The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Jeff Buckley Grace video ... what mic. is he using?
Old 14th December 2007
Gear Maniac

Jeff Buckley Grace video ... what mic. is he using?

YouTube - Jeff Buckley-Grace

there are 2 microphones ... one in the studio and another where he's playing with the band ... what is the mic he's using with the band? is it a Heil? thx.
Old 14th December 2007

AKG solidtube?

EDIT - Hmmm maybe not after all... The JB mic looks fatter and squatter - U47?
Attached Images
Jeff Buckley Grace video ... what mic. is he using?-images.jpg 
Old 14th December 2007
Lives for gear

jb rules! i dont think heil was around then.
Old 14th December 2007

Note the offset position of the XLR connectorJeff Buckley Grace video ... what mic. is he using?-u47.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Jeff Buckley Grace video ... what mic. is he using?-u47fet_grau.jpg  
Old 14th December 2007
Gear Addict

theres also nother mic with schockmount u87?...

I think I even see a third in that darker shot with shockmount but hanging upside down
Old 14th December 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygomez View Post
theres also nother mic with schockmount u87?...

I think I even see a third in that darker shot with shockmount but hanging upside down

Either an 87 or a 67. They both have the same body. Bound to be one of them since there weren't nearly as many "knock off" mics 15 years ago.

Steve
Old 14th December 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by primalsteve View Post
Either an 87 or a 67. They both have the same body.
I think it's a U87, you can bearly see in some shoots that it has a XLR cable connected.
Old 14th December 2007
Looks like a FET 47 and a U87 to me.
Ben
Old 14th December 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
Yeah, it's a 47 FET. Why do you ask?
Old 14th December 2007
Gear Maniac

no reason in particular I just love JB and the mic. caught my eyes ... I thought he was using some kind of a dynamic since he was playing with the band in a 'live' situation

I thought it was a heil pr30 or 40 but I realise now those weren't around at his time ... are those good vocal mics anyways?!
Old 14th December 2007
Lives for gear

i know he used a u87 for grace.
could have used tin cans and monster cable as far as i'm concerned.

can we retroactively give Andy Wallace a grammy for that record or what?! you'll also note in the video that he goes from long hair to short hair, which is somewhat of a big no no in video's and must have driven the folks at columbia crazy.

lastly, everytime i get down about the financial aspect of owning my own studio, and trying to shill my records i try to bear in mind that jeff died in debt to the record company.
Old 15th December 2007
Gear Maniac

Yes Grace is an amazing sounding record as well as Sketches CD1.
So the vocals have been recorded separately? I imagine the band recorded 'live'? any idea? ... the performaces are so organic and tight I always imagined the vocals were recorded live as well!
Old 15th December 2007
Lives for gear

Umm, I'm pretty sure the video wasn't shot at the actual tracking session. Those mics are props, nothing more.

And Jeff could have sung into a tin can with a string on it and it would have still sounded incredible.
Old 15th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
Umm, I'm pretty sure the video wasn't shot at the actual tracking session. Those mics are props, nothing more.

And Jeff could have sung into a tin can with a string on it and it would have still sounded incredible.
Word. In the video though I looks like an FET 47 and an 87.
Old 15th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokushoka View Post
Word. In the video though I looks like an FET 47 and an 87.
I'll bet at the time those mics were sitting in some prop house's locker, nobody wanted that old crap in those days.
Old 15th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
I'll bet at the time those mics were sitting in some prop house's locker, nobody wanted that old crap in those days.
Exactly. That video is not that old but even back then no one really gave a ****. What's crazy if you watch Alphaville there is a scene where there are U47s and a U67 being flung around the set as props. Killed me to watch it thinking about how much money I could make selling those now...

I also saw an "on the set" photo once for what was either "Vivre sa vie" or "Breathless" where Karina was sitting at a table and there is a U47 literally duct taped to the table for the dialog... I bet if you do an image search you could find it.

Old 15th December 2007
Lives for gear

Don't get me started on how many old RCA ribbons I've seen, mint, at photography studios.
Old 15th December 2007
Gear Addict

Since we're on the topic. I remember seeing this way back in 95 on much music. Totally blew me away!!

http://www.youtube.com/v/Jap897zERTw&rel=1
Old 15th December 2007
Lives for gear

Jeff Buckley was such a talented human being, I miss him.

I'm glad that we have Grace...
Old 15th December 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
Jeff Buckley was such a talented human being, I miss him.

