The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RADAR, Cubase SX and MTC problems
Old 22nd November 2002
Lives for gear

RADAR, Cubase SX and MTC problems

I can't get Cubase SX to sync to the Midi Time Code from the RADAR (via a Midex 8 interface). If I run the RADAR from the start of the song, it all hooks up fine, bu if I try to start playback from any other point in the song, the computer lags behind. Any ideas?
Old 24th November 2002
Here for the gear

Hi, I'm having a similar problem as you are. I have a Radar 24, running MTC out to the Motu MTPAV, and into a Mac G4 trying to sync up to Cubase 4.0. I just bought an upgrade to Cubase 5, as I thought it was a problem with that particular cubase version. However, my situation is even worse, as I can't even get it to run in sync for more than 10 sec. anywhere, plus it skips alot. Maybe it's a Cubase thing?

I don't know if the Midex has a master sync function, but I can actually get the two to sync perfectly using the MTPAV's sync controller. But that's a really stupid way to go about it, because I've got the bigass session controller sitting there doing nothing~! any help for both of us would definitely be appreciated! madd grudge evileye
Old 24th November 2002
Lives for gear

Check the midi sync reference in the Options-->audio setup--->system in cubase . If it's audio clock, turn it to miditimecode unless your audio in cubase is referenced (clocked) to the audio in the radar . This setting is active even if you don't use audio in cubase so be sure to check it . a lot of people don't check it because it's in the audio window . Hope it helps .
Old 24th November 2002
Lives for gear

OK, I've made some progress here!! I can get Cubase SX to sync to the RADAR's MTC (and it is EXTREMELY tight in the process), but the problem is that Cubase SX keeps slipping back to 44.1k - or at least, it keeps claiming the clock has changed to 44.1K, even though all the soundcard and project settings still read 48k.

I noticed that the time counter on Cubase was running significantly faster than the Radar - about six seconds faster in every minute - and that's why it would sync from the start of the song, but if I tried to start Radar at any point DURING the song, the timecode was now different for each machine.

The problem is, even when I have set the Radar, Cubase AND the Motus to run at 48k, as soon as I change any of the MOTU settings within Cubase, the program decides it is running at 44.1 - even if I'm just activating inputs or outputs on the VST pop-ups.

At the moment I have two workable solutions: either work at 44.1k 24-bit all the time (!), or set the RADAR at 44.1k at the start of the new project, make all my settings on Cubase SX at 44.1, activate all the inputs and outputs from the start, and finally switch the RADAR to 48k. This then brings up the message on Cubase that the code has been changed to 48k, and it allows you to then alter all the settings on Cubase for the project and the MOTUs. I did this yesterday, and it remained rock solid all day, but it's hardly ideal. Does anyone have any idea why Cubase seems so determined to revert to 44.1k all the time?

And dspstudio, I know what you mean about the Session Controller - one of the most intuitive, ergonomic interfaces I have ever used, and I was advised to slave my Radar to Cubase! Well, bugger that, frankly.
Old 24th November 2002
Sometimes there is nothing for it but to sit there and toggle on and off clock settings & sample rates, reboot connect & disconnect digital cables etc like a moron - untill the CLOCK SETTLES DOWN AND RE-SETS PROPERLY.

Try some illogical clock 'wake up' strategies - change the order in which you power the units on..

I spent half an hour yesterday doing & then re doing the connnections between my Z-sy router / Hedd / Masterlink untill it decided to work at 96k.

Digital vooodoo!

📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear