The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sidechaining with the SSL buss comp
Old 24th December 2007
Lives for gear

Sidechaining with the SSL buss comp

Note, this is with the hardware version... So let me make sure I'm doing this right since I've never really worried about side-chaining that much. I'm just testing this with a mix I already did, so I took the mix and duplicated it, and sent that out a mono channel of PT's. I put an EQ plug on the mono mix channel and high-passed it up to 90 hZ, which from what I've read, keeps all the low end energy of the kick and bass from triggering the compressor too much. That about right?
Old 24th December 2007
Lives for gear

If it sounds good then fine, but I thought the point of side-chaining was so you could share those lower frequencies... I haven't tried it much.
Old 24th December 2007
Lives for gear

I don't know... I'm pretty sure I'm correct, but I'm just checking to see if this would be the right way of going about it.
Old 25th December 2007
Send the entire mix except for the kick and bass to the SSL via the sidechain. The low end will not trigger the compressor and things will be much more even.
Old 25th December 2007
Lives for gear

wow, is that wrong.
Old 25th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beats workin' View Post
wow, is that wrong.
Please explain...
Old 25th December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by beats workin' View Post
wow, is that wrong.
Uh what?

If you send via a mono send everything except for the kick drum and the bass to the sidechain input on the SSL and then the entire mix is inserted to the SSL for compression and you enable the sidechain, everything in the mix will trigger the compressor except for the kick and bass. This way the low end won't be constantly triggering the compressor (only the tracks sent to the sidechain will trigger the comp) and therefore the mix has a nice low end and is more even.

Trust me, I own one and do this every day. I do know what I'm talking about here. If you've got a better method go ahead and explain but please don't post something like that with no further explanation.
Old 25th December 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, I don't know what is wrong about either method. I prefer the idea of just high-passing the key input, but completely removing the kick and bass could work too, although again, just not how I'd approach it.
Old 25th December 2007
Both will work. The nice thing about the HPF is, is you can really dial in on the sweet spot. I personally would not opt to entirely remove the foot and bass. I like a little pump factor. But that's me.
Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

Exactly, you want the compressor to react to SOME of that low-end energy, but you just don't want it to be out of proportion.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search