The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Phoenix DRS2 or Great River MP2NV
Old 22nd November 2002
Bernard 
Phoenix DRS2 or Great River MP2NV

I recently tried the Great River MP2NV and really loved it. I will be puchasing one soon. But I've also been reading great things about the DRS2 from Phoenix Audio. Unfortunatley it's not likely I'll get to try one up here in Canada, but I'd really like some feedback from any users. Any feedback as to the sonic differences in these two units or are they fairly similar. I'll probably be in the market for one soon as well. I'm just undecided as to which would be the most flexible in the interim for a small pro tools based project studio.
Old 22nd November 2002
member no 666

The good news is that you can't go wrong with either... the better news is that they compliment each other brilliantly. The MP-2NV is a bit more versatile than the DRS-2 [impedance and loading switches, along with an 'insert point' between the input and output amplifiers]... however it seems to me that the DRS-2 as a bit more headroom.

How do they sound? Great. How will they sound in your application? With your mics? On your music? Probably fine.

FWIW, I've used them in identical applications with excellent results. FWIW, I've found that when I use them both on a recording, the tones blend very nicely but the sounds maintain their separation.

Sorry I can't get more specific about the nature of the tones... but I can't describe the differences between colors on paint chips either...

Best of luck with your search.
Old 22nd November 2002
This was posted over at Massenberg's forum (it wasn't me):

http://theprojectstudiohandbook.com/session1.htm

These MP3's sound crystal clear to me, and I find that they represent the mic preamps on the list quite well. The only thing is that the low end frequency power of the MP-2NV isn't shown because there is no bass guitar or kick drum. Other than that it's pretty easy to hear the differences even on a pair of cheap computer speakers. Good Luck.
Old 26th November 2002
Gear Head

Re: Phoenix DRS2 or Great River MP2NV

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernard
I recently tried the Great River MP2NV and really loved it.
Bernard, I agree with Fletcher about not going wrong with either mic pre but I am not sure I agree about the Phoenix having more headroom.

But it really doesn't matter, the Great River is solid piece of gear and I believe you will find it a lot more versitale. It has a very forward sound to it especially for vocals and if I only had one mic pre the NV would be my choice.

Lee
Old 27th November 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

With the NV you can also choose how many and how much you want to drive the output amplifier gain blocks, in stages of 2 or 3. That means more sonic variation, IOW. I don't know that the DRS2 can do this.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear