The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My Focal twin 6's Studio Monitors
Old 18th December 2007
Gear maniac

My Focal twin 6's

I finally got to use my pair of Twin 6's this week. All I can say is holy s**t. These are amazing speakers. I have been using Adam S2a's and loving them for the past 5 years. But it was time for a change after hearing how my mixes were not translating.

Obviously gearslutz played a huge role in my auditioning process as did Gil at Wave Distribution. Ubk's post a little while back sealed the deal and I got them within a month. I am actually sitting here listening to Steve Remotes' recording and mix of Another Kind of Blue recorded live at the Blue Note. I have extensively heard this mix on my Adam's, but on the Focal's, the clarity, separation and sheer microscopic aural detail of these speakers is amazing.

At all volume levels I can hear every nuance. Each instrument seems encapsulated in its own space, virtually undistorted. Reverb tails, string noise and the sound of pumping compression take on a life of their own. I almost feel like I can discern every piece of gear in the signal path. When I switch to the Adam's, the mix seems to collapse inward and it actually sounds "mixed" particularly in the midrange, although still sounding pretty.

I can only imagine what it will be like to mix on the Focal's. Its like each instrument is laid out ready to be worked on, while simultaneously retaining its context within the mix. I finally feel I can get the results I have been working so hard for in the past.

I'll post more when I mix on these within the next month.
If anybody in the New York area is interested in hearing them, give me a shout.
Old 18th December 2007
Deleted User
WOW, going from the famed ADAMS to FOCAL, OMG what will the ADAM's faithful say about this? Im looking at the Focals myself. Get your flame suit on LOL Congrats to ya Larry
Old 19th December 2007
Lives for gear

I'm digging my Focal 5.1 set-up every day. I had borrowed a 5.1 ADAM rig before I got the Focal speakers. The difference was not subtle. You can hear instruments in the tracks more clearly, especially in surround mixes. I love the Focal Be tweeter. The ADAM was just too harsh/strident for my taste. These things are actually a pleasure to listen to even after 8 hours!

Regards,
Bruce
Old 19th December 2007
Yup, the Focal Twins are definitely where it's at. Everything translates beautifully and the dimension in which the sound comes forward is gigantic and accurate.
Old 19th December 2007
congrats Larry you will love them more as you use them . When are you going to pick up that gobo?
Old 19th December 2007
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
Yup, the Focal Twins are definitely where it's at. Everything translates beautifully and the dimension in which the sound comes forward is gigantic and accurate.
Until something else comes along.

Great monitors are great monitors forever. It is our ears and brains that change.
Old 19th December 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC View Post
Until something else comes along.

Great monitors are great monitors forever. It is our ears and brains that change.
Evolution changes everything.
Old 19th December 2007
Hi Larry...

Sheesh, it only took you a year to make this decision? Better late than never, I guess! ;-)

Glad you're loving them.

-gil
Old 19th December 2007
TSM
Gear Addict

When I had my Mackie 824's, I had to put the mix through NS10's , Car stereo, even the TV to get a mix that translated well. I used to tweak the mix for ages.

Now with my Focal Twin's I don't bother, they always translate in to the real worldthumbsup

Money well spent I think
Old 19th December 2007
Gear Addict

I need a new pair of monitors (right now I'm using Yamaha msp5's), and the twins are getting great reviews. My question is: would these be too large for my mixing room (10 ftx 14ft x 8.5 ft ceiling) ?. I am in the process of bass traping the room and treating. If they are too big I am looking at the solo's. Thanks for any feedback.

Justin
Old 19th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-madd View Post
If they are too big I am looking at the solo's. Thanks for any feedback.
Justin
You wouldn't go wrong with either. My guess would be that the Twins would need to stand vertically for best results. My control room is about 10ft. across the front where the Twins are, but the corners are triangulated. The width of the room is 14ft. The plus is that you wouldn't need a sub!thumbsup

Regards,
Bruce
Old 20th December 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks Bruce. I am kinda leaning toward the solo's. I was under the impression that the twins needed to sit horizontally, and was afraid they would be too close to a wall like that.

Justin

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search