The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do you have to have hardware for PT M-Powered?
Old 6th January 2008
Lives for gear
Do you have to have hardware for PT M-Powered?

I'm trying to get into PT as cheaply as possible - just going to use it to mix some stuff. I think you have to have a M-Audio piece with it, right? I would want to use my Rosetta, so I would just use the M-Audio hardware as a dongle...What's the cheapest piece of hardware I can buy and still use PT?
Old 6th January 2008
Lives for gear

I remember reading about this little guy just the other day ::

Digidesign Mbox 2 Micro USB Audio Interface (Mac and Windows) from zZounds.com!
Old 6th January 2008
Lives for gear
Well - the problem is it just has the one headphone output and no inputs...and I'd like to be able to record some guitar parts...
Old 6th January 2008
The internet is great.

You can go to digidesign.com, have a look at the PT M-powered section, and look at the interface options.

There'll be at least 1 or 2 that have the input/output options you require - bearing in mind you've not said what apogee you've got, how many inputs it has (lightpipe ADAT or S/PDIF connection?) and exactly what your needs are.

The short answer is yes - it's called M-Powered because you can use M-Audio hardware instead of the PT LE hardware. But you do need an M-Audio interface.

If you need more than one headphone output, chances are you'll just need to connect a 2nd headphone amp to a spare set of your unnamed apogee's outputs.

I'd politely suggest that this is the sort of research it's a lot easier to do for yourself, rather than asking one rather lazy question, and then have to clarify points you didn't mention in the first place.
Old 6th January 2008
Lives for gear
Well, then you would be kind of rude to suggest that. My question was whether or not you HAVE to have the M-Audio hardware...not where to find the Digidesign website. I'm glad the forum police posted to set me straight.
I came here to Gearslutz - where you can supposedly ask a question and get good advice - to see if anyone had a similar problem and resolution.

The Micro only has one output - period. It's a 1/8th jack and no outputs. If this had a spdif connection, I would be all over it. I didn't know if there was some inexpensive piece of M-Audio gear that could act as a dongle and I could use my Rosetta 200 and all my other outboard gear.
Old 6th January 2008
Lives for gear

Asides from Protools Free (OS 9, no longer supported, buggy, etc...) you MUST have some hardware piece for Protools.
Old 6th January 2008
Gear Addict

audiophile 24/96: £45, has spdif.
Old 6th January 2008
Lives for gear
People are answering your question. True, there did seem to be a suggestion that you easily could have found the answer but going to Digi's site, or M Audio's.

The ansewr is, you can download the software for free. But if you wish to use it you must have a Digi approved interface/ Which version of the software you use is determined by the interface you use.
Old 6th January 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjplayer View Post
audiophile 24/96: £45, has spdif.
Thanks! - Actually, I have a Mac Pro, so I have to have a PCI express card...I guess I'll just have to get an Mbox 2 - I was just hoping I could get something like the 2496 that didn't cost much and use it to get into PT.
Old 6th January 2008
Lives for gear

PT MP comes with an iLok and requires you to use an M-Audio interface. Instead of buying PT MP for $250, I bought the GuitarBox Pro bundle for $550. It comes with PT MP and an iLok, as well as a plug-in bundle;
Bomb Factory Fairchild Bundle, Pultec Bundle, Moogerfooger Bundle, Voce Bundle, SansAmp PSA-1, Tel-Ray Variable Delay, TL Space, Maxim, and DINR LE.
I wanted the Fairchild and Pultec plugs, so the bundle was a cheap way to get them, plus SansAmp and TL Space have proven to be great additions to the stock Digirack stuff.
It also came with a Black Box Reloaded USB interface. I didn't need the interface as I bought the ProFire Lightbridge for 34 ins/36 outs with PT MP, but I kept it as a second interface/fx box. It has S/PDIF out so you can use it with an outboard D/A for monitoring an ITB mix, though it has no digital input and is 44.1k only.
I use it for working on stuff at home, from editing projects to playing through the amp models on phones. It's served as an fx box in the studio quite a bit as well, some of the tap tempo based filter effects are very cool for overdubs and mixing. May be too limited as your sole interface, but if you're interested in those plugs it's worth considering anyway.
Old 6th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffmo View Post
People are answering your question. True, there did seem to be a suggestion that you easily could have found the answer but going to Digi's site, or M Audio's.

The ansewr is, you can download the software for free. But if you wish to use it you must have a Digi approved interface/ Which version of the software you use is determined by the interface you use.
I was under the impression that you had to pay for the M-powered software. Maybe it's changed?
Old 6th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
I was under the impression that you had to pay for the M-powered software. Maybe it's changed?
I think he meant the other kind of free.tutt
Old 7th January 2008
To the OP

I didn't mean to come off as rude - more like "try a bit harder next time".
I don't want to be thought of as the forum police, but then you don't want to be thought of as the forum idiot either (and I suppose you won't be whilst Hob/Blender is around anyway).

This sort of forum is great for discussion and help. But generally, people respond to you a bit better if you do your own research first. If you can find the Digidesign site, you can find the answer to your question, and a lot quicker than waiting for someone to post a reply here. And since you didn't give all the criteria you had in your head in your first post, you're going to find a lot of irrelevant suggestions. You've now clarified you've got a Rosetta 200 - if you'd had an 800, the suggestions would have been different. You could have looked at the M-powered/LE part of digidesign.com, and you'd have found which interfaces had the right options for you, also found out that Digi/M-Powered interfaces were required, and you'd have been away.

Anyway, back on topic. Steffmo - you're wrong, you can't download M-powered for free, at least legally. You buy the software, it comes with an iLok to authorise it, plus you need an M-Audio interface qualified for m-powered. You can't even download the regular PT LE updates without a digidesign account to prove you've purchased the original software (else everyone would just download the latest PT upgrades instead of paying for them.
Old 7th January 2008
Lives for gear
Hey - you know what Psycho? Don't bother responding if this is such a waste of your valued time. I don't appreciate you inferring that my question was stupid - or for calling me the board idiot. I have been a valued contributor to this forum for more posts and longer than you - and I don't need you coming in here telling me what and when to post. So - if you have a problem with this thread, then don't click on it. I was hoping someone would make an insightful post - like Subspace - and point me in a direction I hadn't thought about. Thank you for your input, Subspace. I knew when posting this that I could go the Mbox 2 route, but I figured there would invariably be someone on this site that had experience with this very situation. God forbid I don't live up to your posting guidelines.
Old 7th January 2008
Lives for gear

you can buy an m-audio transit and use that to spdif or adat in and use the spidf you back to your converter. That way, you use your converter, and pro tools. You can get it for about $70.

Hope that helps. It helped me
Old 7th January 2008
Lives for gear

as mentioned...there's hardware that you can get for under 100 dollars...

you'll have to realize as well though that Pro-Tools M-Powered is going to cost you an additional 250 dollars on top of whatever the price of the hardware piece

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search