The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How is the Safesound Dynamics Toolbox? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 1st January 2008
Here for the gear

How is the Safesound Dynamics Toolbox?

Hi Guys ,Has anybody here bought this compressor, I want to pull the trigger but haven't seen any reviews on it yet.I'm looking for a unit to track vocals,guitars,bass,amps, sound modules and vst instruments .I currently have GTQ2mk3,Toft atc2 and a modded DBX586 for rackable pres & eq I also have a small soundcraft mixer and a da7.For compression I currently have the toft ,a modded ART pro vla and an Aphex 651, I,ve also got uad & powercore ITB.Compessors under consideration are Tfpro P38,a pair of dakings,Aurora GTC,and the HCL solution 2,I use lynx2 & rme convertors and was hoping to get some collective feedback to help me make a decision as I want to make the purchase within the next two weeks.
PS -I been there and done the following:-
La4
Drawmer 1960/1968
distressors
rnc
summit tla 100
Would the safesound be the most versatile of my preferred candidates considering what I currently own?
Old 1st January 2008
you dont have a fatso or a distressor?

go, kill yourself hehheh

to be honest, no bass, guitar, snare, kicktracking without distressor/fatso.

I am not a pro. don't trust me

==> to extend my answer:
I will get one safesound in the next few weeks. will informa ya.
Old 1st January 2008
Here for the gear

With all due respect George, I used to run a neve room with lots of toys including a pair of early model distressors ,I have also produced and mixed in SSL & API rooms.With regard to the distressors - While I agree that they are versatile they always sounded as if they had a disproportionate amount of third order harmonics to me and slightly harsh.I have had success tracking vox snares & kicks with them but these days I,m mostly using drum samples and im not doing a lot of rock .I play bass keys and guitar and some tracks live some sequenced,Im currently doing a lot of writing and from experience I know that there is more than one way to get results . I dont like distressors(distortion box)Granted ,I havent heard the fatso.
Do you have any other reccomendations ?
Thanx for the reply
Old 1st January 2008
Lives for gear

I've got a Dynamics Toolbox. I'm still getting to know it, but my initial impression is that it's a very nice, smooth and clean compressor. I'm using it for mixing, not so much for tracking as yet. I record mostly jazz and other acoustic musics, and it's sounding very polished on the stereo mix. I'll give a report once I've had more time to get to know it.
Old 2nd January 2008
Here for the gear

Hey JJ ,did you get the transformers?
Old 2nd January 2008
Lives for gear

I didn't get the transformers, at least not yet. I thought I'd get to know the box as is, plus I often track through ISA428 pres, which also have Lundahl transformers, so I'm not sure I'd need to pass my audio through the same tranformers twice.
Old 2nd January 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by polysoniq View Post
With all due respect George, I used to run a neve room with lots of toys including a pair of early model distressors ,I have also produced and mixed in SSL & API rooms.With regard to the distressors - While I agree that they are versatile they always sounded as if they had a disproportionate amount of third order harmonics to me and slightly harsh.I have had success tracking vox snares & kicks with them but these days I,m mostly using drum samples and im not doing a lot of rock .I play bass keys and guitar and some tracks live some sequenced,Im currently doing a lot of writing and from experience I know that there is more than one way to get results . I dont like distressors(distortion box)Granted ,I havent heard the fatso.
Do you have any other reccomendations ?
Thanx for the reply
hehheh ok.. you really got me.. heh

do you remember how you dialed them in? we usually use dist3 and slitght compression on heavy guitars.

I agree, that it's not the "best" comprssor for focals.

to be honest, I think the Tubetech CL-2a is my goto for focals and overheads.

again, I think the buzzaudio SOC-1.1 plays in the same ballpark.

that is a matter of taste. do you have the chance, to rent stuff, to try it out?

I have a pair of LA4 (blackface, with modification. they had a serious curcuitdesignproblem). I like them on acoustic guitar, and kick.

never tried the summit (I rent the EQ usually). the EQ is killer, but that was not your question.

