The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vocal Mic for around £600 Condenser Microphones
Old 12th December 2007
Here for the gear

Vocal Mic for around £600

Hi,

Im thinking of getting the TLM 103, which I have heard tracks recorded on, but have never used one.

Im using it for vocals, mainly male, mainly hip hop.

Any other mics worth trialing before I buy?

Thanks
Old 12th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipsnip View Post
Hi,

Im thinking of getting the TLM 103, which I have heard tracks recorded on, but have never used one.

Im using it for vocals, mainly male, mainly hip hop.

Any other mics worth trialing before I buy?

Thanks
Tlm 103 worked for gnarls barclay! Shure SM7s are great for hiphop/rapping too and half the price. TLM 103 is very clean and not all that fat in the bass. Nice all round mic tho if you ever need to do female vox etc as well.
Old 12th December 2007

Make sure you try it with different pres because the TLM103 can sound really harsh.

I hated it through a Drawmer 1960, but the Gnarls Barkley album Cee-lo used one through a neve preamp (TLM103 fed into a Neve 33118 microphone preamp/EQ, compressed through a UA 1176 according to soundonsound mag)- that sounds mighty smoot!

How bout the SE Gemini? (EDIT sorry, Z5600 - tube mic, cheaper than Gemini)

Shure KSM44?
Old 12th December 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks for your advice guys.

I would be running the 103 through a 6176, so its encouraging to know a similar chain works well for cee-lo.

I will look at the SE options too. I looked at the gemini, but aparently the high end never stops and it sounds really really transparent, im not sure this would be good for hip hop.
Old 12th December 2007
Lives for gear

Microtech Gefell M930. thumbsup

A bit smoother that the TLM103 IMHO, although it's fair to say your 6176 is gonna smooth pretty much anything out!
Old 12th December 2007
Gear Nut

Given the exchange rate you could probably pick up a used U87 from a US seller for that amount.
Old 12th December 2007
amd
Lives for gear

I would pick up a used U87ai instead of the TLM 103, it has a more pronounced midrange that in my experience cuts through the mix better with rap vocals. Plus the pad, filter and patters can come in handy.
Old 13th December 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd View Post
I would pick up a used U87ai instead of the TLM 103, it has a more pronounced midrange that in my experience cuts through the mix better with rap vocals. Plus the pad, filter and patters can come in handy.
Cheers guys - will look into all those options.
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Nut

I really don´t get the Neumann TLM-series. Today I tested the TLM49, and to me it sounds dull and lifeless. I had the same experience with the TLM103 (with several pre-amps). For the same price you get the SE Gemini, that really sounds impressive! And for half the money you get the SE Z5600A, with a much richer sound than the TLM103. I might add that I don´t do hip hop, but I can´t imagine any situation where a TLM would be the first choise...
Old 4th January 2008
Gear Addict

Also consider a second hand soundelux u195. A very versatile mic ,excellent for hip hop vox and other sources;definately better than a tlm 103 and arguably better than a u87 for what you have in mind.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search