the love session so no one else does the same without first checking them out.

For me the plusses are they are relatively cheap with very strong but well controlled bass and extremely smooth mids; initially very impressive.

The down side of the snoothness means they are not really telling the story and in fact are not particularly revealing or open making them largely unusable for me .

As far as comfort goes they are fairly uncomfortable and tend to be fairly sweaty.

I wouldn't buy another pair; my M40fs are more accurate and much more comfortable .

Just another point of view YMMV.
Cheers, Ross
Gear Maniac

Wish the ATH M50 were as comfortable as the AKG K240.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas3 View Post
Wish the ATH M50 were as comfortable as the AKG K240.
The M50's are comfortable on me....I wear glasses, so they don't pinch my ear against my frames.

On the ear models (like the sony mdr6, V6) are much less comfort for me ('cos the glasses) and also have less isolation.
Gear Maniac

I have used these for a while now and absolutely rely on them in the live mixing context. Essential for me for PFLing and sources, especially in a festival context where no soundcheck is possible. Great Headphones.
Lives for gear

I've got the M40's and they have been great for the price, took them round Asia and trashed them though so need a new pair, would definitely consider another pair from Audio Technica so nice to read that the M50's are so well regarded.
Gear Addict

Just got my first pair - love them!
Lives for gear

I gotta throw my love for these ATHM50 headphones into the ring as well. This is the one thing I've bought this year that I started out excited to get them, got them, put them on, was extremely impressed, continued to be impressed every time I put them on, and have absolutely no regrets about buying and would replace them in a heartbeat without putting a thought into any other models. AT did a bang-up job with these things.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirt View Post
For me the plusses are they are relatively cheap with very strong but well controlled bass and extremely smooth mids; initially very impressive.

The down side of the snoothness means they are not really telling the story and in fact are not particularly revealing or open making them largely unusable for me .

As far as comfort goes they are fairly uncomfortable and tend to be fairly sweaty.

I wouldn't buy another pair; my M40fs are more accurate and much more comfortable .

Just another point of view YMMV.
Cheers, Ross
Hi Ross, I don't believe any headphones really tell the story. I have NEVER mixed on headphones and had it translate well to speakers, so I'm not sure what you mean by them being unusable for you.

I also own a couple of M40's and have used them for many years, I don't think they are more accurate, but perhaps a little more comfortable like you said. And a bit more subdued. But most importantly, especially in the bass, I find the experience of listening to the M50's more close to hearing music in a room with speakers.
Old 10th December 2008 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Hi Ross, I don't believe any headphones really tell the story.
All cans may embellish a little, but a Sennheiser HD600 with a really good preamp comes damn close. Very likely closer than most people's control rooms, given the fact that most of us have inferior room treatment.

I just bought the AT M50 and I'm really impressed. I think they'll be great tracking phones.
📝 Reply