The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
opinions on vocal mic/compressor?session tomorrow
Old 27th December 2007
Gear Maniac

opinions on vocal mic/compressor?session tomorrow

I've got a session tomorrow at Metalworks where I'll be laying down some vocal tracks in hip-hop style. I really want to capture the grime and pain in the voice and also want to hear each syllable crispy and clearly. I haven't decided on whether I should use a Neumann U-47 FET, Neumann U-87, or RE-20 or a combination of them.

The voices are somewhat raspy and mid-rangy with lots of character. I'm planning to record through a NEVE 1081 pre directly into protools. Then after the vocals are done i think i'll run them back through the Neve and add a teletronix LA2 or UREI 1176LN for compression.

Any tips or thoughts on this? I haven't used this equipment before and I really want to get a feel for the "classic" gear. I also have UREI 1178, UREI LA-4, NEVE 2254, and PULTEC EQP-1A at my disposal.

Please let me know what I should experiment with or try out. Thanks.
Old 28th December 2007
Lives for gear

Put all 3 up and record a few bars of each.
Old 28th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
Put all 3 up and record a few bars of each.
Yep. Agreed and see what works best.

BUT BUT BUT don't get too caught up in it and lose that grimey painful vibe (sounds kinda ridiculous saying that but I know what you mean...).

Make a decision and just go for it.

Listen to what the singer sounds most comfortable with as well (are you the singer?) and let it roll.

Have fun!

R.
Old 28th December 2007
Lives for gear

Agreed - put 'em all up & do some testing. And skip the compression on the way in, especially if you're going to analog or 24bit digital. Maybe just a little CLEAN compression to tame the dynamics enough to hear how it sits against the track. Save the crush/color/artifact stuff for mixdown.

Scott

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search