The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Connecting a hardware compressor to 003 rack Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 29th December 2007
Gear nut

Connecting a hardware compressor to 003 rack

I just got myself a DBX 160A compressor. I am trying to hook it up to my Digi 003 rack. I want to feed my mic into the Preamp of the Digi 003 and then send that signal into my compressor and then have it go back into the Digi 003 for A/D conversion and recording to disc. I guess what I need is an insert point in between the Digi's preamp and A/D. Can this be done? I've done searches and consulted the 003's manual but I can't find out how to do it. I am thinking this should be quite easy to accomplish, but go easy on me, I'm new at this.

All help is appreciated!
Thanks
Es
Old 29th December 2007
Lives for gear

Do yourself a favor and do not track through the 160A at all.

If you feel you must track into a compressor, then get yourself a GOOD outboard mic pre (which you should have anyway), then go from the outboard mic pre into a GOOD compressor, then from the compressor into the 003 AD converter.

I'm not sure if the 003 allows you to use the built-in mic pre without going directly into the AD... which means you'd then have to go AD to DA to AD in order to "insert" the comnpressor into the record path... if that is the case, then do NOT, under any circumstances, even think about putting that compressor inline during tracking.

Just get a GOOD outboard mic pre.
Old 29th December 2007
Lives for gear

The 003 preamps do not offer an insert point; you will have to use an outboard pre or bus the input back out the converters into the 160A and back. That might give you a proc/unproc pair, which I like for flexibility anyway and usually mult to do it.
Old 29th December 2007
Gear maniac

I wouldn't hesitate to track through a DBX 160, but like Peeder said, there isn't an insert point between mic pre and AD on the 003.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search