The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
my thoughts for anyone who might be interested (Genelec 1031a, Yamaha HS80m)
Old 28th December 2007
Gear Maniac

my thoughts for anyone who might be interested (Genelec 1031a, Yamaha HS80m)

NOTE: The following are my humble opinions offered to those who may be looking at purchasing the HS80m monitors. The only reason i post these opinions is because i was curious and had friends who were curious as well. This is not meant to be a bashing Yamaha or Genelec thread. If it helps someone great!

I've seen a lot of posts about the Yamaha HS80m here and on other posts. So i went to pick up a pair to compare with my Genelec 1031a's a sound a lot of people are pretty familiar with.

I have them side by side in a well treated room. First off they sound great ESPECIALLY for the price. To me they sound generally even through the frequency spectrum as well as full without sounding tubby (for lack of a better word). I would definitely say you don't really need a sub for most music with the HS80s in a treated room.

Granted it's an unfair comparison between these and the Genelecs but the Yamahas hold their own. Where they differ the most with the Genelecs, for me, is in the depth of sound. You can place instruments from front to back (if you will) a lot easier on the Genelecs. Everything sounds kinda upfront on the HS80's so i found myself adding a touch too much reverb, etc... on completely dry tracks. However, the level of detail surprisingly good, in my opinion, on the HS80's and, not surprisingly, the Genelecs provide quite a bit more.

I'm going to keep them as a second set of speakers. I like them. They don't have the same level of detail as an expensive set of monitors so it's not a good idea to get them thinking there is no reason to put out for Dyn, ADAM, Genelec, etc... but they do provide enough detail to get great sounding mixes.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search