The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tape stop/start effect Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 9th June 2004
Lives for gear

Tape stop/start effect

I am looking for the effect where you slow a tape down to stop during playback (or start it from stop). Basically like a scrubbing effect...

http://hem.bredband.net/tbtaudio/tapestop.html

Does anyone know if something like this
exists for Mac OSX native..??? I'm on Logic Pro so the digi plugs won't do the trick...

It doesn't have to be realtime and I don't mind printing the effect - or rather: bounce it to disk) - as long as I don't have leave the digital domain.

Any ideas..?
Old 9th June 2004
Old 9th June 2004
Lives for gear

the digi vari-fi sucks. sounds sooo digital, no low end, audible artifacts etc.
Old 9th June 2004
Rab
KMR Audio

I guess you know Vari Fi is what you need. It's little things like this that almost make it worth getting an MBox and Pro Tools LE.

Maybe one of the DJ-type programs...

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp...-Creakbox.html

This is in my "toys to try out" folder so I don't know if it's any good or not.
Old 5th April 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by preben View Post
I am looking for the effect where you slow a tape down to stop during playback (or start it from stop). Basically like a scrubbing effect...

http://hem.bredband.net/tbtaudio/tapestop.html

Does anyone know if something like this
exists for Mac OSX native..??? I'm on Logic Pro so the digi plugs won't do the trick...

It doesn't have to be realtime and I don't mind printing the effect - or rather: bounce it to disk) - as long as I don't have leave the digital domain.

Any ideas..?

Yes, in Logic you can do it very easy:
Old 5th April 2013
There used to be a freebie VST plug out there called "Tape Stop", when you hit it the sound would literally start to slow down and get real slow and murky, eventually stopping altogether. It was cool as hell, I just couldn't get it to work with *really old and slow* system.

I just did a google search and a youtube vid of it came up...
Old 6th April 2013
Gear Maniac

Den is right - you can do it right in Logic since V 9.0 - I would try that first
Old 6th April 2013
Most DAWs have pitch and time stretch algorithms which are accessed as offline processing. (Offline processing can be far higher quality than realtime plugins, because you often have quality options, and serious pitch stretching at high quality takes serious rendering time - real time is a compromise).

It's not commonly known that you can turn OFF the time stretching and formant shifting options that are typically defaulted to ON. That makes them more like analog tape or vinyl pitch shifting - where the pitch and formants all go down together as the time stretches out.

So you could just stretch the audio to fit the time you want to fill, with pitch an formant correction turned OFF.

Some algorithms give you are graph where you can choose your curve. Play around with whatever pitch and time tools your DAW has.
Old 6th April 2013
Gear Maniac

I use Reaper. In that DAW you just insert a tempo marker in your master track where you want to change your play-rate ("tape speed") effect and then using the automation line drag the "speed" of the track up, down, or to whatever you want it to be. (you put the tempo marker on the master track so it controls the tempo of the entire project) I did a movie trailer last year for a typical "Time Machine" movie. I had a ticking clock at the end of the trailer that ticked slower and slooower, and slooooooower, on down to zero. Worked pretty cool. No VST's needed. It works cool the other way too. Start a track out at zero and wind it up like tape coming up to speed. Depending on the slope of your tempo automation curve or line you can ramp it up to speed slowly, or nearly instantaneously. Simple as that...and I think most DAW's are capable of this. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 6th April 2013
Lives for gear
My Otari mx-70 does this amazingly. I am not sure if it's supposed to or not, but thr way it does it is so great. I love slowing down, then turning the tape around and speeding up during transitions in songs, extremely dramatic.

Also John Medeski does this all time with the flywheel on his mellotron. Not recommended as it is dangerous to the machine, but it sounds amazing, like the best pitch bend I have ever heard.
Old 6th April 2013
Lives for gear

I use a Stephens 821b for that effect... :-)
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search