I never used any drawmer gear, except some for live and I replaced those drawmer gates with apex gates. happy now.

RNC is an FX-compressor. you should have one handy
Old 2nd January 2008
Lives for gear

I was sent the box for beta testing and where I don't usually care for VCA compression this box surprised me quite a bit. The one I used had the Lundahl transformers in it. I thought it was a fantastic 2 buss compressor. Very clean and transparent (if that's what you wanted it to be). It had the best feature set of any analog compressor I've ever owned or used. Built in side chain with EQ and parallel compression at the push of a button (very nice).

In fact it was sent to me to try as I'm not a big fan of VCA based compression for 2 buss (mastering) work, however this box did change my mind. I really don't want to comment on it any further as a review is in the works as I write.

Andy Hong has it right now and is doing the review so you should see something about it in the next issue of Tape-Op (or possibly the issue after the next). Since Andy doesn't screw around when it comes to reviews I expect a pretty detailed unbiased opinion about the (tool) box.
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

I use the original Safesound P1 for tracking vocals and bass. It's so transparent it's rediculous.
Old 3rd January 2008
Here for the gear

Thank you for the replies gentlemen thumbsup,and props on the heads up about the upcoming review Larry ,However your collective comments have swayed me and I've decided to order one this week (the Dynamics toolbox that is),the box sounds very flexible and transparent which is high on my list.
I've pondered the transformer options but after reading Jungle Jazz's post I think I'll use the same approach. Color can always be added at a later stage if needed using a variety of options .The Aurora Audio GTC is my next comp purchase as it offers both fet & opto with an original approach.I love my GTQ2mk3 and the only reason I didn't make the GTC 1st choice is I assume that the signature will be similar in formant.Sometimes I print my 2mix or stems through the GTQ for how should I say, "bigness" heh heh
I think the " toolbox" will give me more mileage for my current way of working till my next compressor purchase.

AT George: do you remember how you dialed them in? we usually use dist3 and slight compression on heavy guitars.

--- Unfortunately no ,I always use my ears while cranking knobs and I was in "distress" over 10 years ago, a lot has changed since .I do remember that they were within the first 50 made and I put them up against some of the stuff in the room 1176's black & silver ,dbx 165's,urei la3 to get some baseline comparatives and it was in the general ballpark in some respects but definitely not organic.Ive used nuke on over heads and korg cx3 with sucess.

never tried the summit (I rent the EQ usually). the EQ is killer, but that was not your question.

---TLA100 not the best signal to noise in the world but on guitars ,magic It's also great on female BV's .This chain: AKG414-1st revision Avalon VT737 pre only-TLA100 = spacious ,smooth ,silky .
EQP200a- love it on 2mix , nice ass and warmth ,spongy airy

RNC is an FX-compressor. you should have one handy

--- I own one dfegad,however it died of a transient heart attack. heh
The rnc song : 'If you gotta do low,I say no no no' tutt
I,ve also got a joe meek that works on guitars sometimes.fx compressor.
Old 3rd January 2008
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
It had the best feature set of any analog compressor I've ever owned or used.
Larry, I'm really happy to read this comment. As you know this box is near and dear to me in that I was able to provide Robert @ Safe Sound Audio with my wish list of features. The goal was to create one compressor for tracking, submixing and final mix duties, with different flavors to be achieved (without that "pinched" sort of VCA sound though) and based on all of the feedback I've received I'm told we reached the goal. With so many computer based project studios around, many just need one box that can be versatile.

I know Safe Sound is getting mentioned a lot in here for clean compression, but this box is capable of driven sounds! The "Dynamic Tracking" mode will crunch and fizz nicely when pushed with higher ratios and faster attack / release times. On drum submixes in parallel I am beyond pleased! It's also dual mono so you can for example track a clean vocal in channel 1 and grunge up a bass guitar on channel 2.

I have clips coming soon, it's been hell getting my studio setup around here and I'm finally getting things wrapped up here in the next week or so.

Sorry, I know I am beyond completely biased but it's nice to hear the feedback so far!

War

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search