I'm glad that we have Grace...
Yep. One of the only artists of the past 25 years to actually transport me somewhere else every time I listen to him.
Old 19th December 2007
Lives for gear

i dont understand how so many people dont know about him... any how some people dont like him! from the time i saw the bbc documentary on i was hooked. amazing voice.
Old 19th December 2007
Lives for gear

Another gush over Jeff Buckley thread which I love....im pretty sure he could have sung into a tin can as well and sounded better then 99.9% of the trash out there today. Unfortunately all good things come to an end...at least well always have Grace.
Old 19th December 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
Not to mention the Live at Sin-e album, as well as some great moments on "My Sweetheart the Drunk"...
Old 19th December 2007
Lives for gear

Word to that...the Full Sin-e album is excellent...even the parts where hes just talking are great...worth picking up!
Old 19th December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscure object View Post
no reason in particular I just love JB and the mic. caught my eyes ... I thought he was using some kind of a dynamic since he was playing with the band in a 'live' situation

I thought it was a heil pr30 or 40 but I realise now those weren't around at his time ... are those good vocal mics anyways?!
It's a video. What you see has no connection to the reality of what he used.
Old 9th November 2010
Here for the gear

Milab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_bunny View Post
i know he used a u87 for grace.
Are you sure about this? A seemingly well informed source tells me Jeff used a Milab VIP-50 for Grace - a fact that would make me happy of course.

Edit: A couple of Google searches later: It seems he used U87:s for the guitar amp and the VIP-50 for vocals. All according to Bryant W. Jackson who was actually there (at Soundtrack NY).

Last edited by Mattias_Milab; 9th November 2010 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: GIYF
Old 9th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias_Milab View Post
Are you sure about this? A seemingly well informed source tells me Jeff used a Milab VIP-50 for Grace - a fact that would make me happy of course.

Edit: A couple of Google searches later: It seems he used U87:s for the guitar amp and the VIP-50 for vocals. All according to Bryant W. Jackson who was actually there (at Soundtrack NY).

www.jeffbuckley.com

Quote:
Grace Notes:

Jeff Buckley plays a Gibson L1, a borrowed Fender Telecaster and a Rickenbacker 12-string. He's using a Fender vibro-verb amp and, today, D'Addario strings. He just bought an old steel dobro and a Bina harmonium from Pakistan. Buckley uses Jim Dunlop slides. After experimenting with several microphones for Jeff's vocals, producer Andy Wallace settled on a Neumann U-87. Mick Grondahl plays a Fender Jazz bass through an Ampeg bass amp. Matt Johnson plays Slingerland drums and Zildjian cymbals.
©1994 by Musician Magazine. All rights reserved.
I suspect that you may have been misinformed. Sorry...
Old 9th November 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media View Post
I suspect that you may have been misinformed. Sorry...
Thanks for the info. I don't want to tell people that Jeff used a Milab unless I'm sure. Still, this is what Bryant W. Jackson (who was an assistant engineer for the Soundtrack sessions) writes - he seems to remember the details quite clearly:

Quote:
The Tele was used for basics afaik, if something else was in the studio (Bearsville), he would've picked it up, heh. During overdubs, in the studio, the guitars present were:

The Tele..he hardly ever picked it up (imo it was a bitch to play)
Les Paul 1960 Classic
Les Paul Ace Frehley signature (he used this alot)
Gibson Semi-Hollowbody, wine red most likely an ES-175...he used this alot with Hali...
Various other Gibsons came thru for a day or two...revolving door..
Precision Bass

Amps: Vibroverb, rented from S.I.R. his didn't record well.
Marshall JCM and 4x12, rented. used in various places, mostly solos that never made it, and he played some fine ones on Lover....also the overdriven bass part on Eternal...that was Jeff...he was a trip...he told Andy, I have an idea...went in, turned it up and just went nuts...he was jumping around, it was almost comical, I think you can hear 'that' in the part....anyway.

No pedals....he was VERY attached to his quadraverb, mostly to a reverb setting he called JeffMahal....he'd modified the Taj Mahal patch...to be even longer..

Mic on vox was a Milab VIP 50...tracked without headphones, thru the studio monitors...
Could it be they used a U87 at Bearsville and a VIP-50 at Soundtrack?
Old 17th November 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias_Milab View Post
Thanks for the info. I don't want to tell people that Jeff used a Milab unless I'm sure. Still, this is what Bryant W. Jackson (who was an assistant engineer for the Soundtrack sessions) writes - he seems to remember the details quite clearly:

Could it be they used a U87 at Bearsville and a VIP-50 at Soundtrack?
thumbsup

These OD sessions at soundtrack were done on an API Legacy mostly, some work was done on a Neve VR. Studer 827's, except Andy needed to punch the whole drum kit for about 8 bars (matched the room(s) sound with the lex 480, heh)...it was dumped to 3348 for this move then, 'punched' back into the studer. Hali and Cristi were (as all of his 'cabaret' takes) direct to...ahem....ADAT...yes.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search