The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kurtzweil Rumour Vs Apogee Conversion
Old 22nd December 2007
Lives for gear

Kurtzweil Rumour Vs Apogee Conversion

I wonder how these units compare. I mean, I know the rumour only has 48khz but I heard it is incredible and beats out RME. Is it as high as the Apogee? or far below?
Old 22nd December 2007
Lives for gear

Your title is confusing; you are comparing a Rumour to Apogee and then mentioning RME. I'm assuming you mean RME VS Apogee. So I'll go with that premise.

First the RME FF800 is a fine converter and can be had used for a grand. In the Sub 1500.00 range, IMHO it is the best out there for 8 I/O. I've owned one and loved it. I've also owned and Apogee Rosetta 200 after it. The Rosetta was better, considerably to me. You will find others that disagree. Is it worth the extra grand, probably not unless you plan to use something like Symphony. The best bang for the buck is the Lynx Aurora's. Again, IMHO. I've got a used Rosetta 800 on the way and plan to go with Symphony. I used an Aurora 8, and then an Aurora 16 with my HD rig and they are stellar.

My Ranking of Converters I’ve owned in order worst to best:

Digi 002 Rack
Motu 828MKII
Presonus Firepod
Digi 003 Rack
RME FF800
Apogee Rosetta
Lynx Aurora
Old 22nd December 2007
Lives for gear

I just re-read your post and I missed your point, but I'm gonna keep my post in their for sake of discussion, even if it is off topic.

I am assuming you mean would it be better to go digital SPDIF out of your Rumour (Reverb) back to your DAW vice going analog out of the Rumour via Analog In on an Apogee Converter returning to your DAW?

If that's the case, I'd say try it. I had the Rumour, I had it connected analog out into my Lynx Aurora Analog in when I used it in Protools HD. Worked fine for me. Although I liked Revibe better.
Old 22nd December 2007
Lives for gear

Umm...I've used a Rumour at 44.1 for years.
Old 22nd December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackdude View Post
I wonder how these units compare. I mean, I know the rumour only has 48khz but I heard it is incredible and beats out RME. Is it as high as the Apogee? or far below?
Rumour's conversion is nice, but not as good as the current Apogee conversion for sure.
Great reverb unit though.

Besides Rumour doesn't offer true stereo conversion.
Each of the channels outputs gets a certain amount of signal from the other channel's input - I'd say ±5%, or less - you could call it cross-talk, but I look at it as "something to avoid the unit being more expensive".
That happens whatever the settings...
Someday I should start a thread about this issue actually, cause I think most people don't know this. I can't remeber of anyone mentioning it.
You Rumour users, get your hands dirty and check for yourselves.

Old 22nd December 2007
Lives for gear

How would I do that?

Put a solid synth C through one...E through the other...? Record to two channels and see if I hear any harmony in either channel?

I've had two disperate signals--like two different electric guitars panned hard left and right...never noticed any "bleed".

Now, if you pull one of the input channel cables, it will duplicate one channel over both digital (which they do to auto switch between true stereo reverb and mono>St reverb)
Old 22nd December 2007
Lives for gear

The Rumour's A/D sounded "cloudy & dark" when A/B'd against an RME ADi-8 and an Apogee Mini Me in my studio (7506's & Dyn BM5as). On a budget it works though.
Old 22nd December 2007
Lives for gear

I'm trying to see if its really worth getting or if it just gets blown away. Would it get killed by a mytek or MOTU? And popman, can you expand on your thoughts about it because you seem to think it would work. How many tracks can it get up pretty decent? Do you think it gets bright too?
Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
How would I do that?

Put a solid synth C through one...E through the other...? Record to two channels and see if I hear any harmony in either channel?
Doing the test with diferent notes of the same instrument is not the ideal thing, as each note contains overtones that may (and most likely will) include the other note that you're playing on the other channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
I've had two disperate signals--like two different electric guitars panned hard left and right...never noticed any "bleed".
There's no bleed at all if you use TRS connections, which happily is what's used most of the time.
But if you use TS you'll notice it.
It's certainly the missing "R" (the Ring) that's fukking it all up - we do come across the same "problem" in other scenarios, only in this case the unit is supposed to accept both balanced and unbalanced inputs/plugs.

In my opinion, it's absolutelly fine for those who record at home, or even at a semi-pro level. But I'd be careful if I were to do professional recordings. It's our job to avoid this sort of stuff, right?

My advice is that if someone buys or uses the unit for recording, it's better not to use unbalanced connectors, even if the output source that goes into the Rumour is unbalanced, as the problem is the connector itself, not the signal.

As for using it as an effects unit, it's totally fine in my book, even with unbalanced connectors... although it's good to bear that in mind, cause it may me undesireble ocasionally.

Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

I'm using mine as a D/A converter for a pair of Reamp boxes. I actually prefer it to my Benchmark DAC-1 for that purpose (I bought the DAC-1 for that purpose). It has a hotter output (i'm using TRS) and for driving effects pedals and tube amps (via the passive transformers) I haven't had any complaints.

I wouldn't like to use it as my main audio interface, but it's a useful reverb and the converters are better than many others.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search