The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Name the CDs you use for sonic reference
Old 25th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Weezer : Buddy Holly (If my mix sounds like this, I'm overcompressing)

ROTFL for some reason, this made me very happy

Ref cds/songs..

Lyle Lovett " Joshua Judges Ruth"

Rolling Stones " Voodoo Lounge" - I can't get over the dum sounds and the goove on this record, maybe it is just me, but I am all shack wacky over it...

Johnny Cash " American Recordings" - any of the 4 records

Buckcherry - Lit up

Lauyrn Hill - New Jeruasalem

Celine Dion - anything - I use this is the client wants to hear more reverb. I play them a track of hers and then say, " there, is that enough?" and go back to mixing

Norah Jones

Jane Siberry - When I was a boy - Everybody needs to hear this record.
Old 25th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by no ssl yet
Hey e-cue, Do you know Colin England?? I believe he produced a track on the LV Joint. Anyway it was he who introduced me to Dave, and Dave who intoduced me to protools. (During the pre HD/192 days)

Speaking of which Didn't you mix the Tweet on the now defunct useless mix system????

Or was it the holy grail of recording the HD/192

Of course ya'll know I"m jokinggrudge
Yes, I know Colin... I did some mixes for him for Jamelia, Beenie Man, Glamma Kid, and some others I think. Great guy. He was supposed to come to the states but got into a car accident or something. I'm gonna stop commenting on the Tweet record because if I tell people I mixed in all in pro tools, people say they can tell. If I tell people I mixed it off 2", they say they can tell. I went for a much different sound on that record than I usually do anyway. I mean, I literally just mixed a song on a Roland VS, and the day before did a mix off 2" with a 9K. I look at the different medias as different challenges. I guess I'm just at a point in my career where I just don't care what studio, what format, what time of the day, what budget, what is my quest, etc... anything is.

Back on the topic, KD came with it on the new Toni Braxton cd. Dude haddit impressed me in a while till this one. The songs kind of don't go anywhere, but the drums bang nicely.
Old 25th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
posted by e-cue:
I literally just mixed a song on a Roland VS
I love it!!!

Oh, I know I'm gonna get flamed to charcoal-broiled here for saying this, but those babies rock.

When I got my PT rig, peeps were telling me, "Oh, you're gonna throw that VS880EX of yours in the trash."

F&CK THAT! I loved it before I got PT, and I still love it, and still use it, as a "front-end" to PT, as a recording deck. No latency bullshit...plug and play. Then dump those tracks via S/PDIF into PT for editing and mixing.

Quote:
I look at the different medias as different challenges. I guess I'm just at a point in my career where I just don't care what studio, what format, what time of the day, what budget, what is my quest, etc... anything is.
WORD! GOSPEL! I SANCTIFY THEE! RIGHT ON, GOOD BROTHER!!!
Old 25th November 2002
Lives for gear

Back on the Toni Braxton project... I just realized how much incredible engineering is going on this disc. (again, a lot of the songs, well, they ain't no "Unbreak My Hearts")... Some ultracool "Air band" BG vocals.

KD, Jean Marie Horvat, Brian Springer, Blake English, Dexter Simmons... Some of the greatest engineer experience on any record.
Old 25th November 2002
Here for the gear

recent jazz

on our most recent project, the band is trying to get a 'new york downtown' sort of feel, so we A/B lots of joe ferla (dave douglas' 'in our lifetime' and 'charms of the night sky') as well as james farber's work with the lounge lizards. beautiful spaciousness in those recordings.

-cal
Old 26th November 2002
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
)
Weezer : Buddy Holly (If my mix sounds like this, I'm overcompressing)
Hmmm... I always liked that. It just kind of hangs there and feels nice when you crank it. Funny enough though, most of the bands I work with sound similar. Big dumb guitar rock. I love it!
Old 2nd December 2002
Gear Maniac

For me it's Dr Dre's Chronic 2001 CD.
Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Renie
Charles Dye will be doing a analysis of No doubt's 'Hella Good' in a few days on my 'Guided tour of a hit mix' thread, over on his guest forum, if anyone is interested and wants to join in a discussion.
It'd be great to have the people referencing No Doubt involved.
Damn, that was the first No Doubt song that I haven't liked. No flame intendedrollz
Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by G-man
Damn, that was the first No Doubt song that I haven't liked. No flame intendedrollz
IMO, there is a HUGE difference between songs I "like" and songs that have good production. Fugazi, Slum Village, jackson 5 and the Pixies come to mind.
Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

yeah, but isn't slum villages' "bad" production actually on purpose?........or are you talking about the new album that just sounds plain bad (real thin sounding apart from a couple of tracks)?
Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
IMO, there is a HUGE difference between songs I "like" and songs that have good production. Fugazi, Slum Village, jackson 5 and the Pixies come to mind.
Totally agreed.

