The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Laptop Power Supply & Computer noise
Old 27th December 2007
Gear Head

Laptop Power Supply & Computer noise

Hi all

From what I can gather that annoying computer noise that comes from laptops is cheap power supplies. It's a high pitched jittery noise that gets exaggerated when performing different computer functions such as moving the mouse etc... The noise goes away as soon as I unplug the charger.

Can anyone recommend a replacement power supply?

I live in Australia btw.
Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

Try lifting the mains ground pin on the PS.
Old 27th December 2007
Gear Nut

lose the ground or use di's with groundlift
had that problem with my last laptop...
firewire soundcard?
not sure why this is but maybe someone else can eliighten us..
didnt have the problem with cardbus multiface but with all firewire interfaces on the problem machine..
should be safe... mac power adapters have no ground here in canada/us..maybe thats why
again maybe someone else can fill in the blanks for me
Old 27th December 2007
Gear Nut

sorry brian.. didnt see your post when started typing
Old 27th December 2007
Gear Head

Yeh it's a FW soundcard. It happens with every FW soundcard I've tried.
Is lifting the ground safe to do longterm?
Old 27th December 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklesson View Post
Is lifting the ground safe to do longterm?
i hope so, mine's been lifted for a few months now and, aside from a blue flash every time a plug it into an already powered socket, it's been fine.
Old 27th December 2007
Gear Head

I just did some reading up on the subject...

"If you look around your house, what you will find is that just about every appliance with a metal case has a three-prong outlet. This may also include some things, like your computer, that have a metal-encased power supply inside even if the device itself comes in a plastic case. The idea behind grounding is to protect the people who use metal-encased appliances from electric shock. The casing is connected directly to the ground prong.
Let's say that a wire comes loose inside an ungrounded metal case, and the loose wire touches the metal case. If the loose wire is hot, then the metal case is now hot, and anyone who touches it will get a potentially fatal shock. With the case grounded, the electricity from the hot wire flows straight to ground, and this trips the fuse in the fuse box. Now the appliance won't work, but it won't kill you either. What happens if you cut off the ground prong or use a cheater plug so you can plug a three-prong appliance into a two-prong outlet? Nothing really -- the appliance will still operate. What you have done, however, is disable an important safety feature that protects you from electric shock if a wire comes loose."
Old 27th December 2007
Gear Addict

i get little electric shocks from the metal bits of my laptop when i lift the ground, but as the laptop is after the transformer stage, they will never be enough to kill me. that's what i keep telling myself anyway.
Old 27th December 2007
Gear Maniac

+1 for ground lift
Old 27th December 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklesson View Post
I just did some reading up on the subject...

"If you look around your house, what you will find is that just about every appliance with a metal case has a three-prong outlet. This may also include some things, like your computer, that have a metal-encased power supply inside even if the device itself comes in a plastic case. The idea behind grounding is to protect the people who use metal-encased appliances from electric shock. The casing is connected directly to the ground prong.
Let's say that a wire comes loose inside an ungrounded metal case, and the loose wire touches the metal case. If the loose wire is hot, then the metal case is now hot, and anyone who touches it will get a potentially fatal shock. With the case grounded, the electricity from the hot wire flows straight to ground, and this trips the fuse in the fuse box. Now the appliance won't work, but it won't kill you either. What happens if you cut off the ground prong or use a cheater plug so you can plug a three-prong appliance into a two-prong outlet? Nothing really -- the appliance will still operate. What you have done, however, is disable an important safety feature that protects you from electric shock if a wire comes loose."
It's safe, you're still grounded through whatever audio gear your connected to. Besides, I've seen plenty of laptop power supplies without a ground pin.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search