The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why Are My KM184's This Hot?
Old 25th November 2002
Lives for gear

Why Are My KM184's This Hot?

My KM184's are overly hot. With any preamp turned all the way down, they will clip my A/D pretty easily. I'm 100% positive that my conveters are properly calibrated.

It bothers me that some of my preamps have a few optimum settings that I can't achieve with 184's. For example, on my Flamingo if I want to switch in the Fat or Iron amps and overdrive them by attenuating -6dB to every +6dB of gain (or more depending on how much distortion I want), I don't have that option with these mics. There are several other preamps I have or will be adding soon that can be overdriven to achieve some character.

Another big problem is there's no way to safely flip on phantom power to the 184's, except for preamps that slowly ramp the phantom up. If you turn on the preamp first, let it warm up, then flip on phantom power, a 184 will POP in pain. If you have phantom switched on and then switch on the preamp's power, POP. If you plug the mic in with the pre all ready to go, POP. Bad for the mic, the pre, and it can damage the speakers! All situations have the preamp gain at nil.

I'd bet $ that other people here have used 184's. Do your's do this crap? What do you about it?

I guess the only way to handle my 184's safely is with preamps that have output level controls, pads, or slowly ramped phantom.

(I posted this on recording.org but that place is a ghost town!)
Old 25th November 2002
Lives for gear

km184's ARE very hot output mics. They are transformerless and use an opamp for the capsule amp electronics and balanced interface. I find this (too) hot output a bit annoying too. They can almost be run directly into a line level input (like the M149) on loud sources. ( I remember Fletcher writing about doing so somewhere.) I would try using an in-line pad to get the level down a bit if I was to do what you want to do.

Concerning the 48v switching, I'm not sure it's actually dangerous for the mic itself. I think it's a good idea to turn down or mute the pre output or at least the monitor level control for the speakers when turning 48v on regardless if it's ramping or not. Many boards have the 48v always on and you have to be careful with the monitoring when patching something in the mic lines or mic inputs at the patchbay so muting either the channel or monitor playback when I make a mic to mic amp connection has become second nature. yuktyy
Old 25th November 2002
Gear Nut

I have the same problem with my KM184's when I use them for OH Drum mics. Even with no preamp gain they still run the converters right into the red. I really don't like the results with the 20db pad on my pre so maybe a 5db or 10db inline pad would do the trick. Can anyone recommend some decent inline pads?
Old 25th November 2002
Gear Nut

Here`s what you need : PAD

Amund
Old 26th November 2002
One with big hooves

Like others have said, get some pads. The Shure or AT variables are the way to go. If you can't find those get some -20dB's. That's where mine usually end up, I rarely need -30 but there have been times that the ability to pad that much has saved my butt. Also, like GroundControl said, it's really bad idea to switch phantom on if the channel isn't muted. It's not bad for the mics, hot patching is OK though I try to avoid it, but it usually makes a nasty pop that's bad for speakers, headphones and the musicians wearing them. I always mute the cue mix before I patch anything. Ask me how I learned that lesson.
Old 26th November 2002
Lives for gear

also . . put the in line pad closest to source.
Old 26th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
Ask me how I learned that lesson.
Funny, for some reason I have images coming to me... heh
Old 26th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
hot patching is OK though I try to avoid it, but it usually makes a nasty pop that's bad for speakers, headphones and the musicians wearing them. I always mute the cue mix before I patch anything. Ask me how I learned that lesson.
I've always kept my monitors turned down low but not muted and told the musos to remove their phones. So far only fucked up twice! Well, more than that if you count how many times I forgot to turn down my monitors, but only twice into cues (duh). Who needs LF drivers anyway? Overrated (lol).

Re. getting some pads, sounds like a must. The only drawback I see is if they veil the sound somewhat. I'd rather have a very on faint dullness on good mics than good mics that I can't use where I want 'em, though.

Thanks for the link!
Old 26th November 2002
Lives for gear

From the link above: This model is not suitable for use with the condenser powering system called "A-B Powering."

What is dat? I don't want to fry anything. Probably esoteric but ya never know.

Anybody know what happens if you pad a "A-B" powered line?
Old 26th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anybody know what happens if you pad a "A-B" powered line? [/B]
your penis falls off

:eek:
Old 26th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Knox
your penis falls off

:eek: :eek: :eek:

NOT good...
Old 26th November 2002
Lives for gear

Jax, there is no veil with rightly implemented resistive pads. Just a (very) little bit of thermal noise from the resistors used in the circuit. Get a pair of Shure, they are very useful little critters to have around the studio.

A-B is a different scheme than phantom power but similar idea of remote powering condenser microphones. It's used on location (think movie) recording equipment and uses 12 volts.

To know if you have A-B or phantom powered microphones, put a pad on the line and look inside your pants...
Old 26th November 2002
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info gc. If I wear a cup and a grounded wrist strap from Radio Shack do I get to keep my dick in the event of 12V???!

I wonder if I'll be able to hear thermal noise with and without balanced power for the pres.
Old 26th November 2002
Lives for gear

Well you know where you have to put the grounded strap... :eek:

BTW, don't get me started on that whole balanced power hype... tut
Old 26th November 2002
Lives for gear

Jackson . . this is assuming you have one to lose. Some of us here . . . had to trade them in on gear.
Old 28th November 2002
One with big hooves

I wouldn't worry about the slightly increased noise. Shit, a guitar amp makes more noise then 90% of the mics you'll ever use.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear