The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How do you notate favorite signal chains? Utility Plugins
Old 3rd January 2008
How do you notate favorite signal chains?

O.K. I've been recording and mixing long enough now to have some favorite signal chains. I'm thinking about creating some type of reference so I don't forget them. Has anyone else already done this? ...and if so how did you do it? For me, I think using some type of software would be best. I thought about Excel but it would be cool if it was searchable like with meta tags.
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

I keep notes on some kind of simple word processing software (like notepad or simple text). I place that file in the band's folder with their sessions. Not too great on cross-referencing like what you're talking about, but it works for me. If I need to remember what I did on what project, etc. it works great. It's just a digital version of a recall sheet. I'll give all the details on what head and the settings, what cab, how the room was set up, what mic, give a description of the placement, what pre and the settings, EQ or not, Comp (if any), what FX are on the auxes, where they are. It can be a long process to type this stuff all up. I've been kicking around the idea of incorporating JPGs, but haven't to any reasonable degree thus far.
Old 3rd January 2008
I like the idea of pictures.
Old 3rd January 2008
The Omni Group - OmniGraffle

or if your on PC, Visio...

I think what you are after is basically a "network diagram" but applied for audio usage. I too think visually and pictures convey much more information to me than text. you can create custom shapes for your equipment, so that they have the look feel of the hardware and program connection points to allow schematic type drawings.
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

i recall noted myself to death in an earlier life. now each day is a new beginning.
Old 3rd January 2008
I just stumbled across "Google Notebook" It looks like it will do everything I was looking for ....including pictures. Plus I can use my google password to share the data with any PC running the plugin. It runs on Firefox and the best part is it's free.
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

I use the notes section under each track in PT to describe the signal chain in rough terms (121>GML>MC77) but unless I have a great new sound that I think I might forget or if things get complicated, I don't write down any other details.
Old 4th January 2008
Gear Maniac

If you save notes as part of a templated word document, whatever hierarchy within a document or group of documents you chose, you could search across multiple documents or files to find whatever consistently notated bits you wanted to reference.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search