The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal Twin 6's too big? Dynamics Plugins
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Maniac

Focal Twin 6's too big?

I'm debating going to Solo6's or Twin6's. My control room is 11x15, I'm concerned if the Twin6's might be too large for the room. Any thoughts?
Old 3rd January 2008
I love my solo 6's I had Event ASP 8 and they were too big for that room... I haven't heard the twins though.
Old 3rd January 2008
11x15 is fine for the Twins. If it was 10x11 than that would be too small and you would want the Solo's instead.
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
11x15 is fine for the Twins. If it was 10x11 than that would be too small and you would want the Solo's instead.
Why is that?
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

The Twins are fine in small rooms, even if you have to place them vertically. I love mine! thumbsup

The front part of my room is only 11' and the Twins work great, even with the Solo as the center channel.

Regards,
Bruce
Old 3rd January 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midiguy View Post
Why is that?
Well, you are talking about 55 less sq. ft. for the sound to travel around. Makes a big difference. Anything 10x11 or under should be the Solo's and anything 11x12 or up can be the Twins (unless you get into huge areas which really don't apply to this conversation).

Likewise, you can certainly use either the Solo's or the Twins in your room and you'll be just fine. However, I think you'd prefer the Twins and your room size certainly supports using them.
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
Anything 10x11 or under should be the Solo's and anything 11x12 or up can be the Twins
Oscar Meyer Bologna. I've put 'em in small rooms. They do just as well as they do in big rooms. If the room ain't up to snuff for good audio, the Solo's aren't gonna sound better because they're smaller. If you think the Twins are too loud for your small room...turn them down. You'll still get the separation and bottom octave that the Twins are great for.

We've got a pair of Urei 813s in our wall. Probably about 10 times the size and 5 times the juice of the Twin 6s or S3As we typically keep in our rather small control room. We keep an Auratone in the middle of it all. It's a purpose built room for, you guessed it, audio. In turn, all of the speakers, big or small, sound the way that they should. Period.
Old 4th January 2008
Lives for gear

My room is about the same size, and the twins sounds good
Old 4th January 2008
Gear Nut

question for Twins users..

from what i understand they have a front bass port - how close to the corners/walls can Twins be placed without running into problems?

(I know that some speakers are better when placed at a significant distance off the walls - but sometimes you have little choice if you got a smallish room)
Old 4th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grexter View Post
from what i understand they have a front bass port - how close to the corners/walls can Twins be placed without running into problems?
Yes, the Focals have front firing ports. I had both of my rooms professionally tuned and the Focals are jammed up against the front wall. The XLR in the back is actually touching the wall. I need to get a 90degree adapter.
Damn they sound great!thumbsup

Regards,
Bruce
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search