The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Allen and Heath System 8 opinions
Old 27th October 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I bought one of these a few years back from the UK. I have the MK1 24:8:2.

I've tracked drums with the board, and mixed, though usually I trak with API Pre's into a Motu 2408, and use the board for mixing.

I had the issue with the VU meters - all were gone when I bought it.
I eventually realised that 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10, were gone and seemed to be wired together, and the other ones were wired together. So, I salvaged 5 bulbs, 5 were gone. I then wired in a number of orange LED's with resistors , and all 10 VU's are lit. In saying that, there's a clear difference between the LED and Bulb VU's - the bulbs look far far sexier !

In terms of sound of the board - I've been quite happy with it. I've no experience with high end boards so I've not got much to compare it with.

I've found the EQ fun to play with - though I've tended to stay away from it a bit as I was worried - using plugs for EQ - but the few times I have reached for it I've been happy with the results.

I've recently had the power supply re-capped, but then my soundcard died, so this weekend I've a session on and it's the first time with the new supply so I'm looking forward to seeing if I can hear anything.

Here's a pic of mine in the old place attached - new glamour pics are on the way soon once the new place is fully set up and lighting is completed ;-)

I've always wanted to mod this board, upgrade some of the opamps and chips - though the channels are not quite as modular as a TAC for example. They come out from underneath the board - and are all pretty stuck in there with the rails that cross all channels covering the access.
Maybe I'll find the time to do it soon.

Caig Deoxit Fader Lube is also the king - must have to keep those faders moving easy and well.

Al.
Attached Thumbnails
Allen and Heath System 8 opinions-desktop-4.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
People have been modding Sys 8s for years. If I remember they are mostly TLO72s, so it pretty amazing they sound as good as they do.

There are a lot options as to replasement chips,, bit a would caution to to keep an eye on the draw of whatever chips tou install. The PSU is kinda borderline. Of course there are ways around that as well. You gave a little more room to move on a 16, not so much in a 24.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I've had a few System 8's............
Great, underated desk, i've upgraded, but i still miss mine.
Gear Guru
LED's can be very effective bulb replacements if you use the right ones. Orange won't make it.

Today we have available white LED's. Those tend to have a blueish tint. Very modern looking. For the olde time bulb look, use incandescent colored white LED's from:
LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS

I sand them to difuse the light and they look just like bulbs.
Old 19th December 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➑️
For the olde time bulb look, use incandescent colored white LED's from:
LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS

I sand them to difuse the light and they look just like bulbs.
Wish I'd have known that before I installed Christmas lights in mine...
Old 15th November 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I recently purchased a system 8 and am having trouble with the signal flow (my signal flow knowledge is pretty minimal). Can someone help me out with an order of operations to get signal?

Thanks
Old 18th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Its a very easy board. It would help is you told me what you have hooked up and how you want to use it. Also if you have a patch bay or are planning on one. I think all system Eights have direct outs...Its the jack on the back of the meter bridge, but confirm that.

Basically the signal just flows down from the top. You select mic or line depending on what input is being used, xlr or quarter inch. There is a pad to attenuate hot signals. Next I believe comes theEQ, its a three band, slectable high and low with a sweepable mid.

Next are the Auzes....if memory serves me there are 4, two are prefader, generally usded for the headphones, and two post, for effects. They MIGHT be selectable, I don't remember.

Then there is a pan post, which pans between whichever outpouts are being used. and then the output switching, 8 busses assigned as 4 stereo pairs, or direct to the 2 buss.

If you send to a buss the signal now goes to the right side of the board where the faders control the output of the buss sending to ??

At this point I need to know more...... I would think i a trpical DAW setting you would be better off using the direct outs unless you need to multiple mics into a mono or stero group, like multiple guitar cab mics.

I would think a simple quarter inch bay with the direct outs nowmalled to the DAW inputs would make sense, and them have buss outs also available tobe patched. But I suspect you will use the busses less to avid the added circuitry.

Now....its impossible to suggest how to use the returns from the DAW without knowing your interface and how you want to work. If you are working ITB, just wire the main DAW stereo outs to the two track return in the maste section. Them you are basically done. The DAW will show at the master fader.

If you wand to mix in the desk...give me your gear and I will suggest.
Old 10th November 2015
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hi!

I also own a System 8 24ch desk, mk3 i guess.
Looking for furniture to put it into, nice studio desk.

Any pics or recommendations, what works for little money and good results?
Thank you!
Old 3rd December 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hey, I've come across a System 8 MK1.

Currently has no PSU. Can anyone recommend where I could possibly source?

Also, has some crackly pots (I am assuming some Cramolin may fix this).

Finally, I would like to get it serviced. Any suggestions for London/South East of England?

Thanks!
Old 13th July 2017
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Just picked up one of these super cheap, no power supply...but worth the risk given the price I got it for.
On the hunt to rent/borrow a PSU temporarily to see if it powers up, if so do a quick session before biting the bullet and buying a PSU.
Blue Dog Power Supplies here in the UK seem to be safe bet.

Anyone know where I could find the technical spec of what PSU I may need?
They chap reckoned a Sound Craft Spirit desk power had been doing the trick previously but I am apprehensive and dont even know what model Spirit to look for. Any tips?

Or anyone got a one of these desks running in London I could borrow their PSU for for a little fee?
Old 30th May 2018
Here for the gear

Hi everyone. I've got Allen & Heath system 8 mixer but can't find the power supply. Can someone help me get one please. Have searched almost everywhere but can't find it. Please someone help me
Old 30th May 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass ➑️
Hi everyone. I've got Allen & Heath system 8 mixer but can't find the power supply. Can someone help me get one please. Have searched almost everywhere but can't find it. Please someone help me
Buy a blue dog on ebay
Old 18th December 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffmo ➑️
There was a 32 channel of the System 8 in the Mark 3 series. I had one for a while when I worked for Allen and Heath. I forget the price, although 6kish sounds right when they were new. As you probably have already seen they are modular internally, so they are easy to work on. Much more robust than the Mackies et al that followed, which were probably quieter but with less kick. I made lots of records on it in my first home studio....a System 8 and a JH16 MCI.

Its also a pretty easy board to mod. There are lots of outdated TLO72s that can be replaced with better BUT the power supply is pretty marginal so make sure you are aware of what the draw is on the updated chips. To be honest, if you REALLY want to make what you are doing work a better power supply is in order.

That being said, I think its a great board to experimant on and there is a lot of room to improve it if you get into it. Just be aware of the PSU issue before you get too far in.

By the way there is one in my kitchen that my roomate was restoring but seems to lost interest in. If you are interested I will find out what the status of it is and what he wants for it in its current state.

I'd love to get it out of the kitchen....lol.
Hey Steffmo,
I just got an AHB Syem 8 Mkiii 16/8 for free but it doesn't have a power supply. I can potentially see myself modding this in the future so I'm wondering what power supply you would recommend to buy? I know currently it should be 15 voltz according to the back of the board.
Old 14th August 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikodon ➑️
Hey Steffmo,
I just got an AHB Syem 8 Mkiii 16/8 for free but it doesn't have a power supply. I can potentially see myself modding this in the future so I'm wondering what power supply you would recommend to buy? I know currently it should be 15 voltz according to the back of the board.

http://www.studiosystems.co.uk/technical_help/
These guys are very helpful ^
πŸ“ Reply