The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
500 series super rack... ?
Old 26th December 2007
Gear Addict

500 series super rack... ?

Seems as though power consumption has gotten out of hand with the 500 series modules! why offer modules that require so much power that, you can't fill a 10 space rack with out sacrificing headroom, etc?

Is it time for a, "Super rack" or a smaller rack?... your thoughts? -Klauth.
Old 26th December 2007
Not sure what you are referring to. OSA's PSU is 3 amps for 11 or 8 modules. That's double what's needed. The new Purple Sweet Ten is 1.8 amps for 10 modules, that's more power than necessary for even the most powerful full rack of modules (Buzz Audio or Shadow Hills). I am not positive but I think the BAE rack is 1.5 amps for 10 modules, which will power 10 Buzz Elixirs just fine.
Old 26th December 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
I am not positive but I think the BAE rack is 1.5 amps
The Brent Averill rack uses a 3 Amp power supply.
Old 26th December 2007
Lives for gear

Mk VIII

Pete's Place Audio is working on one.
Attached Thumbnails
500 series super rack... ?-mk-viii.jpg  
Old 26th December 2007
Gear Addict

.... Like, the germanium for example. Chandler is recommending, THEIR power source. Due to the overly demanding power requirements of, THEIR module. which increases the cost of an already existing rack w/P/S. why not then, just buy their rack mounted germanium. if the cost is so close?

The Shadow Hills and, Buzz both state that you can run only so many modules in a rack.

My point is this. why have a 10 space rack if, you can only run 4 or even 6 modules of a given brand? seems out of balance to me, But, I'm just a consumer/victim of infatuation with the stuff.

I'd love to buy just one brand of rack and not have to worry about power issues. I don't think I'm alone on this either... am I?

I wish I knew more about the technical side of things... just thinking, not challenging. Klauth.
Old 26th December 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Montessi View Post

I saw this in te New Product Alert forum. Any more news on availablity and pricing?
Old 26th December 2007
Lives for gear

Still working on it......with all the input from everyone it made life just a tad harder but it's coming.

On the Pricing.............sorry no clue at this time.

But thank you for your interest.

Peter
Old 26th December 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Very cool! I can see the future of the whole "500 series console" coming to be with faders etc...!

Look forward to seeing the finish product!

~Lerxst
Old 26th December 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klauth View Post
.... Like, the germanium for example. Chandler is recommending, THEIR power source. Due to the overly demanding power requirements of, THEIR module. which increases the cost of an already existing rack w/P/S. why not then, just buy their rack mounted germanium. if the cost is so close?
well i think their are some power hungry units out their, but as i understand it, ( and i am not defending anyone just pointing out some info ), the Germ 500 is not power hungry.
Wade was trying to point out, if you use rack, or lunchbox lacking a internal power supply, the Germ 500 will be quitter, better performance.

Quote:
The Shadow Hills and, Buzz both state that you can run only so many modules in a rack.
yes some modules are power hungry, and although i wish they would choose to stay with-in the VPR Alliance guidelines, i would not worry to much about one or two units.

Quote:
My point is this. why have a 10 space rack if, you can only run 4 or even 6 modules of a given brand? seems out of balance to me, But, I'm just a consumer/victim of infatuation with the stuff.
just choose units that fall in the VPR Alliance guidelines, and their will be no issues

Quote:
I'd love to buy just one brand of rack and not have to worry about power issues. I don't think I'm alone on this either... am I?
you could get a API, BA, or OSA, and be fine.

Quote:
I wish I knew more about the technical side of things... just thinking, not challenging. Klauth.

remember it is allays easier to improve on a design then it is to design, that is true for just about anything.
their not is nothing wrong with companies offering better power supplies, i think it is great.
if they can supply a better regulated +/-16V, better 48V ( attention needed here in some units ), i am all for it.
that dose not mean you will need it.

P.S i am using a pair of buzz comps as well as a Shadow Hill pre in my OSA rack, no issues at all : )~
Old 26th December 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:

i am so excited about this!!!!!!

did that hand in the photo get washed before touching?

heh
Old 26th December 2007
Quote:
I don't think anyone can answer that question for you...the Germanium 500 draws only 40 mA. That's less than an API.

Quote:
In an API 6b rack specifically.

Quote:
Again, the problem with the higher draw modules vs the lower capacity racks has been with the API 6b.

Quote:
No, but we have to just go with the numbers of the PSU. It's simple math. 3 amps = 3000 Milliamps. Buzz Elixir draws 150 Milliamps, so 3 amp supply (like in OSA, BAE) will power theoretically 20 Elixirs (or around 19 Shadow Hills). More than you can fit into a rack. Purple Sweet ten 1.8 amps = 1800 milliamps. That's 12 Buzz Elixirs...2 more than the rack can even hold. So that's three choices right there that have MORE power than you'll ever need for a complete full rack of the most powerful single module units on the market.

Quote:
Old 26th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
This made my pants small. thumbsup
Old 26th December 2007
Gear Nut

All this talk about amps and milli-amps this and that, you are ALL forgetting to specify your amp rating with your reference.

Power supply specifications are usually given in reference to its Common.

So if a power supply is 1.5A, it means it is 1.5A for +16VDC and 1.5A for -16VDC in reference to its Common in the middle; or you can say it is 3A TOTAL.

Similarly, if a modules draws 40mA, you must specify if it is PER RAIL in reference to Common (which is usually is) or if it's TOTAL from both rails. Do some homework, be more specific and we can all understand each other and avoid costly confusion.

Avedis
Old 26th December 2007
Lives for gear
SOT...This is for Nathan..But anyone with the answer can chime in...heh..Nathan, this has been mentioned in another thread, but since this is dealing with basically the same issue..... Will the power supply with the OSA rack,( Trak Pack) the one with the two ( dual 4 pin) supply outs, power another Trak Pack rack full of modules without underpowering the modules? Thanks...
Old 26th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman View Post
SOT...This is for Nathan..But anyone with the answer can chime in...heh..Nathan, this has been mentioned in another thread, but since this is dealing with basically the same issue..... Will the power supply with the OSA rack,( Trak Pack) the one with the two ( dual 4 pin) supply outs, power another Trak Pack rack full of modules without underpowering the modules? Thanks...
Check Nathan's last post. "...theoretically 20 Elixirs..." IE, nearly two full racks.
Old 27th December 2007
500 series nutjob

so for anyone that missed it!
and assuming i got it, Avedis is saying, the B.A., or API supply at 1.5 amps is actually a 3 amp supply.
i can only assume the OSA is as well the same 3 amps, being rated 1.5 + and 1.5- at +/- 16 volts.
so essentially their really should be no concern power wise with these unit.
Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
rock on peter
Old 27th December 2007
Gear Addict

I just want a, REALLY strong sense of confidence about the gear I'm purchasing, especially at these prices! when I read things like, i.e. "you need a stronger p/s" or, "you can only run x # of modules" it shuns my confidence as a consumer! -Klauth.
Old 27th December 2007
Quote:
I just want a, REALLY strong sense of confidence about the gear I'm purchasing, especially at these prices! when I read things like, i.e. "you need a stronger p/s" or, "you can only run x # of modules" it shuns my confidence as a consumer! -Klauth.
Logic prevails though over fear...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search