The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mesa Single Rectifier makes a weird noise with the gain?
Old 19th December 2007
Lives for gear

Mesa Single Rectifier makes a weird noise with the gain?

My mesa single rectifier has a strange almost a hiss kind of noise with the gain. I have to use Amplitube 2 and add some gain with that to get rid of it. Is there a reason for that? or is that just how mesa's gain is? I know there is nothing wrong with the head or amp or cables...it's just the gain's own colored sound I believe...Does anyone have any good techniques for recording mesa's or have any input?
Old 19th December 2007
Lives for gear

I have lots of experience with Mesa Single Rec

I found the key was not to stray too far from neutral positions; i.e. 11-1 o'clock on eq, up to 2 o'clock on gain. Sucking or boostring more than that sounds awful.

Mods done by Voodoo supposedly eliminate this problem and open up the controls to have more usable sounds on aggressive cuts & boosts.

However, if you're not going past 2 or 3 o'clock and there's bad sounds coming out, you may have other issues (tubes?)

good luck
-Ray
Old 9th March 2008
Here for the gear

Mesa Single rec

I have a single rectifier that used to work fine, now if I turn the volume up past about 1/4 of the way it starts making a screeching noise, and if i take it even past that point it starts making these really loud thumping noises. I took all the tubes out and cleaned them up a little bit, but it had no effect. Any ideas on how to cure this problem?
Old 9th March 2008
Lives for gear

This is not to answer your question, but..

... I don't like Rectifier at all. If I need to record a Mesa then give me Mark IV instead. I was surprised yesterday where cheap MXL2001 won a shootout against Fathead, AT4047, AT4050, MD421, SM7 and SM57 for capturing nice clean sound with a Stratocaster.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search