My references are

Quincy Jones- Soul Bossa Nova - for anything w/ horns

XTC- Oranges and Lemons- for electro pop stuff

Iron Butterfly- Metamorphosis - when I'm going for classic rock sounds

Freedy Johnson- don't know the title- I throw this in when I'm mixing singer songwriter acoustic stuff.

Old Dirty Bastard- original solo album

New Edition- Greatest Hits

Beach Boys- Pet Sounds/ Wild Honey... and Paul McCartney- RAM- not so much as mix references, but as room references. I've heard those albums so much, i can tell what's going on in a room when I play them.

Huey Lewis- Greatest Hits

Prince- Batman Soundtrack- another album that lets me know what's going on w the room and monitoring system.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jazzius
yeah, but isn't slum villages' "bad" production actually on purpose?........or are you talking about the new album that just sounds plain bad (real thin sounding apart from a couple of tracks)?
I was refering to Trinity. Sonically, that record really disappointed me... I guess JD took a lot with him when he left. I love for example Jackson 5's "ABC", but there's a sickening amount of messed up bleed, out of tune parts, and that tamborine... *slaps forehead* But what a great song.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

Some of Michael's best singing too!
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

For bass/analogue warmth.............Princes' latest album.........musically fairly dubious (apart from a couple of choons), but what an unbelievably fat, warm bass........i reckon the warmest sounding album ever!
Old 4th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was refering to Trinity. Sonically, that record really disappointed me... I guess JD took a lot with him when he left. I love for example Jackson 5's "ABC", but there's a sickening amount of messed up bleed, out of tune parts, and that tamborine... *slaps forehead* But what a great song.
I grew up on "ABC". That put some funk in my soul forever. That is one heavy goddamn song in the groove category. SHEEEEEYIT!
Old 4th December 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by G-man
Freedy Johnson- don't know the title- I throw this in when I'm mixing singer songwriter acoustic stuff.
"This Perfect World" is one of my references. Produced by Butch Vig; I can't remember who else worked on it. It's really full, with a surprising amount of bass for a folky singer/songwriter record.

Also:

Shudder to Think "Pony Express Record" DC indie rock, but mixed by Andy Wallace. I'm sure some people thought it was a horrible sellout or something, but I like it.

Tom Petty "Wildflowers"

AC/DC "Back in Black"

Wilco "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" I can't believe this was considered unreleasable. I think Jim O'Rourke's mix is incredible.

And many others, depending on the day and mood.
Old 11th December 2002
The question is: why should I use a comercial CD as my reference if this CD is already mastered? Shouldn't I be looking for un-mastered references? You know what I mean? I mix on PT LE thru Truths... and my mixes suck when I compare them to the latest mixes on the same style (from major releases)...

When I'm looking for a reference:
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
SOAD - Toxicity
Sevendust - Animosity
Staind - Break The Cycle
Old 1st November 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Those bands wouldn't be the same with good production. Okay, some Pixies stuff is hard to listen to.
Old 1st November 2003
Gear Nut

I like AC/DC's Back in Black 'cause it doesn't sound mastered by todays standards. If I could get my drums to pop and snap like that someday, I'd be in heaven. Great for checking monitors 'cause everyone is familiar with the song.
Old 1st November 2003
Gear Addict

I like Bleed American by Jimmy Eat World for guitar rock. I think it's self-titled now though.

Bobby Peru
Milwaukee, WI
Old 1st November 2003
Lives for gear

Download
The Eyes of Stanley Pain
Old 1st November 2003
Motown legend

Funny, that ridiculous mix of ABC was a final straw in my decision to leave Motown!

To this day I generally check out monitors using "Honky Tonk Women" and Muddy Waters's "Folk Singer." If both of them don't make me want to give up trying to mix, I KNOW the monitors must be fucked and I'll need to fly blind on the NS-10s.

I reference mixes and mastering to being competitive with whatever is currently on the air in the same genre.
Old 1st November 2003
Lives for gear

Young Bob O,

Thanks for popping this thread back up. I just reread the whole thing and really enjoyed it. Lot's of diverse tastes, but I have a feeling that the CDs listed here would comprise a good sonic education for anybody.

Something I noticed missing, for acoustic references, were the Val Garay productions of James Taylor. There was some amazing engineering on those records. And for it's day, Gino Vannelli's "Brother to Brother" was simply astounding. If you want to hear 1979 with a 'tude, check out that record. Preferably on vinyl. Gino told me they spent over $10,000 at Bernie Grundmans just mastering the thing.

I just realized that I turned this into an oldies thread, but hey, somebody else brought up ABC, didn't they?

Bob, speaking of Motown remixes did I ever tell you about the time Berry asked me to remix Marvin Gaye "Heard It Through the Grapevine"? That's a wild one.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 1st November 2003
Lives for gear

I listen to my last crappy mix for what I wasn't hearing when I mixed it, and try to move on from there.

Peece,
T. Tauri
Old 1st November 2003
Lives for gear

Bobby and Bob,

Great suggestions.. J.E.W. - amazing record, and Honky-tonk woman.. fuggedaboutit.. instant adrenalin boost for any session!

I'm off to the CD player!
Old 2nd November 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
The question is: why should I use a comercial CD as my reference if this CD is already mastered? Shouldn't I be looking for un-mastered references? You know what I mean?

It's like weight training at the gym. The more weight you use, the more muscle you build.

For years, I have had a system in place to A/B from a large database of CDs in an apple to apple fashion against my current mix, in realtime. Exactly gain matched, same D/A, no different than instantly swapping CDs in the same player. 16 bits, 44.1 only. Some years back when I first started doing that, it hurt. I mean, I had already made some hit records, but I was often bummed out about how good I was NOT in a straight up A/B against records I really liked. The only trick is realizing it's a sonic reference and has nothing to do with the MUSIC you are currently mixing. Otherwise, it will mess you up.

I persevered. I got better. Things finally evolved to the point that it's not too often that I get bummed out. It happens now and then, and I usually call or email whoever it is with a compliment. I consider mixing like Nascar racing. Good clean fun, but totally competitive. When somebody (especially somebody I know like Pensado) is pounding me on the monitors, I'm happy for them, and it just makes me work harder to improve. I'd like to think I've made a guy or two work harder myself.

I decided to spot the other guys a mastering job, but not factor that in at all. The higher the bar, the harder I have to work and the higher I have to jump.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 2nd November 2003
Lives for gear

K.

BT
Old 2nd November 2003
Gear Maniac

If I had to use only one recording. It would be Keith Johnson's recording of Resphighi orchestral pieces on the Reference Recordings label. Full orchestral dynamics from ppp to fff, massive requirements for bass extension, I have no CD more demanding in the imaging department. If the monitoring is spot on, the recording is astounding: you can place every instrument precisely. Any problems, and it is just another orchestral CD. Any frequency anomolies will show up, and the power amps will need to be very good not to loose control of the dynamics in the bass.

Not that it matters for this poll, but I think he received a Grammy nomination for "Best Classical Recording" with this effort. Believe it or not the original performance of the work, as written, called for over 1000 performers: musicians, choral, dancers, etc! It was only every performed that way once. Too expensive, I guess.
Old 2nd November 2003
Gear Nut

funny how great mixes aren't ever my favorite albums. I'm always amazed at how well some of Heart's earlier stuff sounds. I'll be flipping through my classic rock channel and I'll hear "magic man" and its really quite a good mix.

Bjorks new album Vesper (somethingorother) Spike Stent is my hero.

Verve. Urban hymns. Man I love the drums on that CD. Chris Potter has a style all his own.

U2. Joshua tree. Listen to the base and drums on 'still haven't found..' And notice those late 80s mastering jobs. Nothing over the top.

Daniel Lanois. Shine. About as perfect a recording as I've ever heard.

PJ Harvey 'Is this desire" produced by flood. Me likey flood. Me extra likey Pj Harvey
Old 2nd November 2003
Lives for gear

Sorry, way to hard to get it down to one.
Different choons for different sessions but to narrow it down (slightly):

Hip Hop
ATCQ:Midnight Marauders, steve biko/award tour
Gang Star: The Miltia
Everlast: Deadly Assassins
and various PE, mos def/talib, roots, beasties, dr. dre

Guitars n 'ting
Rage Against the Machine: 1st album
Smashing Pumpkins: Mellon Collie....
Radiohead: OK Computer
The Eels: Souljacker/Shootenanny

Electronica
Prodigy: Gilted Generation
The Avalanches: Since I left You
Plaid: Double Figure
Portishead

What can I say,I listen to loads before I start work, normally spend an hour or so before the session starts listening to different shit. One track may have a kick I want to hear, another a snare and so on
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear