The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I need a good set of cans. Need some advice. Studio Headphones
Old 18th December 2007
Gear Maniac

I need a good set of cans. Need some advice.

So I'm in the market for a new set of headphones.
That gotta be GREAT!
Mainly for mixing and editing. I just moved into a small apartment.

Here are the ones I'm considering:
Sennheiser HD650
Ultrasone Proline Closedback 750
A/T ATH-AD1000
AKG K701

I'd like to hear from people who have used any of these or own a pair.
Thanks.
Old 18th December 2007
Gear Addict

hands down winner 4 me: Sony MDR-7509
Old 18th December 2007
Lives for gear

Try ultra phones. Sonys with xtra soundproofing.Gk-music.com
My engineer says they are great for tracking.No bleed.
Old 18th December 2007
Gear Addict

7509 +1
Old 18th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygomez View Post
7509 +1
and another.
Old 18th December 2007
Here for the gear

7509's have a pretty bright high end, I wouldn't recommend them for mixing purposes. Actually, I wouldn't recommend any headphones for mixing, only to double check a mix or to check for flaws in the mix(clicks, pops, phase problems, etc.)
Old 18th December 2007
SRS
Lives for gear

+1 for 7509
Old 18th December 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrman100 View Post
7509's have a pretty bright high end, I wouldn't recommend them for mixing purposes. Actually, I wouldn't recommend any headphones for mixing, only to double check a mix or to check for flaws in the mix(clicks, pops, phase problems, etc.)
Thanks gtrman, but I don't really need a lesson here. I'm not solely relying on headphones. But I do need something that can get me in the ballpark. I go to a studio (here in Salt Lake City) with a perfectly tuned room for mix down and it doesn't take me as long. I can save money and get things just the way I like them. That being said, what headphones are cool for this?

That's what I thought when i tried out a pair of 7509's. Plus I don't think they are built very well. They feel cheap and I didn't think they were all that honest in sound. HD280's were better for mixing on for me, instead of the 7509.

Anyone ever tried the Ultrasones?
Old 18th December 2007
Old 18th December 2007
SRS
Lives for gear

I use the Senn 280's (HD 280 Pro) for tracking drums. The isolation is perfect for this. I do not like them for any mix checking though. They have this unusual midrange bump that would certainly throw off mixes in my opinion. I have had several pair of Sony MDR-7506 and 7509 phones through the years and they are built like a tank actually.

I would shy away from mixing on 280's though. My 2 cents. But I'm not a mixer, I am a drummer who just happens to mix often. I just use the phones to check certain things and rely on the mains for 95+% of the rest. I understand your predicament though. Good luck!
Old 18th December 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
I use the Senn 280's (HD 280 Pro) for tracking drums. The isolation is perfect for this. I do not like them for any mix checking though.
Me too.. That's why I need a new pair. Plus I'm moving into a new smaller apartment with my girlfriend. I don't want to keep her up at night while I work. Thanks though.
Old 18th December 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by surflounge View Post
Grado RS1
RS1
Hmmm... do you own a pair? From the looks of it they seem pretty sheik!
Old 18th December 2007
Lives for gear

I'm so used to my old 7506's.

What's the difference between these and the 7509's?
Old 18th December 2007
Lives for gear

The new audio technica ath/m50's are pretty FANTASTIC for only $140-ish. They handle a LOT of low end and are all harsh in the top like the dreaded 7506's :-) Kinda like senn 280's with way more low end capacity
Old 18th December 2007
Lives for gear

Personally, I like my Grado sr325s. The open can sennheisers are the only ones I've heard that really compare, and choosing between them is more a matter of taste than saying one is better than the other.
Old 18th December 2007
Lives for gear

Used the 280's for a few years.

Switched to Ultrasone 650........so much better. Excellent stereo field....no mid-range bump.

I'm forced to use the phones quite a lot while tracking AND mixing and the Ultrasones work for me.

I keep the 280's by the computer to listen to all the excellent gearslutz material.
Old 18th December 2007
Gear Maniac

I quite like the Sennheiser HD650, very flat response. To get the best of them you'll need a headphone amp though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search