The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blake Lewis new CD
Old 25th December 2007
Lives for gear

Blake Lewis new CD

So the wife got me this CD for a stocking stuffer. I was hoping to hear something good from the idol camp for a change (since Kelly, that is...). I didn't expect much but I had my hopes up since he's one of the more interesting idol folks in memory.

Unfortunately, it has that totally digital, manufactured in the studio sound all the way through. Very disappointing, from a musical aspect. If you strip away all the pro tools edits and ear candy filler, the songs are weak at their core. Not much of an "audio daydream"- more like an "audio chaotic choppy nightmare".

I would like to believe that had he been left to his own devices he would have made a much better sounding record. But sadly, the boardrooms would never allow that.

PS: Don't get me wrong - tastefully done editing with purpose and musical value can add a lot to a track. But if that's all the track has, it gets boring pretty quickly.

Just my 02 !
Old 25th December 2007
Lives for gear

you have to be kidding me. you bought an album from an idol artist and expected something other than what it is?
Old 25th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Greedy View Post
you have to be kidding me. you bought an album from an idol artist and expected something other than what it is?
I second that emotion. IMO the American Idol participants represent everything that is wrong with music/the music industry.
Old 25th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
IMO the American Idol participants represent everything that is wrong with music/the music industry.
Really?? are you being serious?

I really don't think the participants themselves are to blame...
In fact, they become mice in the wheels even if they win... I'd bet that a lot of the non-winners end up being better off than the actual winners... Not sure exactly of the contracts but...

Point is.. it's a little wierd to me to blame the mouse... running on the wheel.

The participants themselves aren't "what's wrong with the music industry" imo.

The music industry... is what's wrong with the music industry.
Old 25th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Greedy View Post
Read my post... my WIFE bought it for me, thinking I would like it. I would have never bought it on my own. I had to listen to my "when the pawn" CD just to cleanse my ears afterwards!!
Old 25th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
I second that emotion. IMO the American Idol participants represent everything that is wrong with music/the music industry.
Easy on me bro.. .my wife stuck it in my stocking.. it was a gift... a gift of digital crap.
Old 25th December 2007
Lives for gear

Not to mention what a dumb album cover! Music commerce as we once knew it is gone for good- welcome to the age of mediocrity and the lowest common denominator. Music has become "one size fits all."
Old 25th December 2007
Lives for gear

Oh yeah, and Merry Christmas!!heh
Old 25th December 2007
Lives for gear

Its entertaiment!Not years of songcrafting and woodshedding on ones axe.Carrie Underwood is the same thing.But she sings ok!They corparatized her pretty good already.Maybe that is why country folks like her.SHe is on the cover of every other mag in the supermarket.Exactly what is wrong with the music/entertainment biz imo.Dont forget that AI is about making fun of idiots and an occasional someone who can actually hold a tune.
Best part is watching the idiots!I get a good laugh!
Old 26th December 2007
Lives for gear

I heard it when it came out....dog****.

And I don't even like dogs.
Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

I would have someone taste any food she makes for you, dude.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search