The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Never ending eq´s.......
Old 24th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Never ending eq´s.......

Which one of all the Pultecs copies that are out there do ya´ll like best?

EAR
Manley
Summit
TubeTech
Plus a hundred more that I forgot.....

I love the Summit EQP-200.
I´m just curious about the difference in sound between them all.....

/Mixmaster Santa
Attached Thumbnails
Never ending eq´s.......-eqp200b-bg.gif  
Old 24th November 2002
Lives for gear

I have the Summit (pictured) as well as 2 Tube Techs. They are both great. The TT seems to be a bit fatter and smoother . . . . but that doesn't make it better or right for everything. Many situations call for the Summit.
Old 24th November 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Massive Passive

Not really a pultec copy, though. It lives in its own realm.

I don't have any of the others you mentioned but have heard them, except for the EAR.
Old 24th November 2002
Lives for gear

The tube tech is my favorite. The thing I like about it is that it's much lower noise that the original Pultec blues, so I can use them more on upper ranged instruments ass opposed to Bass and Kick which I use all the time. It also has a cooler pahse shift thing going on but still doesn't lose the beef you get from the old blues.

The Manley is worthless. Plug in emulation is way better. Scary, eh? Plus Manley's business practices, reputation for horrid gear service and what seems to be a bunch of half truths at best make it all the more reason to avoid.

I'm suprised you like the Summit so much. I tried them when they 1st came out, and I thought they were okay, but not jaw dropping. I guess I'll retry it later this week. Note: I've heard people say that these units sound different since Dave Hill left the company. I don't know how much truth there is to this, but out of curiousity, when did you get yours 2"?
Old 24th November 2002
I have the Tube-Tech's

But I like / want the EAR units

(BTW Flertcher has interesting insight into this topic..)

I dont know the Manley pultec clones (but I do dig the Massive Passive)

I want an EAR compressor too!

right now I have a 1073 set up after a DBX160vu on kick drum in a mix I am setting up, this post has made me think to audition the Tube-Tech instead of the Neve when I start today (the Tube-Tech WAS my origional instinct BTW) - thanks!

Old 24th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Jules,

I can only speak for the Summit Pultec. It´s a killer on the BD, I guess the TubeTech is equall. I´ve only compared the Summit on BD against the Vintech X73, the Pultec sound kicks some serious ass!!
I do prefer to use the Pultecs on a drum/mix/gtr bus.
Old 24th November 2002
Lives for gear

I like the Gyraf Pultec copy..

The DIY-Project, you know..

But then again, I may be biased..

:-)

Jakob Erland
Gyraf Audio
Old 24th November 2002
Lives for gear

Gyraf,

Could you supply a link for the project again?
Old 24th November 2002
Old 25th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
I'm suprised you like the Summit so much. I tried them when they 1st came out, and I thought they were okay, but not jaw dropping. I guess I'll retry it later this week. Note: I've heard people say that these units sound different since Dave Hill left the company. I don't know how much truth there is to this, but out of curiousity, when did you get yours 2"? [/B]
I don't know if you are asking me or someone else . . .but I have had my Summit 16 years or so. Dave Hill was there when I bought mine . . . as a matter of fact . . . .I think he was one of the ONLY people working at Summit at the time I bought mine *smile*

I spoke to him a couple of times regarding a mod for me when I first got them. I wanted them to be more like a Pultec then they were / are, or even a Tube Tech . . . he said there was a mod he could do to make them that way.

I didn't do it and began to appreciate the Summit for what it did . . . not to make it more like a Tube Tech. The TT is my first 'go to" eq though over the Summit 90% of the time if I am looking for tube eq. Unless it is background vocals, strings etc.
Old 25th November 2002
Re: Never ending eq´s.......

Quote:
Originally posted by Neve Sucks!
Which one of all the Pultecs copies that are out there do ya´ll like best?

EAR
Manley
Summit
TubeTech
Plus a hundred more that I forgot.....

I love the Summit EQP-200.
I´m just curious about the difference in sound between them all.....

/Mixmaster Santa
They all suck at being "Pultec like", except for maybe the EAR and Marquette Audio(and maybe the Fairman). None has that thing that the Pultec gives you. I thought the TT was one of the most over hyped pieces(i got rid of mine years ago and I had all 3). The Summit is ok on somethings, but nothing to right home about. The Manley is excellent on kick and snare(but that's about it). Another darkhorse is the DW FEARN EQ. I've never used it but i know Fletcher has. I know he likes them.

Again boys, just like there is only one Neve(sorry clone guys), there will only be one Pultec. If you want the sound you gonna have to pony up.
Old 21st December 2002
Lives for gear

How does the Bombfactory Pultec plug-in compare to these hardware units?

Thanks
Old 21st December 2002
IMHO the Bomb Factory came ouit at ta time where every other plug in around (appart from the the VST TLA EQ1 plug in), had a greasy, veiled, bogus lack of real sharpness or 'cut' to it and tended to ruin the integrity of anything with HF boost on it..

The Bomb Factory actually has some good 'cut' to it and that makes it stand above the crowd.

So does the Sony but with many more bands (5)

I am not talking about HF 'sweetness' I am talking about, - "let me hear some REAL HF boost dammit!"

I didnt really explore the bass end of the plug in...

📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear