The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mackie 824s after treating your room: Much Better?
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

How high must a basstrap be to be effective? Is it ok to have an 5.6 feet trap in a 8.2 high room?

Rebuilding my room now so therefore a few questions

thanks

/R
In the corners it's best to have the go floor to ceiling, so that they cover both the wall/wall corners but the tri-corners at the top and bottom. Either that or special triangular traps that go in those top and bottom tri-corners.
Gear Maniac

the traps from realtraps.com are disigned in a different way though. With breatingspace underneath the absorbation as shown on the pic. Are the tri-corners a critical area btw?

and i ask again here if i put an isolationplate in the ceiling thats 2x4 feet should i place the short side against the front wall or the opposite? and as u described, have it slightly in front of me towards the speakers. (in the middle of the speakers).

thanks

/R
Attached Thumbnails
Mackie 824s after treating your room:  Much Better?-cust_schmidt2.jpg  
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rymdis View Post
but its enough to have just one right over my head then
See these:

How to set up a room
Early Reflections

--Ethan
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
great reading!! easy to understand.

But i still wonder how important the tri-corners are? Will there be an extra boost there of the lower end? Is it worth making traps just for the tri-corners?

And i know now where to place the abosrbation in the ceiling. Well i know the distance between me and the speakers but i still dont know if i should have one for each speaker or just one in the middle? And as i have a 2x4 feet plate what would be the general rule to place it? With the short side towards the front wall or the long side towards the front wall? (if one is enough that is)

many thanks if someone could help me out here. These are the last obsticles i have

thanks
/R
Gear Nut

Tri corners are a nice place to install bass traps because bass frequency like to go there, so the trap 'traps' more, if you understand what i mean...

At the end of this thread, you can see how i made my tri-corners traps: ther are just 1 4''x2'' Roxul Safe and Sound, cut in 4 triangle, stacked and the glued to the tri-corners.

I' m no engineer, but i bet that around 12'' of nice rockwool capture a lot of the very low end there.

Is Roxul Safe and sound a good alternative to 703?
Lives for gear

Fascinating thread.

I haven't treated my room yet, but I improved my Mackies enormously by getting them well away from the walls and placing them on Mopads and sand filled stands.

For nearfield I have worked with NS-10Ms, Dynaudio BM6a's and PMC's. The Mackies, for me, are more accurate and true. The PMCs a close 2nd. For "referencing" I do like the Dynaudio's. They sound more HIFI to me than the Mackies. I can get mixes to translate with both. heh

Some of the comments I have heard have worried me though. The Mackies sluggish? Set them up properly and they are far from sluggish. Don't skimp on stands and don't set up your monitors around your desk. Get your listening position sorted within the room and then set the rest of your gear around that.

Oh and don't jump on the bandwagon.
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALL*MYTEE View Post
They'll still be Mackies.
This logic astounds me. Mackie outsourced the engineering to develop the HR824s the drivers and the amplifiers. Who knows if they made their own cabinets? Come on. Mackie, nor any other full-line manufacturer, uses the same engineering and production resources for everything, causing all products to sound and/or perform the same way. You bought into a popular bias, and it shows your lack of intelligence.

Neve has made some ****, but we don't poop on Rupert and say, "It's a Neve!"
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rymdis View Post
These are the last obsticles i have
Promise? heh

Quote:
Is it worth making traps just for the tri-corners?
Sure.

Quote:
i still dont know if i should have one for each speaker or just one in the middle?
It's an area, not a point, so cover the entire area.

--Ethan
SRS
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC View Post
This logic astounds me. Mackie outsourced the engineering to develop the HR824s the drivers and the amplifiers. Who knows if they made their own cabinets? Come on. Mackie, nor any other full-line manufacturer, uses the same engineering and production resources for everything, causing all products to sound and/or perform the same way. You bought into a popular bias, and it shows your lack of intelligence.

Neve has made some ****, but we don't poop on Rupert and say, "It's a Neve!"
Definitely a great point. That Mackie 1604 mixer sure bombed in the market huh... There must be a million of those things still in service around the world, at some high end facilities... Mackie makes fine products for the target market...period.
Old 1st February 2009
Here for the gear

Auralex bass traps

Thought I had adequately treated my room, but my Mackies still rumbled the bass all over. Put Auralex bass traps (about $250) in all the corners and WHOA-AH! Now I'm starting to resemble a cave dweller, pale skin and protruding eyes from exTENDed stays in the studio!
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiketronic View Post
Thought I had adequately treated my room, but my Mackies still rumbled the bass all over. Put Auralex bass traps (about $250) in all the corners and WHOA-AH! Now I'm starting to resemble a cave dweller, pale skin and protruding eyes from exTENDed stays in the studio!
Auralex does not equal proper bass trapping. Check out Ethan's site or Studiotips.com and read the test data about Auralex. Those Lenrds (which are mis named by the way) are not worth the money for what they do (or don't do).

So, again, do not blame the monitors for your room's issues. Your room's modes and speaker placement induced nodes are likely the problem. It could also be your room can not handle bass that low. You might need smaller monitors.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Promise? heh

Sure.

It's an area, not a point, so cover the entire area.

--Ethan
well, the more i read on your page Ethan, the more questions pop up actually Must be that it contains alot of information i guess.

But will the tri-corner traps make a huge improvment? Well i guess thats hard to tell. Almost every studio that ive looked at have something up there and i guess they dont have it there just for fun though.

Ok so theres a big area then. Is there some way to maybe calculate how big that area is? Is it like a square or more of a rectangle? That was why i asked how to set up my rectangular absorbation plate.

if anyone knows its u Ethan!!!!!! King of absorbation.

/R
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

It's very simple:

The more total corner surface you cover the better. Always.

--Ethan
📝 Reply