The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How important is the Brit Mod on a distressor?
Old 11th June 2004
Lives for gear

How important is the Brit Mod on a distressor?

I have located a few for sale, but am very curious about the Brit Mod. The one that I have heard personally didnt have this modification. Thanks, and sorry for the dumb questions.

Also, I have a Mackie 32.8 mixer in case that I would be willing to trade towards getting maybe 2 distressors and paying whatever differnce etc.
Old 11th June 2004
Lives for gear

Re: How important is the Brit Mod on a distressor?

Quote:
Originally posted by AlanTide
I have located a few for sale, but am very curious about the Brit Mod. The one that I have heard personally didnt have this modification. Thanks, and sorry for the dumb questions.

Also, I have a Mackie 32.8 mixer in case that I would be willing to trade towards getting maybe 2 distressors and paying whatever differnce etc.
I tend to use Opto a lot more ( I would describe Opto as a Must Have feature), but I do often try Brit Mode to see if it will serve my purposes. I put Brit Mode in a "Nice to Have but Could Live Without" category. YMMVIMHO.
Old 11th June 2004
Rab
KMR Audio

It's another flavour for not a lot more, so if you have the option I'd go for it. Although I'd still rather do the "all buttons in" thing on a 1176 if one was around.
Old 11th June 2004
Lives for gear

Re: Re: How important is the Brit Mod on a distressor?

Quote:
Originally posted by bloodstone
I tend to use Opto a lot more ( I would describe Opto as a Must Have feature), but I do often try Brit Mode to see if it will serve my purposes. I put Brit Mode in a "Nice to Have but Could Live Without" category. YMMVIMHO.
Huh? Opto is not a add on mod. It's a mode available on all models.
Old 11th June 2004
Lives for gear

Re: How important is the Brit Mod on a distressor?

Quote:
Originally posted by AlanTide
very important! i use brit mode all the time... a very useful feature. ymmv.
joshua
Old 11th June 2004
Lives for gear

oPTO

If I'm not mistaken, Opto used to be a Mod (when I bought mine). I've had my unit for a while. I could be having a premature Sr. moment.
Old 12th June 2004
Lives for gear

When I bought mine (about 1 year ago) the "opto" setting came standard on all models. You could look at the brit mod like this:

1: I'm allready spending x amount of cash.. what's a little bit more?

OR

2: I could always spend the $100-150 ( i think thats what it was) at a later time and have them mod'd by the factory later..

3: Gearslut says "buy two with all the bells and whistles, its only money".!

I picked # 3heh

You CAN live without the mod ,but then you'll allways wonder what you might be missing.....it does wonders when the right thing comes up.

ERic
Old 12th June 2004
jho
Lives for gear

I agree with Rainsinvelvet on all counts.

I don't use Brit mod but maybe 10-20% of the time but when it works it's pretty magical. 80-90% of that time it's usually on snare.
Old 12th June 2004
Re: oPTO

Quote:
Originally posted by bloodstone
If I'm not mistaken, Opto used to be a Mod (when I bought mine). I've had my unit for a while. I could be having a premature Sr. moment.
I've had mine for years, opto was never a mod
Old 12th June 2004
Lives for gear

Opto etc.

Ok. I stand corrected as far as Opto. As far as Brit mod goes everyone's probably right. If you don't have Brit mode, you'll wish you did, and it would be a pain to have to send the unit off to the factory. In the same vein, I wish I had gotten the stereo mod, even though I only have one Distressor. I plan on getting a second one, but haven't had the cash.
Old 12th June 2004
Gaaaaahhhh one of these days I will get round to sending my pair off to Paris to get Brit mod installed..... I want it but don't have it ...Haroomph!
Old 13th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Gaaaaahhhh one of these days I will get round to sending my pair off to Paris to get Brit mod installed..... I want it but don't have it ...Haroomph!
See! Told ya so (heheeee)
Jules- should have picked #3 (see my original post).

Oh well, now to buy me one of those Transient Designers..

ERic
Old 13th June 2004
Lives for gear

I have it and never use it!
Old 13th June 2004
Old 13th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
That's an interesting statement, sending your Distressor to France for the British mode. Seems somehow...unnatural.
Old 13th June 2004
Lives for gear

Never Try, or Never Use

Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
I have it and never use it!
Is it that you've tried it and decided you don't like it that much, therefore you've given up on it, or do you continue to give it a chance but it just ain't happenin?
Old 15th June 2004
Gear Guru
Why is a mod that emulates an 1176 called "Brit Mode"? I'm pretty sure Bill Putnam and his company were American. Unless, of course, you don't consider LA to be a part of America!
Old 15th June 2004
Lives for gear

Brit Mode

Quote:
Originally posted by PRobb
Why is a mod that emulates an 1176 called "Brit Mode"? I'm pretty sure Bill Putnam and his company were American. Unless, of course, you don't consider LA to be a part of America!
I thought it was because some British engineer discovered that you could push "All Buttons In" on an 1176 and it would cause the unit to do something unique that wasn't intended when it was designed.
Old 15th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
I thought it was because some British engineer discovered that you could push "All Buttons In" on an 1176 and it would cause the unit to do something unique that wasn't intended when it was designed.
What exactly is included in the "British Mod" anyway?? I am fuzzy on this.

To the original poster of the thread..
I don't have a Distressor YET, is the Brit mod an 1176 All Buttons In "Nuke" setting??? If it is then yes I think the mod is worth it IMHO, All buttons in is very useful for drum sub in my book.
Old 15th June 2004
Lives for gear

British Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by not_so_new
What exactly is included in the "British Mod" anyway?? I am fuzzy on this.

To the original poster of the thread..
I don't have a Distressor YET, is the Brit mod an 1176 All Buttons In "Nuke" setting??? If it is then yes I think the mod is worth it IMHO, All buttons in is very useful for drum sub in my book.
Somewhere someone described British mod as a "skimming" tool. If you set the attack and release right, it tends to only hit the peaks of a signal, with a very light touch. SO it sort of "skims" the peaks.
Old 16th June 2004
Lives for gear

Don't confuse the "brit mod" switch with the "nuke" ratio setting.
The brit mod is suppost to be the "all buttons in" thing on an 1176.

hope that helps.
ERic

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search