The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AD/DA conversion w/ Firewire as interface into DAW?
Old 20th December 2007
Here for the gear

AD/DA conversion w/ Firewire as interface into DAW?

I’m trying to get a better understanding so I can upgrade my recording rig interface. (Current Recording Rig: G4 PowerBook, Cubase SL3, FireBox) I want to upgrade both the number of inputs and the AD/DA, I’m looking for at least 8 more likely 16 inputs so I can track drums and potentially a whole band (if nothing else for scratch tracks) I want to leave myself with some versatility so I have the ability to run mic pres straight in or hook it up to a mixing board for live or just OTB mixing and routing situations (FX, compression etc..)

Anyway, I know I could just get a Fireface 800 or Ensemble etc… for 8 line ins and add a DigiMax96k for another 8 adat ins interfaced through firewire into the computer. (I’m not comparing quality of gear just trying to grasp the signal flow logistics) Now if I wanted to concentrate more on the AD/DA side of things would I be able to get something like the Rosetta 800 (8 in) or Lynx Aurora 16 (16 in) with the Firewire expansion cards (again not comparing gear) and run it into my Laptop? (Mic  Preamp  AD/DA converter w/ firewire  Computer (DAW) )

Here's a link for reference for what I'm looking at: http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/rosetta800.php
and the Firewire card: http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/xcards.php#firewire

This would essentially be my interface into the computer then, if I understand correctly? Would the firewire also be the output from the computer (DAW) to the DA converter to my monitors? I’m focusing more on the firewire side at the moment cause of the laptop but I could also down the road when I get a desktop for recording get a PCI card (adat, aes inputs etc..) for getting the audio into the DAW from the AD/DA converter.

Am I understanding this right? Or is the AD/DA w/ firewire “interface” more complicated than its worth?

Thanx
Old 20th December 2007
Lives for gear

It's as simple as that.

Stick the fire wire cable into the interface, and stick the other end in your computer.

If you have two interfaces you can daisychain them with firewire, or run an optical cable from the ADAT out of one in to the one ADAT in of another - this way you'd only need one firewire capable interface.

Make sure Cubase can support multiple devices concurrently. If it doesn't, use the second option above.
Old 20th December 2007
Lives for gear

Its not complicated in the least. I use a FW interface exclusively, with an ADAT attached extension. This is for AD and DA. Monitoring is done vis the DA, vi firewire.

I use a Tascam FW-1884. So, the firewire does ADDA and control surface. This is an amazing interface, BTW! It also has 2 fader packs attached that are also firewire AND I have an SSL Duende that attaches and processes via firewire. All run flawlessly and are no more complicated...in fact less complicated than PCI, IMO.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search